× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 not finding closest server anymore

NorCAL2700
Aspirant

XR500 not finding closest server anymore

So i have the XR500 and have everything set according to the "Optimization tips and tricks for Fortnite" guide. My issue is that I live in Northern California where one of the NA-West servers is located, but even with Strict/Filtering mode on, the NorCal sever does not show up on the map only the Oregon server. I've had the router now for approximately 3-4 months and was not an issue until now, I've already updated to the latest firmware and I'm still being forced to play on Oregon servers when spectating mode is active and when I turn on filtering mode I cant join any matches at all. I went from having 5-20 ping on the NorCal server to 30-50 ping on the Oregon server. Is there a reason why I cant see/join the NorCal server anymore? I'm currently playing on ps4, btw.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
NorCAL2700
Aspirant

**Update: I tired switching server regions in-game to "Auto" and my ping is back to normal and the NorCal server shows up again. I had the server region on NA-West, but for somereason instead of connecting me to the closest server on NA-West it was automatically defaulting me to the Orgeon server each time.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
NorCAL2700
Aspirant

**Update: I tired switching server regions in-game to "Auto" and my ping is back to normal and the NorCal server shows up again. I had the server region on NA-West, but for somereason instead of connecting me to the closest server on NA-West it was automatically defaulting me to the Orgeon server each time.

Message 2 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I know a few days ago there was a notice in game to use the Auto region as they were having issues with specific region selections so thats likely why
Message 3 of 8
NorCAL2700
Aspirant

Yeah i think their matchmaking is in need of a tune-up. According to the Auto and NA-West region matchmaking i should be experiencing about 16 ping (NorCal servers) yet i keep getting put into the Oregon region and experiencing 40-50 ping so obviously I'm being put into the wrong region. I switched to Auto matchmaking earlier today and i was put into the NorCal servers for 2 matches, but then i was placed in Oregon servers after that. I keep playing with the regions and switching between Auto and West, but no luck. Ive joined probably 30 matches today with only 3 of them being placed in NorCal servers. Im guessing I'll just have to wait until Epic solves their server issues once and for all.
Message 4 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Although they're having issues try using the Geo-Filter to force NorCal servers
Message 5 of 8
NorCAL2700
Aspirant

I have been using geo-filtering the issue is when I activate FILTERING the game tries to connect to the Oregon server, gets stuck on loading then kicks me back to the lobby screen with an error message that says there was a network connection issue since i dont allow it to connect to the Oregon server. I keep trying join matches for 10-20 minutes encountering the same error message until i am forced to switch to SPECTATING to be able to play and of course its on always on the Oregon servers.
Message 6 of 8
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Another user has said the same - so it sounds a lot like Fortnite are using the Cali server far less (or perhaps have discontinued it for now). When did you last see it, if ever?
Message 7 of 8
NorCAL2700
Aspirant

Last night. Im guessing they only use cali servers if a certain amount of ppl are playing at a given time on the west coast and it also depends on the game mode. Since I first posted here i've noticed that at night i'll be put on the cali servers more often than mornings.

In the morning i can join 10-20 matches and not be put on cali servers at all or maybe once or twice, but at night if i join 10 matches about 5 of those 10 matches ill be on cali servers.

If i join the team rumble game mode ill be placed in cali servers more often but solos, duos and squads im usually placed in Orgeon servers more often.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7