× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500, many devices losing connection to internet.

sevin300zx
Follower

XR500, many devices losing connection to internet.

So I've had this router about 2 months now and it has been doing this since initial setup.  My home network has many internet connected devices, and intermittently they lose connection to the internet (these include wired, and wireless devices) .  They can still be pinged, but will not connect to youtube, netflex, etc.

I called in to the help phone line yesterday and they helped me diagnose it a little further and we found that the device that was currently not working, if assigned a static ip, and placed in the DMZ, it would be able to connect to the internet.  So, we suspect it's a port issue.

The temporary resolution was to assign all devices static IP addresses, then enable port forwarding manually for all the services, by device.

I am interested if anyone can shed some light on what may be causing the blockage of the ports, or if I may be approaching this incorrectly.  I would much rather have UPnP and DHCP handle the ip addresses and port forwarding.

My home network consists of a modem only, to the XR500, which has an 8 port unmanaged switch wired to it, and an EX8000 setup as a mesh extender (wireless)

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 3
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500, many devices losing connection to internet.

If you connect the devices direct to the XR500 as opposed to the switch or extender does that resolve the issue?
Message 2 of 3
B1ggSh00t3r
Apprentice

Re: XR500, many devices losing connection to internet.

@sevin300zx wrote:

So I've had this router about 2 months now and it has been doing this since initial setup.  My home network has many internet connected devices, and intermittently they lose connection to the internet (these include wired, and wireless devices) .  They can still be pinged, but will not connect to youtube, netflex, etc.

I called in to the help phone line yesterday and they helped me diagnose it a little further and we found that the device that was currently not working, if assigned a static ip, and placed in the DMZ, it would be able to connect to the internet.  So, we suspect it's a port issue.

The temporary resolution was to assign all devices static IP addresses, then enable port forwarding manually for all the services, by device.

I am interested if anyone can shed some light on what may be causing the blockage of the ports, or if I may be approaching this incorrectly.  I would much rather have UPnP and DHCP handle the ip addresses and port forwarding.

My home network consists of a modem only, to the XR500, which has an 8 port unmanaged switch wired to it, and an EX8000 setup as a mesh extender (wireless)

I was having a similar issue after my ISP went down for maintenance to conduct an upgrade to the network.  A few devices (Nest Thermostat - Nest App / ADT Security System - ADT Pulse App / Chamberlain Garage Door - myQ), both connected via LAN and via WiFi, would connect to the XR500 but wouldn't communicate with / connect to their system (confirmed after contacting Nest Tech Support and ADT).

I figured out that the IP Address (x2) of the DNS Server I was using was the issue (obtained via NameBench program almost five years ago).  After changing the IP Address (x3) of the DNS Server in the XR500 (Internet Setup), I have NO ISSUES and all devices stay connected.

Try 'Manually" using these DNS Server Addresses - 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8, and 9.9.9.9 - and see if that helps.  It may not work in your situation, but I know it solved my issues.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7