× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 no ethernet connection to plusnet router

Skubla
Aspirant

XR500 no ethernet connection to plusnet router

I have my XR500 connected to plusnet via Ethernet into the internet port.
It has lost connection. I’ve rebooted both devices.
I’ve hardwired a different device into plusnet a and all ports work.
I connect the XR500 and the internet light is off and on the router dashboard I’m told there is no Ethernet cable connected.
I’ve performed a factory reset but that hasn’t helped as the setup wizard also tells me there is no Ethernet connection.

It’s not the first time there’s been an issue but that was with a talk talk router and it would reconnect after a reset.

Any ideas?
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.

What CAT# lan cable are you using between the modem/router and the XR router? CAT6 is recommended. 

Power OFF the modem/router for 30 seconds then back ON. Then power OFF The XR router for 10 seconds then back ON. Does the Internet LED turn on WHITE?

Message 2 of 13
Skubla
Aspirant

The firmware is 2.3.2.134

I’m using a plusnet hub 2 m/n GRV95I7UWAC34-A
Message 3 of 13
Skubla
Aspirant

I’m using a cat 5. Ordered cat 6.

I’ve performed the on/off as you suggested and I still have no light for the internet.

I looked at making NG an AP but I wanted a guest network for devices that weren’t core my my house setup and to separate bandwidth load between myself and my lodger. Is this something I don’t need?
Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You might give option #2 a try and see if this helps...the XR router should work with a router in front of it. 

Do you know the IP address string for the LAN side of the modems router? Could it be 192.168.1.1 by chance? This would conflict with the same IP address that the XR uses though it should change this address on the XR itself to something different. 

Message 5 of 13
Skubla
Aspirant

I’ll give option 2 a go tomorrow to see if that fixes it.

The IP address is different so that’s not causing conflict. I would assume that it would cause an issue straight away but it’s been fine for months until early this morning.
Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 7 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Reboot the plusnet hub, wait 2 minutes, then reboot the XR, wait 2 minutes and access, are you able to get internet then?
Message 8 of 13
Skubla
Aspirant

Hiya,

I've tried option #2 and put the plusnet IP as the DMZ setting and rebooted both devices. 

The internet light is still off, its not registering an ethernet cable still on either device. 

I've got a CAT 6 coming this evening so I'll put that in and see if that makes any difference

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible bad cable...hope new one works.

Message 10 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Not sure what you mean regarding the DMZ, keep us posted
Message 11 of 13
Skubla
Aspirant

The new cable works but all the playing I did in the router settings is now causing issues. It’s now confused with plusnet IP.

I’ve done a factory reset but it doesn’t seem to be wiping the router settings.

When I try logging into routerlogin it’s really slow connection and I can’t get past the first few set up screens before the connection times out
Message 12 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you trying to force a connection to the interface using HTTPS? If so use HTTP and it should be much faster. Could you clarify what you mean that it's confused with the Plusnet IP? How did you do the factory reset exactly?
Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7