× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 not allowing some wifi devices to connect to Internet.

rohopo
Aspirant

XR500 not allowing some wifi devices to connect to Internet.

Our new XR500 does not allow two specific computers to connect to the Internet when using WiFi.  All other WiFi devices connect fine.  These two devices DO connect to the Internet when using Ethernet.  Both computers are identical HP Pavillions.

Router details:

Model:  XR500

Firmware:  V2.3.2.22

Thanks in advance...

Message 1 of 27

@rohopo wrote:

Our new XR500 does not allow two specific computers to connect to the Internet when using WiFi. 

What does "Does not allow" mean?

Where do you see any error messages?

@rohopo wrote:

All other WiFi devices connect fine. 

This strongly suggests that the problem is with the reluctant wifi clients rather than the router.

Message 2 of 27
rohopo
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:
What does "Does not allow" mean?

The computers appear to be connected to the Internet, however, any attempts to access any websites result in timeouts.  This is true for both Chrome and IE.

@michaelkenward wrote:

Where do you see any error messages?

In the browsers after the timeout occurs, we see ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT (in Chrome).

Also, when running the network troubleshooter, this error is displayed:

Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (www.microsoft.com) is not responding
Detected
Detected
Contact your network administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)
Completed
Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (www.microsoft.com). The computer or service you are trying to reach might be temporarily unavailable.

@michaelkenward wrote:

This strongly suggests that the problem is with the reluctant wifi clients rather than the router.

I would agree, however both clients connected fine with the previous Netgear router.  So, I think it may be a combination of the clients and the router.

Thank you.

Message 3 of 27
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have static IP addresses on the WiFi devices? When connected via WiFi are you able to access the router interface?
Message 4 of 27
rohopo
Aspirant

All my devices are currently DHCP, served up by the router.  Should I go ahead and lock down the two problem computers?  If so, does it matter which static IPs I assign?

I have not yet tried to access the admin interface from the problem computers.  I will do that now.

Message 5 of 27
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes I would try doing that. No but I would select ones that are within the DHCP lease range for consistency.
Message 6 of 27
MAPE15
Guide

Rohopo,

I am also experiencing this issue with only two devices that are the newest in my household. The devices are iPhone XS and Amazon Echo Dot (3rd Generation). I know it is a software or hardware bug with my XR500 as I tested two different Echo Dots and 4 different iPhone XS's and have received the same issue appear. Did setting a static IP resolve your issue for your two devices? I do not think I can set static for both of my devices.

Message 7 of 27

@MAPE15 wrote:

I know it is a software or hardware bug with my XR500 as I tested two different Echo Dots and 4 different iPhone XS's and have received the same issue appear.

That argument breaks the rules of logic.

That three Eco Dots and five iPhone XSs have the same behaviour merely confirms that Eco Dots and iPhone XSs have a problem. It says nothing about the XR500.

The way to confirm that is to use the Eco Dots and iPhone XSs on different wifi sources, other than the XR500. Only then will you be able to pin the blame on the XR500. I strongly suspect that you will find that, but until then you can't make that claim.

Message 8 of 27
MAPE15
Guide

I have used my iPhone on other WiFi networks and can confirm its my router not my device. The issue does not happen on other WiFi networks.
Message 9 of 27
ImranRn
Aspirant

Hi guys.

was there any resolution to this? I'm having the same issue at the moment.

I have some device ( ios devices ) not able to connect to the internet.

It says connected but no internet.

Please help

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 10 of 27
MAPE15
Guide

I put in ticket with Netgear support. They were supposed to call me same day but instead ignored me. They still have not called me back. I am thinking about selling my router and going to another brand. Customer service is King when it comes to loyal customers and they have fallen way short.
Message 11 of 27
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Do you have the case ID Mape? We can follow this up for you.

@ImranRn Official support is here FYI: https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 12 of 27
MAPE15
Guide

Here is my case id that I currently have open. It's for another issue but I know it's a Netgear router issue. I connected my devices to my uverse router from ISP and all my devices connect fine. The xr500 is not compatible with iPhone XS and Amazon echo dot 3rd generation or my router is just defective. Support Case #40850661
Message 13 of 27
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've escalated it to a colleague to pass onto Netgear. For those devices what happens when you try to use them on WiFi? If you disable QoS fully in Anti-Bufferbloat options do they function normally?
Message 14 of 27
MAPE15
Guide

QoS is not in use. Those devices only support wifi.
Message 15 of 27
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is QoS disabled fully? Not just set to never etc. I know but what occurs when you connect them to the wifi, are there any errors that appear on the devices or do they simply not receive internet at all?
Message 16 of 27
MAPE15
Guide

The only type of QoS that I have used in that case is the geofilter and using the spectator mode. Is that what you are referring to? The devices will connect to WiFi but internet doesn't work.
Message 17 of 27
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

On the QoS page, click the 3 line icon on the Anti-Bufferbloat panel and click disable QoS then try again with your devices please. When they connect to the router do you see them appear on the device manager?
Message 18 of 27
MAPE15
Guide

Wow after months of having issues with wi-fi, you found the fix/workaround! I am speechless...you are a genius! You know more than Netgear support people. I will now monitor this to see if the issue re-arises again and let you know!

So that tells me that QoS feature of XR500 has a software bug that makes it incompatible with iPhone XS and Amazon Echo. How do we get this esclated to the developers to fix? I want my router to be able to use DPI (deep packet inspection) as well as preventing network congestion.

Message 19 of 27

@MAPE15 wrote:

Wow after months of having issues with wi-fi, you found the fix/workaround! I am speechless...you are a genius! You know more than Netgear support people. 

That is probably because Netgear did not write the firmware for the XR500. That was the work of Netduma, which seems to have been the source of the reply you got.

Message 20 of 27
MAPE15
Guide

Right but they need to know how it works since they are the support for the routers not netduma support team. Do you have the same issue? What's the fix to make QoS work with iPhone XS and echo dot?
Message 21 of 27
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear that, thanks for the update. Before I escalate to developers I'd like to try and narrow in on the issue if possible. Enable it again by unticking the disable option then untick DumaOS Classified Games, does the devices work properly then?
Message 22 of 27
MAPE15
Guide

I have set it up like you said and with classified games on, it halts completely. With classified games off, it works fine. So the issue with QoS to report to develoipers is that the anti-bufferfloat QoS automatic/natural prioritization feature (classified games) does not work with latest devices. I cannot imagine I am only the one having this issue? You were right that this is a DumaOS firmware issue. Good catch!

Message 23 of 27
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Fantastic, glad to hear we've narrowed in on the issue! I will pass this on to the team for them to reproduce/look into.
Message 24 of 27
MAPE15
Guide

Great. I will keep QoS off for now since there is a bug with it. Do I really need QoS if I have a gigabit connection at home?

Message 25 of 27
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7