× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 rebooting itself

SwiftCookie
Tutor

XR500 rebooting itself

Hey!
So I'm on my second XR500 now because my first one randomly started rebooting itself after a year of use. I've had my new replacement for a week now and I've already seen it reboot a few times.
I've tried different power points, power cables and surge protectors. Everything else using said power points works fine so it can't be a home electrical issue.
Is this poor QC or a software issue?
Starting to get sick of these issues I'm experiencing with Netgears hardware.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 rebooting itself

Does it work when plugged directly into a wall outlet?
Message 2 of 17
SwiftCookie
Tutor

Yeah I tried in a surge protector, wall socket, different power cable but it's the same issue my last one had. There seems to be a fair few people having the same issue as me. I'm currently testing it plugged into a different power point in another room. It's hard to monitor because I'm not always online to keep an eye on it. It's annoying that the logs are wiped after a reboot, would be nice to have some extra info. Also it's definitely not due to overheating either. Do Netgear routers not function well with Aussie power compared to what you run in the UK?
Are there any like schedule settings that would cause it to reboot automatically?
I wish you guys chose someone better than Netgear to partner with haha :')
Message 3 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm actually using an originally US XR500 with an adapter into an extension lead so I don't think that's the issue. There are no scheduled settings for reboots. Try using TFTP to reinstall the firmware prior to booting and see if that helps: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

Message 4 of 17
SwiftCookie
Tutor

Okay I'll try it tomorrow, need to get some sleep now. I'll also monitor if a power point in another room makes any difference.
Don't suppose 3.0 has any bug fixes for anything along the lines of power management etc?
Message 5 of 17
SwiftCookie
Tutor

Okay so a different power point in another room hasn't fixed my issues, it's rebooted about 5 times in the last couple hours for no apparent reason. I've just tried that TFPT solution and CMD said that the transfer was successful but when I logged into the router GUI all my settings were still the same as I left them, isn't it supposed to wipe them when it's reinstalled the firmware? If it hasn't actually worked I'll have to try again later tonight after work 😕 But yeah things aren't looking good 😞

Message 6 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Not that I'm aware of but it should be more stable in general, could be conflicting settings or a memory issue causing it. Reinstalling the firmware wouldn't wipe any settings, just a factory reset does that so if it said successful then it would have reinstalled. Do let us know if that has made a difference.
Message 7 of 17
SwiftCookie
Tutor

Do you know of any free software that can monitor it?
Message 8 of 17
SwiftCookie
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser Dude I'm this close to yeeting the router out the window, none of the troubleshooting tips have helped me so far 😞 Nothing in my house has change, no other electronic devices are malfunctioning due to power issues. Have there been like any stealth updates to the firmware in preparation for 3.0??

Message 9 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No stealth updates have been made. Could you see if it reboots in AP mode? If it doesn't then at least it can still be used - albeit without the features until 3.0 can be tried. Otherwise I'd try and get another replacement if possible.
Message 10 of 17
SwiftCookie
Tutor

Legit an expensive paper weight atm 😞
Message 11 of 17
SwiftCookie
Tutor

Hey @Netduma-Fraser!

So ended up starting a support ticket for another RMA and I've recieved no contact from Netgear for nearly a week after opening the ticket.

Case #43031786

Message 12 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'll see if we're able to help escalate this issue from our side.
Message 13 of 17
SwiftCookie
Tutor

Still no contact from them dude. Too bad if I was a business losing customers and couldn't do things online because they're product is faulty and they have terrible customer service. I wanted to start streaming on Twitch but I can't trust the router to not reboot throughout a stream.
Message 14 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Perhaps @ChristineT @DarrenM or @Christian_R can move this ticket further along?
Message 15 of 17
SwiftCookie
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser 

It'll be 2 weeks tomorrow since I lodged my support ticket and not one person has contacted me yet, so over this dude 😞 

Message 16 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

PM the people I mentioned above, they may be more active there.
Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7