× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 not detecting internet

XR500 not detecting internet

Hoping for some help

I have connected my XR500 to my fibre modem and the internet light on the modem is a solid orange (amber for those who call it that). I have tried everything I could find on this forum. I restarted the whole system in the correct order, I hard reset the modem, hard reset the router. The sad part is that I plugged in my crappy basic router and it works, PERFECTLY. Internet detected and everything works fine. So I plugged in the XR500 again, restarted the whole system in the correct order and used the MAC address of basic router and still no luck. I'm super frustrated because clearly there's no problem from the ISP's side but no matter what I do I can't seem to get the bloody thing to recognize the internet.

Any help is appreciated

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: XR500 not detecting internet

what fibre modem is it? 

Some have integrated router functions that either need to be disabled or the router placed in AP mode to work properly. 

Message 2 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you know if you use PPPoE or VLAN? I would suggest copying the WAN Settings from the previous router and putting that into the Internet Setup on the XR and it should work.
Message 3 of 11

The modem is a Chorus Model Type 300. Interesting thought, you think it might work in AP mode rather than router mode?

Message 4 of 11
plemans
Guru

from what I could find on the chorus 300 it seems to have an integrated router. 

Message 5 of 11

The settings are PPPoE, have tried entering the recommended WAN settings from my ISP but that didn't work either. Might try this though, its worth a shot

Message 6 of 11

So this means AP mode might/should work?

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

if its running in router mode, placing the XR500 into AP mode would work. or there might be an option on the chorus to place it in passthrough/gateway only mode. 

https://www.chorus.co.nz/q/model-type-300

Message 8 of 11

Couldn’t find any way to place it in pass through/gateway mode. Also placing the xr500 in AP mode didn’t help. I did it twice after a hard reset and after selecting AP mode and rebooting the xr500 my computer wouldn’t even connect to it, it would detect it but I couldn’t get into the router menu
Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

what are all the led's on the chorus doing? color/blinking/etc. 

does more than 1 device work at a time if you hook them into the chorus? 

Message 10 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

For PPPoE it is important to switch it to 'Always Connect' in order to sustain a connection. Could you take a screenshot of the internet setup? In AP mode you wouldn't be able to use the XR features and also it wouldn't be handling PPPoE so should be no reason it doesn't work - indicates to me there could be an issue with the modem allowing a connection through.
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7