× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 low speeds with gigabit

Bergynet
Aspirant

XR500 low speeds with gigabit

Hello friends! I am currently on a gigabit speed plan (1000mbps up/40mbps down) with my internet provider (Cox Communication) and I am using the Netgear XR500 Nighthawk router with an Arris Surfboard sb8200 modem, capable of up to 2gig down.

From the router, hard lined with a cat 6 ethernet cable I am of course pulling the advertised speed of around 980mbps down. However on my PC, via Wi-Fi about 60 feet away from the router I am pulling around 550-600mbps.

I purchased a Netgear Nighthawk Extender (EX-8000) which I am hard lined into my PC with the same cat 6 ethernet cable, again about 60 feet away from router, and the speeds are the same as without the extender via Wi-Fi. Around 550-600mbps down.

I have turned off QoS and the issues persist.

I live in an 1800sqft 2 bedroom apartment. My internet provider sent their tech who came and laid all new coax cable and splitter in the line and we both confirmed the advertised speed is being pulled on their end in the apartment. There is no obstructions with the exception of 1 plaster wall and the extender next to the door which is open. And yes all the router antenna are facing upward.

Can someone run through settings and channels to make sure I have everything set up correctly?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: XR500 low speeds with gigabit

You won't hit gigabit speeds over wireless AC. Its an unreasonable expectation.  especially since most wireless devices are 1x1 or 2x2 antenna solutions. 

The XR500 is basically a R7800 with optimizations made for gaming (lower latency/ping). Here's some actual tested data on speed testing. It shows you're hitting what you can expect over wireless. Again, wireless AC won't max out gig speeds. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32958-netgear-r7800-nighthawk-x4s-smart-wi...

for more information on wireless, check out duckware.com.  there's a wealth of knownledge you can learn about it. 

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Message 2 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi there, we have responded to your same topic over on the Netduma forum.
Message 3 of 5
Bergynet
Aspirant

I understand I won’t hit gigabit via WiFi. However with the only other device being connected to this router being a phone and moving the PC within 30 feet of range, does this router not broadcast more than 550 mbps down on the 5ghz network? It shows it can go UP to 1,700mbps and I understand that’s wired, but less than half from 30 feet away via WiFi seems a little lower than normal?
Message 4 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It really depends on the environment, the devices, your neighbors etc. Use a WiFi analyzer and find the least congested channel and change to that, if it was congested then that will help.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7