× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 rebooted by itself

ngearftard
Luminary

XR500 rebooted by itself

Today my XR500 with firmware V2.3.2.130 rebooted with no action on my part and no power loss (no power flicker, modem and pc didn't reboot). Upon logging into the XR500's DumaOS admin control panel, I noticed the admin logs were gone, other than showing reboot activity, which is expected following a reboot; however, the Router Auto Firmware Update setting had changed from "I Agree" to "I Disagree." I know for a fact this changed, because I manually check for router and other updates, as well as the logs, on my own every morning as part of my security routine. This is particularly troubling, because I was having online banking 2-factor authentication issues in the ten minutes or so before the router reboot happened. I also got some wonky browser (MS Edge) error messages within the last 24 hours while using cloud-based UIs for applications that handle sensitive information. The admin UI says I still have V2.3.2.130, but I would like to confirm I still have the legitimate firmware and not some imposter. Is there any way to do that? Is there anything else I should do? All virus and malware scans come up negative as usual.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's very unlikely to be a security issue, if you've downloaded the firmware using the router or manually from https://kb.netgear.com/000064346/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-130 then you'll be on the correct version. You could always re-upgrade using the file from this link to be safe. If the XR is connected to an extender connect direct to a wall outlet and that should resolve it - in the past we've seen it can reboot when using an extender.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's very unlikely to be a security issue, if you've downloaded the firmware using the router or manually from https://kb.netgear.com/000064346/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-130 then you'll be on the correct version. You could always re-upgrade using the file from this link to be safe. If the XR is connected to an extender connect direct to a wall outlet and that should resolve it - in the past we've seen it can reboot when using an extender.
Message 2 of 3
ngearftard
Luminary

I see, Fraser. I am using a beefy surge protector power strip but will reapply the latest firmware just to be safe. Thanks for the link and have a wonderful day.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7