× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 missing Hybrid VPN with latest firmware

larsevss
Aspirant

XR500 missing Hybrid VPN with latest firmware

I have XR500 and I do not see Hybrid VPN on the sidebar. You can see it from the attached screenshot.

I have updated to the latest firmware 2.3.2.40. I don't see the Hybrid VPN in any of the previous versions also. 

I bought XR500 in China. Is that the China version has a different version that hides the Hybrid VPN? I also tried downloading and reflashing the firmware from the English site but it doesn't show Hybrid VPN as well.

If that's the case that the China version bans the Hybrid VPN, then this is outrageous as it didn't say it anywhere before you buy it.

noVPN.png

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 25
Futard
Aspirant

Does the XR500 still NOT have hybrid VPN? Yet the xr700 does? And the R1 as well.....

Message 2 of 25
Morpheous
Aspirant

The xr500 does indeed have the hybridvpn option as you can see here.

Screenshot (80).png

Message 3 of 25
larsevss
Aspirant

Can't see your screenshots. But Mine doesn't have the Hybrid VPN tab.

Message 4 of 25
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi - you need to upgrade to the latest firmware. Please follow this guide, which explains how to upgrade and then how to set it up:
http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000087492--dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-hyb...
Message 5 of 25
larsevss
Aspirant

Hi Jack, I already updated to the latest firmware 2.3.2.40. You can see in my original post that the side bar still doesn't have the Hybrid VPN. 

Message 6 of 25
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Could you click the 'i' icon in the top right corner and double check it says 2.3.2.40 - it's possible the install was not successful.

If it does say that, could you press F12 when you're on your browser. The Console window will open within Chrome on the side of your screen. Ignore this screen, but leave it open. On the usual page refresh button, next to the address bar, right click on it and choose the option to 'Empty Cache and Hard Reload'. That should hopefully then load the correct menu on the side.

If that doesn't work, could you try accessing this link. This will confirm for sure if you truly have Hybrid VPN installed: http://routerlogin.net/desktop/index.html?cache=0#com.netdumasoftware.hybridvpn

Message 7 of 25
Hate
Apprentice

You'll want to downgrade back to .32 with the file from the NETGEAR site, then upgrade to .40 again.

I had issues after initially upgrading to .40 that my Geo-Filter wasn't working, doing the above fixed it and has been working flawless.

Message 8 of 25
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Interesting, that's odd that's happening but good to know you found a fix for your problem. Thanks for letting us know.

Message 9 of 25
EnVy_Hype
Aspirant

I also made a post about this a no one has really helped.

Message 10 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try this, download the v40 FW again from the support site. Use IE11 or FF browser to re-load the FW file. Let the process complete. Log in and go to Advanced Settings/Backup. Select Erase do to a full factory reset. 

Clear ALL browser caches. Then exit the browser. 

Relaunch the browser and walk thru the setup wizard. After it completes, do you see HyridVPN in the routers menu? 

@EnVy_Hype wrote:

I also made a post about this a no one has really helped.

Message 11 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hype can you take a screenshot of your interface please on the Settings page
Message 12 of 25
EnVy_Hype
Aspirant

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Hype can you take a screenshot of your interface please on the Settings page

Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 09.52.16.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-10 at 09.51.50.png

Message 13 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Could it be that VPN is not supported in china?

Message 14 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just replied in other topic, didn't see settings screenshot. Change language to your native language, do you see the Chinese VPN in Settings then?
Message 15 of 25
EnVy_Hype
Aspirant

Also have the same problem, nothing has worked for me so far. 

@Netduma_Jack wrote:

Could you click the 'i' icon in the top right corner and double check it says 2.3.2.40 - it's possible the install was not successful.

If it does say that, could you press F12 when you're on your browser. The Console window will open within Chrome on the side of your screen. Ignore this screen, but leave it open. On the usual page refresh button, next to the address bar, right click on it and choose the option to 'Empty Cache and Hard Reload'. That should hopefully then load the correct menu on the side.

If that doesn't work, could you try accessing this link. This will confirm for sure if you truly have Hybrid VPN installed: http://routerlogin.net/desktop/index.html?cache=0#com.netdumasoftware.hybridvpn

Message 16 of 25
EnVy_Hype
Aspirant

Hi larsevss. If you have wechat follow netgear and you can ask for help. The wechat id is NETGEAR_CHINA

@larsevss wrote:

I have XR500 and I do not see Hybrid VPN on the sidebar. You can see it from the attached screenshot.

I have updated to the latest firmware 2.3.2.40. I don't see the Hybrid VPN in any of the previous versions also. 

I bought XR500 in China. Is that the China version has a different version that hides the Hybrid VPN? I also tried downloading and reflashing the firmware from the English site but it doesn't show Hybrid VPN as well.

If that's the case that the China version bans the Hybrid VPN, then this is outrageous as it didn't say it anywhere before you buy it.

noVPN.png 

Message 17 of 25
EnVy_Hype
Aspirant

I just contacted netgear support and they said China prohibits the use of vpn-related services. I am really annoyed. It is really annoying that they don't tell you before hand. 

Message 18 of 25
maynardsdick
Aspirant

This is so infuriating. The fact that Netgear gave in to the no VPN policies, and the lack of information regarding the missing features. I'm going to contact Netgear China and try to convince them to take back my router. Otherwise I hope this isn't hardware related and can be fixed.

Message 19 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll have take that up with the China gov't. NG has to play by there rules since China seems to prohibit various networking features in that country. VPN is allowed in most other countries. China seems to not want users having privacy. 

Message 20 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As above! However, I was pretty sure that Funjsq had the go ahead on the router. The feature when you change to your Native language it's doesn't work? The screenshot in the other topic looks like it's available.
Message 21 of 25
maynardsdick
Aspirant

Funsjq is there when the client is switched to Chinese. But it's a so-called "gaming accelerator", which acts as a tunnelling device only for games, but not for anything else. The functionality of a VPN is basically none existent. 

I understand the regulations and such the Chinese Government imposes on companies due to censorship, but it would be great if someone can provide some insight (probably anonymously) on whether these limitations can be bypassed. From the looks of it, the lack of Hybrid VPN should only be limited by software right?

Message 22 of 25
maynardsdick
Aspirant

Yeah the situation regarding these subjects is looking quite bleak. Things only seem to be getting worse.

Message 23 of 25
EnVy_Hype
Aspirant

Netgear China now says that every single router in China is not supported. I have so many vpn routers and they still work in my parents home.

Message 24 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

All I know is Netgear weren't able to do so on this occasion. If it's possible in the future to add the functionality back for China I'm sure they will do so
Message 25 of 25
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7