× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 not able to use ethernet ports

Hookset
Aspirant

XR500 not able to use ethernet ports

Wifi works great. Ethernet when plugged into my PC shows "Network cable unplugged" in adapter settings and has not internet. The ethernet1 light is not on. This is also after i have tried disabling and enabling the ethernet adapter. I have a Spectrum modem and 300download 10upload on wifi. Any help here??

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: XR500 not able to use ethernet ports

Try different port, lan cable or different PC or other device. Cat 6 is recommended.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 14
Hookset
Aspirant

Firmware is V2.3.2.134

using the cat 5e cable that was included with the router. cat 6 is going from modem to router.

only numbers on the ISP modem are S/N: . CM MAC:. MTA MAC: 

The modem is brand new, just got spectrum internet last week and the xr500 this week.

Message 3 of 14
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Can you try the ethernet cable from your PC to the XR in a couple of different LAN ports on the XR? That way we'll know if it's just an issue with the LAN port on the XR or not.

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

There's not brand name printed anywhere on the modem case? 

Maybe a Hitron? 

FYI, please don't post Serial numbers or MAC addresses in public forums for security reasons. 

@Hookset wrote:

Firmware is V2.3.2.134

using the cat 5e cable that was included with the router. cat 6 is going from modem to router.

only numbers on the ISP modem are S/N: . CM MAC:. MTA MAC: 

The modem is brand new, just got spectrum internet last week and the xr500 this week.

Message 5 of 14
Hookset
Aspirant

the only name on the modem anywhere is Spectrum. its the default spectrum modem they give, just modem not a 2n1 router/modem

Message 6 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Any feedback on the suggestion from Liam?
Message 7 of 14
Hookset
Aspirant

OK so i ordered cat 6 cables and tried in each lan port, none work. they turn orange for a few secs then the light disappears..

Message 8 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you purchase the XR new or second hand? It may be worth trying for a replacement as it is likely faulty
Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you've tried a factory reset, power cycle OFF for 1 minute then back on and complete the setup wizard, re-load FW on to the router and the LAN ports still don't work, i'd get the router replaced. Seems like a HW failure to me. 

@Hookset wrote:

OK so i ordered cat 6 cables and tried in each lan port, none work. they turn orange for a few secs then the light disappears..

Message 10 of 14
Hookset
Aspirant

OK so it appears to be a problem with my PCs ethernet port? Xbox works fine when plugged into the router? How should i troubleshoot ehternet port on PC?

Message 11 of 14
Hookset
Aspirant

OK so it appears to be a problem with my PCs ethernet port? Xbox works fine when plugged into the router? How should i troubleshoot ehternet port on PC?

Message 12 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd recommend checking the support page for the manufacturer of the ethernet card in your PC
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to update the ethernet adapter drivers on the PC. 

If the PC is a desktop PC and has a open PCI card slot, install a new different Ethernet adapter and disable the other adapter. 

@Hookset wrote:

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7