× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 still slow laggy and now discovered service is dropping on the router

A-A-Ron
Tutor

XR500 still slow laggy and now discovered service is dropping on the router

Hello,

This is the second time did I have written in about this service issue. the first time I wrote in it was for the speeds being slow randomly slowing down hi this time I'm noticing service drops and I'm doing a little bit more investigating on my side the original issue was never resolved I don't remember exactly how it ended but it wasn't resolved. I was able to locate  my old email  regarding the same issue  it was back in October of 2021 with no resolution found and conclusion was I was going to download the new Duma OS 3.0 firmware update which did not resolve any issues.
before hardline connect to modemafter router reconnected. I have now isolated the issue to the XR500 router and not anything to do with signal cables or the modem which is a CM1000 I bypassed the router hard line computer straight into the modem performed a consistent ping test for over an hour with not one signal drop at all. Change Ethernet cables from the cable going from the modem to the router with a brand new cable made the connections back reset everything and still getting the same signal drop. Running a consistent ping test it's dropping about every two to five minutes for one reply or request it will Time out. I can't seem to find a consistent pattern or a time exactly, it is random but it is consistently random. it's causing massive issues being that I work from home I'm on a lot of video calls all day and when this happens it freezes and locks my video calls most of the time disconnecting my call and I'll have to call back in reconnect all that fun stuff that is never fun during company calls. I'd like to know what we can do to get this fixed. I'm not sure what kind of warranty came with this. I went to the main web page it said that my registered products do not have any warranty although I just bought them in June so I guess they don't even have a one year warranty I guess. I'm anyways a little frustrated but also very open minded to know see what you guys can do help me out with this issue but I need to get this resolved this time please I have screenshots of the consistent ping test with the signal drops I have all that if needed hum I have everything here in front of me whenever somebody can get back to me and let me know what we can do to try to get this result I appreciate your time let me know thank you

Aaron Lough

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you using WiFi or ethernet when you encounter these issues/test? What QoS settings are you using currently? When did the drops start, after changing firmware, settings etc?
Message 2 of 26
A-A-Ron
Tutor

Hey thanks for the quick response on this one wasn't expecting that quick but yeah thank you. yeah so to address your questions Here is happening both on Wi-Fi and a hard line connection I'm I had signal checked from my ISP signal's good when I bypass the router and hard line straight into the CM 1000 modem all issues are resolved no drops monitored for close to two hours with no packet loss snowdrops nothing absolutely perfect put back into the router reset everything and right back to the same behavior I'm dropping on both Wi-Fi. As far as the QoS settings they were pretty standard I wanna say 75 or 80% on the two slide bars for download and upload set to auto  I'm just the basic stuff in the demo software as far as theenable and the bandwidth allocation was ah no ah changed it was all even sorry I did a factory reset on my router last night so my settings aren't the same as they were I had figured at this point it's not gonna hurt anything to try something you know. I believe these drops had started prior to the new software or firmware I think this was the same Issues that you and I talked about back in October but I was unable to dig further into it as I did this time I also wasn't making as many zoom calls.   I don't believe back then I was seeing as dramatic as a service drop as I am now while I'm on the zoom calls for work.  as far as settings I haven't really messed with much i'm just the basic stuff in the duma software as far The geofencing feature but pretty general too I think like 1000 miles or 500 miles or something like that is what I had said that on but I didn't really know much about anything else so I didn't change anything of course I'm just how it was set up when uh when the original install happened but I mean I hope this is it because I've been having so many just issues as far as how to reset the router to get signal back and I think this is it I'm confident that this is probably what was going on I hope so 'cause I've I've never had a a modem that I think I've had to reset more than this but like I said I'm I'm hoping we can get an issue resolved with this time I think maybe knowing more about it this time it will be helpful but I'll be around all day I don't know what your day is like but I'll be hang out I appreciate you getting back to me let me know what I can do .

Thanks Aaron

Message 3 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You're welcome! First thing I would suggest is disable QoS completely from the Congestion Control menu, QoS can drop packets if it deems it necessary so try that and see if you still get the drops.
Message 4 of 26
A-A-Ron
Tutor

OK so I just did that I'm assuming just go to the QoS feature section and select never on the checkbox as opposed to the auto or always assume that that's what you meant correct?

Message 5 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No click the 3 horizontal line icon top left of the panel and disable it from there completely
Message 6 of 26
A-A-Ron
Tutor

Well I was just getting ready to send you a message saying well heck I think this might have done it 'cause I haven't seen any timeouts for awhile but I got busy doing some stuff and I came back to check and sure enough I am seeing the timeouts happening on the ping test that I started after I switched the QoS service to off but they are still continuing so I'm let me know I'm gonna get out just keep I'll keep everything running on my computer and just I'll keep checking this the email for any type of response from you I appreciate it 

Message 7 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay so in WAN Settings set the NAT to Open instead of secured, this will relax the firewall a little bit, so if the firewall was dropping/blocking this should resolve it
Message 8 of 26
A-A-Ron
Tutor

Oh yes I was thinking about the burger or whatever they call it that three line horizontal menu thing thank you for reminding me that I'm alright you just disabled now oh you know since last message I sent you it dropped a few times but it kinda chilled out and it hasn't dropped and I'd say probably over an hour now it hasn't dropped so it's like I said it's it's so random like some days I notice it's 5 to 10 minutes apart some days I notice it's not really that much at all if at all and then there's days like this where it's like so sporadic it'll be doing it for consistently for an hour at every five to 10 minutes and then turn around and decide to act differently and not drop for five hours you know after that so it's it's so random and I can't even begin to understand how it's happening  is there any type is there any type of history logs that you can pull from it or I can get to you? Oh wait I did that factory reset ah yeah that's not gonna help with that crap I didn't even think about that till just now I'm well even if you need to pull logs from whatever let me know I I think I saw something about that menu but I don't really know how to do it

Message 9 of 26
A-A-Ron
Tutor

OK got it uh NAT  settings are now open does it go to secured after a factory reset 'cause I'm pretty sure it was an open before 'cause I think I I knew that I just didn't think about it don't forget all the settings I did since the first time I got it but I didn't do much to it after I did the factory reset last night I just set the Wi-Fi password and all that stuff and let it be figured talk to you guys before I made any settings but yeah that's not switched over appreciate it I will keep an eye on it we're just gonna keep this thread open I have no problem with that I canI can just keep this thread open on my computer and inform you down the road if not tomorrow or something like that on what's going on I don't wanna obviously keep you all day but I appreciate the help man totally 

Message 10 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes it would revert back to secured after a factory reset. That's absolutely fine, I'll be around for another 4 hours or so if needed, otherwise my colleague will be able to help during the day tomorrow (GMT) if needed!
Message 11 of 26
A-A-Ron
Tutor

I do have a question though regarding the connection benchmark settings now or I should say options uhm I know that's new to the newer software or firmware I get consistently terrible like download grades on that like A or D every single time. When I run a speed test from ookla or my ISP or any other speedtest engines I'm there consistently over the the 900 numbers and even the Netgear the nighthawk app on its speedtest section it shows over the 900 as well so everything else is showing high speeds and then this one connection benchmark thing is consistently showing my speeds very low like at the 203 hundred some 400 sometimes I'm is that not as accurate or there is that seeing something that the other engines are not seeing you see what I'm saying?

Message 12 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No need to worry about that, we're still improving the results on Benchmark so if others are giving you the expected speeds then they will be correct and that's what you'll be getting
Message 13 of 26
A-A-Ron
Tutor

Alright sounds good so there's been no drops since you and I last spoken change that on any T settings so I have a pretty good feeling that you helped me out on this one I'm gonna keep everything running probably tonight through the night into tomorrow and just kind of monitor it I'll keep this thread open till then and hopefully we can close it out tomorrow with a with a good resolution I appreciate your help though

Message 14 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Brilliant to hear that, do keep us posted, love the username by the way great reference!
Message 15 of 26
A-A-Ron
Tutor

Haha! Yes. the A-A-Ron...funnmy thing is my uncle used to call me this as a kid way before the Key & Peel skit ever was shown so it was quite funny when we saw the skit. 

Okay so last we spoke it was not dropping. I watched it the remainder of ther day and seemed to be much better. I was going to resond yesterday to give you the greenlight to close this ticket as resolved. 

although today it started upo again. i had a deropped zoom call at work, and quickly reconnected the call. i pulled up CMD prompt and st6arted pinging again and it was stable throughout the rest of the call. stayed consitand for a while so i kind of let it go. Noticed it a few times tonight when i was on skype with my girlfriend the screen was freezing  and started pinging and saw it dropping again like before. Sparatic and seldome. Agian just single requests timing out but enough to toi notice especially during calls. its hard to recognize during othert parts of the day unless i notice something taking a longer that usual to do something but by then i will miss the ping evidence.

Sorry for the bad news but hopefully you have some more trick up your sleeve we can try.

Aaron

Message 16 of 26
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

How long roughly did the drop last, a few seconds roughly?

Could you please go to the LAN settings and change the DHCP pool minimum to be 192.168.1.50.

Then, reserve IP addresses for devices that suffer the disconnections. Give them an IP address in the range of 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.49.

Let us know if you're still having issues after this.

Message 17 of 26
A-A-Ron
Tutor

Good mornbing sir.

yes i just finished up with a things. i'm heading to the software to do that now. Dumb question because I think I already know the answer is yes but are you able to pull my stuff up on my on your side like well I don't think I ever gave you my Mac address and stuff but were you able to look at my customer information on my registered devices and like pull yourself which is fine I don't mind I I actually I appreciate that if you did 'cause I was just curious 'cause you're telling me exactly what to go to and like he's gotta have visibility on that. And then do I need to or would it hurt for me to reset it after I change these settings I was actually just coming out to reset it 'cause it was sputtering around UM things were freezing so that's what I was coming out here to do anyways

Message 18 of 26
A-A-Ron
Tutor

Hi I'm gonna double check with you 'cause I'm not real super smart with this stuff I know a little bit just enough to be dangerous so when you say DHCP pool minimum are you talking about the starting or ending IP addresses that are under the DHCP server? And then when you say the IP addresses for devices that suffer the disconnections give them an IP address I haven't seen it disconnected in a while this morning either it's just kind of been hit or miss it's kind of weird today I haven't been able to find any disconnections for sure since I sent you that email UM if I if I'm seeing them I'm not getting to my ping quick enough to actually capture him does that make sense like I'm maybe delayed'cause I'm not like on a video call or something like that so I don't know I don't see it right away

Message 19 of 26
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Fraser nor I can pull up any of your information I'm afraid, we're part of the Netduma Team and don't actually work for NETGEAR.

Change the starting IP address of the DHCP server so it can only give out IP addresses from 192.168.1.50 upwards.

After that, think of all the devices you can that you've noticed having issues. For example, your work computer where you had issues with a zoom call. Reserve IP addresses for each of these devices. Make sure the last number in the IP address is between .2 and .49.

Message 20 of 26
A-A-Ron
Tutor

OK So what I'm changing is the starting IP address is under they use router as DHCP server setting under the land setup it was at a .2 and you want me to change it to .50 I wish I just did and then but I don't know how I'm sorry man and you I apologize I don't know how to assign IP addresses to specific devices I'm I've never done that before yeah I'm not smart like that LOL

Message 21 of 26
A-A-Ron
Tutor

OK thanks man appreciate it so I have starting IP address filled out to the one that ends in 50 and the only computer that I'm noticing is on my work computer so how would I make sure that that one has the IP addresses ending from dot 2. -  .49?

Message 22 of 26
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

You can assign IP addresses to specific devices in the Address Reservation section. Perhaps this guide will help, the instructions that apply to you are from step 4 onwards.

https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 23 of 26
A-A-Ron
Tutor

Oh my God Oh my God yeah duh it's a IP config  so I pulled it up and my IP address is ending in .2

Message 24 of 26
A-A-Ron
Tutor

Oh yes thank you for that super helpful doc uhm it's set it .2 should I change it just to try it out change it to just something like you said in the middle?

Message 25 of 26
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7