× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 not letting NAS connect properly to the internet

maxgro
Guide

XR500 not letting NAS connect properly to the internet

Hi all,

I found out that my NAS isn't working properly anymore since I changed from an R7800 (X4s) to the XR500. I have a WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra NAS which has an AppStore, there the apps no longer show up, meaning it's not connecting properly to the App Store of WD. Next, I also found out on the drive that I cannot register new users for cloud access because the NAS cannot send the confirmation email that's needed for setup. 

What's interesting though is that partly the online connection works, because when I access the files manager though the WD web browser interface, I can see all my files there, indicating the connection works partly. It's possible that this is routed through a different port.

I was on the phone with WD support and also had a remote support screen sharing session and in the end, WD said that they checked everything and all diagnostics. When they asked me when these issues started I remembered that I bought a new router and this is the first time I actually tried to connect to the NAS via the internet since I need to update the Apps on the NAS.

Are there any settings that I have to change, ports I need to forward to let the NAS access the Internet properly?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 not letting NAS connect properly to the internet

I'll be interested to hear the results of that test.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have the NAS connected via ethernet cable to the router? The devices you're trying to access it with are they using WiFi? If you use a wired device to connect does it work correctly? To rule out port issues you could put the NAS IP in the DMZ function in WAN Settings and see if it works then.
Message 2 of 11
maxgro
Guide

The device is connected with Ethernet cable on port 1, I also tried another port just in case, but that of course didn't change anything.

I have never setup a DMZ server before on my local network the NAS is assign IP 10.0.0.3. So what I did, but maybe incorrectly, is to setup a DMZ server with this IP. The issue remained.

Message 3 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You did that correctly so that's not the issue, you can remove it from the DMZ now. Go to the QoS page, in the Anti-Bufferbloat menu (3 lines top left of the panel) disable QoS completely and see if that resolves it please.
Message 4 of 11
maxgro
Guide

Thank you for your reply.
I don’t have bufferbloat, nor QoS nor the geography restriction turned on.
Message 5 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It needs to be disabled from that option window in order for it to be fully turned off, even if you're not using it. How do you access the NAS, I assume it's through a local IP and not an external IP?
Message 6 of 11
maxgro
Guide

Yeah it is disabled.

I think local IP should be fine. I just want that the NAS has internet access so I can download apps.
Message 7 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you set the router to AP mode please and try then, that will essentially disable DumaOS functionality, if it works then thats something we need to look at. If it doesn't then that's something you'll need to create a Netgear ticket for.
Message 8 of 11
maxgro
Guide

Sounds good I’ll try it and report back.
Message 9 of 11
maxgro
Guide

I tried that, nothing worked anymore after that. I called my ISP they sent me a FritzBox with Fiber optic port to test. I will try it tonight. If it will work I will RMA the router. 

So far I contacted Netgear support --> Did not resolve the problem

Western Digital Support --> Did not resolve the problem

In the end, WD blames Netgear and Netgear blames WD:

Called my ISP and explained the problem --> connection looks good, but they said that my router sends some weird logs (must be DumaOS). The ISP offered a free test router to find out if it's a NAS or Router issue.

In the end, WD blames Netgear and Netgear blames WD. 

Message 10 of 11
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

I'll be interested to hear the results of that test.

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7