× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 question whether or not we can block a specific IP address doing DoS attack

bevant
Apprentice

XR500 question whether or not we can block a specific IP address doing DoS attack

Hi,

From time to time I get a DoS attack from a specific external IP address. My XR500 sends me a log every few minutes telling me that it's from a particular IP address. The attack can go on for hours. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 15.06.17.png

Is there some ways I can put these IP address in a blacklist so that it just ignores any attempts from the IP address?

It doesn't get through but it's just annoying. 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 question whether or not we can block a specific IP address doing DoS attack

@bevant you can only do what Liam suggested if you upgrade to the latest beta version. However, there is really no need to do this as it won't be causing any issues for you - in fact if you did block it you may find something you use on the internet stops working as those DoS entries tend to show connections you come in contact with. If the frequent entries annoy you then go to Settings > Monitoring > Logs and untick 'Known DoS attacks and Port Scans' then they will stop appearing.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 question whether or not we can block a specific IP address doing DoS attack

Logs are verbose as they are primarily for developers. They are not meant for users to come up with an issue. DoS Attack entries are common on Netgear routers and do cause unnecessary panic. They appear just from browsing the internet etc, where abouts are you located? Looking up that IP shows a company in the Netherlands. The entries initially appear harmless and DoS protection is enabled by default anyway if there was something sinister happening you'd be protected.

Message 2 of 9
bevant
Apprentice

Hi Liam,

I'm in Australia. I know I'm protected but it's just annoying it shows in the log ....just wondering if I can just ban that IP and get the router to ignore the IP altogether.;...

but I guess I can just tell the log to ignore DoS entries?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 9
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

You could try blocking the IP in traffic controller? Not sure if this will stop the logs from registering it though.

Message 4 of 9
bevant
Apprentice

Hi Liam,

I looked in traffic meter but I couldn't find where to enter the IP address? Is it under some other section that I've missed?

Thanks.

Message 5 of 9
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Sorry, I think I've jumped the gun there, what firmware version are you currently running?

Message 6 of 9
bevant
Apprentice

Message 7 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@bevant you can only do what Liam suggested if you upgrade to the latest beta version. However, there is really no need to do this as it won't be causing any issues for you - in fact if you did block it you may find something you use on the internet stops working as those DoS entries tend to show connections you come in contact with. If the frequent entries annoy you then go to Settings > Monitoring > Logs and untick 'Known DoS attacks and Port Scans' then they will stop appearing.
Message 8 of 9
bevant
Apprentice

Yeah that’s what I ended up doing. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7