× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 router blocking VOD ( VIdeo on Demand) Playback from paid streaming services

tvlarry
Aspirant

XR500 router blocking VOD ( VIdeo on Demand) Playback from paid streaming services

When accessing a url based .mp4 Movie, from a paid subscription service, after hitting Play the video will not initiate any playback, and the time on the playback bar is stuck on 1 sec.

Proper diagnosis of the issue has pointed to the XR500 router. The streaming video Android box was moved to a neighbors house, connected to their router, and played all the streaming VOD content videos. Next, I brought the Android box back to my house, bypassed the XR500 this time and plugged the streaming box directly into the ISP Modem. ALL VOD movies played video proving the router was causing the issue. Reconnected the XR500, reconnected the Android streaming box to the router, and again, no VOD playback from any subscribed url.  Android box manufactured by BuzzTV, running current up to date firmware. I contacted the manufacturer and the VOD subscription service, both companies said the issue is in the router.

Message 1 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 router blocking VOD ( VIdeo on Demand) Playback from paid streaming services

First thing to do would be to disable QoS entirely from the Congestion Control menu and see if it works then, if not in WAN Settings set NAT to Open
Message 2 of 17
plemans
Guru

Re: XR500 router blocking VOD ( VIdeo on Demand) Playback from paid streaming services

What ISP modem are you connecting it to? 

Message 3 of 17
tvlarry
Aspirant

ISP is HTC / Horry Telephone Company. Their Modem is a Fiber 1gb unit with no information on it.

Message 4 of 17
tvlarry
Aspirant

Congestion Control is turned OFF. How do you perform a total Disable of the QoS ?

NAT setting off was already tried, thanks

Message 5 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can disable QoS fully by clicking the ≡ icon on the Congestion Control panel top left. By off what do you mean, it's set to secured or Open? Toggle IGMP Proxying as well and see if that makes a difference
Message 6 of 17
tvlarry
Aspirant

Congrats Netduma-Fraser !

Disabled QoS solved the issue, thank you, spend hours on this issue thinking it was the Android Hardware or Firmware.

Is there a workaround to use QoS and adjusting for this issue ?

Message 7 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear that, so re-enable QoS, then disable Traffic Prioritization by toggling any rules there including DumaOS Classified Games - does it still occur?
Message 8 of 17
tvlarry
Aspirant

Nothing is enabled under Traffic Prioritization

Message 9 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

DumaOS Classified Games is toggled on by default so you may have disabled that previously. Set Congestion Control to Never and re-test, have you done any Traffic Controller rules by any chance?
Message 10 of 17
tvlarry
Aspirant

No Traffic Controller rules set.

Congestion Control was always set to Never.

"DumaOS Classified Games is toggled on by default" I am not sure how to turn this OFF. Below is the directions on the router.

By default, DumaOS prioritizes DumaOS Classified Games, which is a preset list of games and covers all console games and most PC games. You can manually add your own service or port/port range by clicking ADD DEVICE and then choosing the service or port/port range you would like to add.

Message 11 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Click the toggle button on the DumaOS Classified Games line, when it's on the button appears red, when off it appears white and black
Message 12 of 17
tvlarry
Aspirant

Yes, it was in OFF position

Message 13 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay thanks for trying, looks like it's something we would have to fix so for the moment you'll have to disable QoS fully when you want to use VOD on the box. I'll pass this onto the team.
Message 14 of 17
tvlarry
Aspirant

Thank you for the help.

I did some more investigating and tried other hardware. I used an older Dreamlink T3 streaming box and the VOD feature works using this router with QoS Enabled. The new hardware BuzzTV XRS4900 I am using the exact same server and it will not play any VOD as stated in my first post. This new box has been updated with the latest firmware and the manufacturer indicated they have no complaints coming in regarding my issue.

All these boxes use a built in media player, and for some reason this model router has a conflict with the Buzz 4900 unit. The Buzz4900 unit will work on a neighbors router provided by the ISP as I stated before. I can play YouTube Videos but these are not http mp4 format.

Message 15 of 17
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Yeah it's going to be the QoS on the XR that's causing it then, I'll pass this on to the team and we'll see if we can get this fixed.

Message 16 of 17
plemans
Guru

Its not really a secure method (even slightly) but you could try putting the VOD devices IP address into the XR500's DMZ. (until they find a fix for the qos issue)

It'll forward all the traffic to it.

https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7