× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500's Wireless Card Access List will not save. Empties on every reboot.

XR500's Wireless Card Access List will not save. Empties on every reboot.

Wireless Card Access List will not save. Empties on every reboot. Tried hard reset and reinstall firmware. Also geo filter sometimes won't show any connections, rebooting will usually fix the geo filter but again it wipes the Access List and disables it.

I've rebooted numerous times. Performed hard resets. Re-flashed older firmware from USB and still it dumps the access list every single reboot. Back on the new firmware now and the same. Running XR500 on latest firmware and previous on win 7 with chrome and IE browsers.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi StrangerPings (great name by the way!), can you be more specific on what you mean by the Wireless Card Access List please? There is no feature like that on the interface that I am aware of.

In terms of the Geo-Filter I have a hot fix firmware I can send you that should resolve the issue.
Message 2 of 14

settings, advanced settings, advanced wireless, at the bottom left is the Wireless Card Access List to the right you click Setup Access List to enable devices. Basically the MAC address filtering section. It allows me to enter everything and enable it. I can log out and then relogin and it is still there enabled and shows all the MAC's and devices. On reboot it dumps everything.

Message 3 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great thanks for the clarification. I have also managed to reproduce this. I will let the Development team know immediately. Sorry for the inconvinience.

Please check your PM I have sent you the hot fix for the Geo-Filter.
Message 4 of 14

Just to add some more info for you. I was on the phone with Netgear before you replied. At first they were unable to duplicate it. They were adding devices to the MAC filter that were already connected to their network. On reboot they lost no info. Once I explained I was manually adding them he tried it and duplicated it dumping everything on reboot. So now that both Netgear and NetDuma have it duplicated I look forward to fix soon. It's hard enough trying to keep networks secure now without worrying about the MAC filter cutting out. Thanks for the rapid response and the Geo fix.

Message 5 of 14

No sooner than 10 seconds after my last post the Netgear tech called me back to verify my serial number and he also said that their try where it stayed he forgot to click turn access control on. He played with it some more and it only held the MAC address on reboot when he did not turn access control on. When he turned it on and rebooted it dumped. Hope that helps even more. Thanks again.

Message 6 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great thanks a lot for the update & extra information. Glad there is a workaround for now. We will co-ordinate with Netgear regarding this issue.
Message 7 of 14
WhatIsBrokenNow
Aspirant

I have the exact same problem, except in addition to dumping the list of mac addresses the XR500 also blocks internet access on any device not connected at the time of the reboot and the only way I seem to be able to fix that is to factory reset the router.

I bought a WNDR4300v2 to use while working through these XR500 issues with Netgear Support and it actually does the same thing! It dumps its mac address list and turns off mac filtering on reboot. However it also has another access control feature that the XR500 does not (available through advanced->security->access control) which gets turned on at the same time when you reboot. This prevents devices not connected at the time of the reboot (wired and wireless) from accessing the internet but not connecting the the network - which is very similar to what is happening with my XR500. Except with the WNDR4300v2 I can just turn that feature off and do not need to factory reset the router after every reboot.

Message 8 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi WhatIsBrokenNow, were you able to get an answer on why it is happening and a potential solution from Netgear Support? If not have they considered this a bug that needs to be fixed?
Message 9 of 14
WhatIsBrokenNow
Aspirant

Support has not yet been able to tell me what is going on. They've had me reset the router and do a few other things, but it has not made a difference. The next step they want me to do is downgrade the firmware from the latest to something else. However, based on what StrangerPings said it seems downgrading won't help. It doesn't seem like Netgear Support has considered this is a bug yet.

Message 10 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

OK - we have raised this with the NETGEAR developers as well so they are aware.
Message 11 of 14

Got this via email the other day. Why is Netgear asking me to do their job to fix this? This was easily duplicated by Netduma and Netgear, yet they suddenly can't check for themselves? I was told by Netgear that this was a high priority since it's "our flag ship router" and it clearly limits the security protection of a persons network. Granted most people won't notice it till they actually check since it dumps the filter on reboot and allows any device to connect with the password. If it's such a high priority why am I getting asked to do stuff? Shouldn't the engineers be using their own router and fixing the issue instead of waiting on a response from a customer?

Add an update to your support case #29754927

Last Update from NETGEAR
Notes added by 8325
Hi XXXXXXXXX, 

Hope you are doing well today.

Can you please try the Netduma device manager ACL feature? Engineers want to check if issue is also seen there. 

I am looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Blanca
Expert ID: 8325
NETGEAR L2 Support Expert
Message 12 of 14
Killhippie
Prodigy

While it needs to be fixed mac filtering is not good security, its easy with to spoof a mac address, but then the intruder would still need your password, and that's where good security comes in. Also mac filtering can hinder some devices connecting properly and is far more labour intensive than it needs to be for adding new devices. I stopped using it years ago, its a false sense or security because standard tools like Netstumbler will display MAC addresses and its quite trivial to then bypass mac filtering completely. Its the same as hiding your SSID, it makes it harder for some devices to connect and someone can still see your SSID if they want anyway. A very strong password of over 20 ASCII or a long HEX password is far more of a deterrent.

Message 13 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Stranger, as far as I can tell they want to tell if you're still able to block devices from Internet access to ensure you have that functionality.

Agreed though, it is easily reproducible and for all intents and purposes Device Manager & Wireless Access List are different features.

The Netgear development team are aware so I don't know if there is anything else to do on your end or from Netgear Support. Perhaps just drop them a message back saying Netduma informed the Netgear Development team of the issue and they're looking into it.
Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7