× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 randomly drops internet throughout the day

sev7nflow
Apprentice

XR500 randomly drops internet throughout the day

Hello, My nighthawk netgear xr500 router keeps randomly dropping connection and all the lights turn off throughout the day. The only thing that fixes it is if I reset the power on the router. I looked throughout the forums and alot of people seem to be running into this problem, but I haven't had a fix - please help!

I am on the latest firmware V2.3.2.134

Message 1 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 randomly drops internet throughout the day

In LAN Settings, set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.
Message 2 of 36
sev7nflow
Apprentice

i think i've done this correctly - see screenshot. I am still getting random router drops where all lights suddenly turn off. The power stays on and internet glows orangescreenshot.png

Message 3 of 36
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Unfortunately we can't see that screenshot as it's not been moderated yet. Could you perhaps attach the screenshot instead of pasting it in.

Message 4 of 36
sev7nflow
Apprentice

sure here you go 

Message 5 of 36
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

That looks good, do you only have three devices connected to the XR? If not, you may actually need to reserve IPs for every device on the network in order to prevent these crashes.

Message 6 of 36
sev7nflow
Apprentice

yes - just one person living here so only 3-4 devices regularly used. 

The dropping is still happening - the router just turns off with the power glowing amber

Message 7 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It may be a power issue then, is it connected to an extender rather than direct to a wall outlet? If so can you connect it directly to an outlet and see if that resolves it?
Message 8 of 36
sev7nflow
Apprentice

it is connected directly to a wall socket

Message 9 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have a spare power adapter you can use with the same voltage to see if that is at fault?
Message 10 of 36
sev7nflow
Apprentice

i actually just purchased one - 120v 5a - will try that and post back if issues

Message 11 of 36
sev7nflow
Apprentice

so i've used the new power adapter - same problem occurs... what is going on? this is very frustrating to constantly disconnect and have to reset my router

Message 12 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When this happens it seems like the router is actually turning off/resetting, I would highly recommend that you setup the logging in routerlogin.net/debug.htm with a USB attached to the router so it can save it to that when the issue occurs and contact Netgear support directly as I don't think this will be a quick/easy fix http://support.netgear.com/

Do try a different wall outlet as well just in case the one you're using has issues, just so you can rule it out.
Message 13 of 36
sev7nflow
Apprentice

Hello, 

I've tried to get support but it seems my warranty is expired... I bought this the beginning of last year.

I also followed instructions and followed the debug log and have the files ready.

Am i out of luck now since its out of warranty?

Message 14 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I believe so yes but I'm not an expert on their warranty terms, just in the meantime, I'd suggest reupgrading the firmware using the TFTP method, this bypasses the boot process and any issues there then once done do a factory reset for the freshest install possible: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-do-I-upload-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-from-the-M... and hopefully that will give you a bit more stability.
Message 15 of 36
sev7nflow
Apprentice

ive just tried to follow the instructions provided on the page , both using command prompt and Tftpd64 - they are both failing to upload. In command proimpt the error is Connect request failed. I am not getting an error on Tftpd64 but i did notice that the "service interfaces" drop down seems to keep reverting back to "Software loopback interface1"

Message 16 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It sounds like the timing isn't quite right, it can be quite difficult initially to get that down, if you get it right it should send correctly
Message 17 of 36
sev7nflow
Apprentice

what is the correct timing? My Xr500 does not flash the power orange LED. it stays solid and then turns white after a while

Message 18 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Ahh looks like it might be missing a step, between steps 7 & 8 hold the reset button and release it once step 9 occurs, then send the command and see if it works
Message 19 of 36
sev7nflow
Apprentice

I am confused - can you clarify? Between steps 7&8? I tried but im still getting "Connect request failed"

So steps should be 

7. Turn off the router

8. Hold the reset button

9. Turn the router back on with the reset button pressed in?

10. Wait for LED to flash orange?

Message 20 of 36
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Yes, that's correct. If it doesn't start flashing orage after about 15 seconds turn it off and repeat the process of holding the reset pin and powering back on with the pin held. It may take a few tries.

Message 21 of 36
sev7nflow
Apprentice

Hello, it worked and transferred the .img file, however now when I configure the router , after the password screen and security question set up, the screen just remains blank and red. It used to go to the dashboard but now it does not proceed
Message 22 of 36
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Since the upgrade, you may need to clear your browsers cache. It's possibly still trying to serve old cached data. If you could either do that, or try accessing the interface from an incognito window, that should work much better.

Message 23 of 36
sev7nflow
Apprentice

i just tried with incognito - i get this error

400 Bad Request

This server does not support the operation requested by your client.

Message 24 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Try these links specifically:

http://192.168.1.1
http://routerlogin.net
Message 25 of 36
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation