× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 router wont work with CM1200 modem

anthonyo57
Tutor

XR500 router wont work with CM1200 modem

I have bought both of these products but for some reason they dont seem to work together? The XR500 router worked great with my ISP modem, there was no issues there. However, once I installed my CM1200 modem, while the modem does work perfectly fine, I get internet to my desktop, the XR500 router doesn't get internet from the CM1200 modem, and has the flashing red internet light. I have tried factory resetting my router but that didn't seem to help. I did reconnect my old ISP modem after a couple hours of trying what I found online and the router immediately reconnected to my ISP Modem and got internet just fine. Any ideas?

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Does the old modem give you WiFi? Are you able to access the interface and see if there are any settings you may need to pass over to the new modem? If they're both pure modems then that isn't applicable. Try giving the XR the MAC address of your old modem and then see if it connects with the new one.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What was your old modem model and who is your ISP?
Message 2 of 8
anthonyo57
Tutor

My old modem was the one given to me by my ISP which is Comcast (Xfinity)

Message 3 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Does the old modem give you WiFi? Are you able to access the interface and see if there are any settings you may need to pass over to the new modem? If they're both pure modems then that isn't applicable. Try giving the XR the MAC address of your old modem and then see if it connects with the new one.
Message 4 of 8
anthonyo57
Tutor

The other one does act as a router also, I apologize for not mentioning that. I am not home currently but I will in about an hour, I will try passing on the MAC of the old modem to the router. for the XR500, would that be under the advanced settings?

Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No worries! To apply a MAC address to the XR go to the Settings page and it's on the first page - Internet Setup. Keep us posted!
Message 6 of 8
anthonyo57
Tutor

So uh, I have no idea why this was the solution. But I changed it to Xfinity's CM MAC (there were two marked underneath the modem) and it works like a charm. Thank you so much for your help! 

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Brilliant to hear that! Sometimes ISPs are adverse to new routers being connected so this is a workaround that can sometimes help. You're very welcome!
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7