× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 router rebooting every 5-10 minutes when USB drive plugged-in

XR500 router rebooting every 5-10 minutes when USB drive plugged-in

Recently I made this post in this forum about a brand-new XR500 rebooting every 5-10 minutes. This occurred with a first XR500 router that I returned and replaced, and then again with the replacement router which I'm still using today. After doing a factory reset, everything appeared to be functioning normally.

Yesterday when I went to listen to some of my music I noticed that I had not plugged my external USB drive back into the router after doing the factory reset. I plugged my USB drive (Toshiba Canvio 500GB; model HDTC605XK3A1) into the router and lo-and-behold the rebooting issue returned. This occurred in either USB slot.

Anyone seen or experience something similar? Keep in mind this issue has happened on two units, not just one, though I thought the first unit was faulty for different reasons at the time.

Firmware version: V2.3.2.32

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 router rebooting every 5-10 minutes when USB drive plugged-in

That's very interesting. Is the router utilising the USB device for any purpose when you notice this happening or can it be idle and happen?
Message 2 of 7

The USB LED light is on, and the SSD light on the enclosure is lit-up blue.

Message 3 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Interesting okay, as its to do with hardware I'd recommend you contact the Netgear support line and they'll be better able to help you with that issue.
Message 4 of 7
Havix00
Aspirant

This same thing happens to me when I plug my external SSD into the XR500 router.  After I access its network folder, the router reboots.  I think it has something to do with the power fluctuation, or the router CPU overload.  I'm not sure how to fix this as I also have a power adapter connected to the external's enclosure.  Just my thoughts.

Please update if you've found a solution.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 5 of 7
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Ok, thanks for letting us know. I'm not sure if this is addressed in the next firmware, which should be released soon, as it's on the NETGEAR settings side. But I'd recommend waiting for this firmware and trying again. If the issue is still there, post on the forum and we can elevate it to the devs at NETGEAR for you Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7

No update from me either, same issue persists. Will attempt with the next firmware update.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7