× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 still reboots every day

Soloflyerz
Guide

XR500 still reboots every day

So I’ve been having this issue on and off since a couple weeks after I purchased this router from Best Buy.  I’d assumed that firmware updates would eventually fix the issue and actually thought it had a couple times, but no dice.  It seems pretty much totally random, here with myself and three kids someone is always online and normally one or more of us are gaming.  This is why I upgraded from the R1 to the XR500 cause I wanted the features that just kep5 being pushed back for the R1.  Always loved my R1 and I really like this when it works, but I’m tired of being kicked at random times both wireless and wired goes out and the router reboots daily again now.  I’m past my return period so I’m really hoping I’m not stuck going back to the R1 after spending another 300 bucks so I have a consistent connection.    

Cincinnati bell fioptics wired directly to the XR500 with 100 down 20 up normally.  Please if anybody has any insight or what’s fixed the others I’ve seen with the issue let me know.   Should I just start a support ticket or?  I’ve tried most all of what been discussed here and over on netduma forums already.   Thanks

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 51
BIG_DOG
Luminary

Hi.

Sorry to hear that you are having difficulties. Can you do a factory reset of the XR500 and when you are up and running again set QOS to "always" and monitor your connection to see if it drops again and let us know?

Message 2 of 51
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Could you try Big Dog's great suggestion please. That should hopefully solve your problem

Message 3 of 51
Soloflyerz
Guide

I’ve done a factory reset previously, but not sure if it’s been on this newer firmware so I’ll try it again.  Manual from the back, through software or does it even matter? 

Message 4 of 51
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Message 5 of 51
Soloflyerz
Guide

Thanks Jack pretty sure we’ve spoke on Duma forums as well. So far so good although it’s done this to me working for a few days to a week then starts rebooting again a few times so I’m crossing my fingers.  I’ll post back either way later in the week, thanks again

Message 6 of 51
Soloflyerz
Guide

Thanks to you as well, so far so good

Message 7 of 51
Soloflyerz
Guide

Fellas we’re back at it again, with a few devices online gaming this time for sure.  Same as before just suddenly kicked everybody and rebooted.  Is this covered since it’s a pretty big deal breaker at no fault of my own? 

Message 8 of 51
Soloflyerz
Guide

It’s even worse now, just happened a second time in half an hour.  This is pretty much a joke after paying out for a 300 dollar gaming router.  I’d had a bad go with a n older nighthawks hardware before and probably should have passed on this one, but really wanted the netduma update.  Now regretting the purchase and the glowing review I may need to update. 

Message 9 of 51
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It doesn't appear as if I've sent you the firmware yet so please check your PM and try it to see if it fixes your issue. Looks like it's related to an Xbox issue so we're in contact with their team to try and resolve this.
Message 10 of 51
Soloflyerz
Guide

Thanks I’ll give it a go, I’m actually on nearly everything except Xbox though.  iPad Pro, IPhone X, PS4 pro, PS4 launch, couple fire tablets and a sager laptop mostly.  Not all at once most of the time, but these are what are running through the router at different times during the day.  

Message 11 of 51
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I think it could be a general console issue with instant on mode but Xbox are the only ones who've legitamately acknowledged it as a bug. If firmware doesn't help try turning off instant on and see if that resolves it.
Message 12 of 51
Soloflyerz
Guide

Wish I had better news, but just happened again. Any other ideas by chance or what’s my next step if there is one? 

Message 13 of 51
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Disable instant on on the console so it shuts down and boots up fully, does that resolve the issue?
Message 14 of 51
Soloflyerz
Guide

This is totally ridiculous it’s literally getting worse and worse by the day.  I’ve tried it all and it’s actually getting worse every attempt.  It’s cost me so many games and so much time I’d be far better off with any amount of lag.  Can’t believe I spent this kinda money on a router that’s still being beta tested at best.   I’ve tried to be patient for months and think it may have bit me in the arse now. 

I know it’s not your fault so sorry I’m pissed, but this is the worst experience I’ve had with a product in quite some time. You guys have been great on Duma forums, but I’m extremely dissatisfied with both my nighthawk “gaming” routers.  Ones WiFi doesn’t work at all and the other can’t stay turned on more than a couple hours.  500 bucks down the toilet to netgear at this point and I’m forced back to the R1 now I guess.  Thought this was finished product and being marketed as a gaming router it can’t even stay on long enough to finish a round. Seems like netduma was in a much better place overall before this partnership on an old micro tik.  Guess now I should fill out a support ticket to be made to do all this over again? What are they doing with others who’ve had hardware issues any idea? 

Message 15 of 51
Soloflyerz
Guide

And yes I tried turning off instant on and every other power saving thing in my home. 

@Soloflyerz wrote:

This is totally ridiculous it’s literally getting worse and worse by the day.  I’ve tried it all and it’s actually getting worse every attempt.  It’s cost me so many games and so much time I’d be far better off with any amount of lag.  Can’t believe I spent this kinda money on a router that’s still being beta tested at best.   I’ve tried to be patient for months and think it may have bit me in the arse now. 

I know it’s not your fault so sorry I’m pissed, but this is the worst experience I’ve had with a product in quite some time. You guys have been great on Duma forums, but I’m extremely dissatisfied with both my nighthawk “gaming” routers.  Ones WiFi doesn’t work at all and the other can’t stay turned on more than a couple hours.  500 bucks down the toilet to netgear at this point and I’m forced back to the R1 now I guess.  Thought this was finished product and being marketed as a gaming router it can’t even stay on long enough to finish a round. Seems like netduma was in a much better place overall before this partnership on an old micro tik.  Guess now I should fill out a support ticket to be made to do all this over again? What are they doing with others who’ve had hardware issues any idea? 

Message 16 of 51
Soloflyerz
Guide

My god for a net tech company this sites a joke, there’s literally no way to access support unless you want to pay for premium support.  Please let me know how to start a support ticket as my support apparently ends on the 24th.  Contact goes to register which I’ve done, my product goes to where it should be then to a blank screen with nothing.  This is sad for a company this size to have a website that’s useless.  Do I need to google a phone number send them a letter or can I actually contact the internet tech company on the inter web thingy? 

Message 17 of 51
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi Solo - sorry to hear you're having all these problems.

You should be able to contact support here: https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

If you enter in your router's serial number it should recognise you as a recent customer.

Let me know if you have no luck by through that link emailing us at netduma@netduma.com and we can elevate this with NETGEAR.

Message 18 of 51
Soloflyerz
Guide

Thanks sorry getting so frustrated, this things just driving me nuts and cost me another W last night when it crapped out again. 

Message 19 of 51
Soloflyerz
Guide

Showed up finally after allowing cross site tracking and about to call, hopefully support has some kinda sense so I’m not forced to redo all we’ve tried again. 

Message 20 of 51
Soloflyerz
Guide

Wow well my support is up tomorrow so I sat on the phone 45 minutes to be told that only the higher tier support guys can help with the xr500 then was asked a question and promptly cut off and put back on hold.  Sat for another half hour and was hung up on.  Netgear obviously doesn’t care even a little about their customers, this is mind blowing. It’s actually not reset in two days, but I’d rather not be totally screwed after tomorrow when it does.  

Message 21 of 51
Soloflyerz
Guide

Any chance you know a number for these supposed high tier support guys? 

Message 22 of 51
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Don't know a number unfortunately but we're pushing really hard for this issue to be debugged so I expect to have something for people to try within the next few days fingers crossed
Message 23 of 51
Soloflyerz
Guide

Thanks I’m waiting on them to call me back now from the site here, since it’s a known bug will I be able to get support after today?  Or am I pretty much at their mercy if I don’t get it sorted today?  Normally I’d think I’d be ok, but with how the rest of this is going I’m not too confident. 

Message 24 of 51
Soloflyerz
Guide

Sad as it is after buying a 300 dollar router, I’m ok with waiting on a fix since I have options.  I just don’t want to be stuck with another netgear router that works partially so I can’t even sell it without making someone else go through this mess. 

Message 25 of 51
Discussion stats
  • 50 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7