× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 vs. XR450, which do I purchase?

Joshh
Tutor

XR500 vs. XR450, which do I purchase?

Looking for a new router for my new home, the R7000 I had from 2015 was just not doing the job (range issues, random drops, etc.). I am currently looking at the XR500 and XR450.

I have done some research on the XR500, but I cannot find much on the XR450. It seems whenever I search for a review on it, it only comes up with the XR500 reviews. I am aware that the XR500 has a better 2.4Ghz radio, but I need some advice to decide which one to choose.

Currently living in a home that does not use much drywall, but rather plaster. Will that affect the signal?

Are they practically the same, besides the 2.4Ghz radio? Does the radio make a noticeable difference? Will my walls affect the quality of the signal, compared to my previous R7000 situation? Which is the better choice so I can assure a good signal in all areas of my home?

I know I have a lot of questions about choosing between the two, but I just want to assure that I choose the right one. Thanks.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Joshh
Tutor

Re: XR500 vs. XR450, which do I purchase?

Turns out the update I had for the R7000 had issues, it could be solved by downgrading.

I did still get the XR450 though, as I figured this out after. The router was getting old anyways.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Plaster lathe does a great job of blocking wifi signals. You'll more than likely have issues regardless of what router you choose.  Even a mesh setup might struggle a bit with its wireless backhaul. Any chance you have coax (for a moca adapter) or ethernet ran through your house? If so you can use that for a wired backhaul and end up with much better coverage. 

Here's a thead that asked that same question that goes over the fact that it does come down to basically the 2.4ghz radio speed and that the xr450 is mainly sold at costco.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/What-is-the-difference-between-the-XR4...

Message 2 of 11
Joshh
Tutor

I ran a speed test in the furthest room from the router, which ran around 10/5 down/up- through many walls of plaster. The room is only used for streaming Spectrum TV, and occasionally using a mobile device. So, the plaster is not too much of an issue. Shouldn't the signal be better since the XR series has newer hardware, compared to the R7000 I currently have- even it I still face the plaster issue?

Though, I do have coax running throughout the house, so I would be able to use MoCA. Unfortunately there is none running in the room that I tested. However, I would be required to get a modem that supports MoCA. I believe and that may be difficult because I am unsure of any Spectrum approved modems that support it.

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

What speeds do you pay for? 10/5 isn't enough to stream 4k and might be enough for 1080p streaming. I say might because some services will lower your 1080 quality to fit your bandwidth and others don't. 

When you say the xr devices have better radios, they do. But the wifi broadcast power is still set by the fcc. They can only broadcast with so much power.  the newer AX devices have a little more range but that again is just a little more . So you probably won't see much improvement in distance if you're coming from the R7000. 

what i'd do is setup a speedtest by distance/walls and plot it out (or just look at it). See how much impact the distance and walls are having on your speeds. Maybe an extender might be a better upgrade than getting a new router or switching to mesh. the only way to know is to do some testing. 

Message 4 of 11
Joshh
Tutor

I am paying for 200/10 down/up speed. In my room, I get around 150/10 which is a perfect amount for me. The room a floor above the room with 10/5 gets around 60/10, but it is not always that- sometimes it can be a lot less.

From what I've seen, the streaming in the 10/5 room rarely buffers- if it does at all. So, it must be streaming in 1080p. It is a 4k television, but I do not think the Spectrum TV app even supports 4K, so it is not an issue regarding the quality of the stream.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

The only difference between the 450 and 500 is the 2.4Ghz radio is all. Everything else is the same in HW and FW code base. 

The 450 was a Costco only limited market model router so i you have a Costo membership and had access around 2017, then you could have bought one there. I don't how long they ran this market for and presume it has ended by now. You would have to ask them. There was a $100 difference between the 450 and 500 back then. 

Are your wired speed tests good? Wired speed testing is preferred first over wireless. 

What FW version are you using on the 500? 

What is the mfr and model# of the ISP modem the XR router is connected too? 

How big is your home? Sq ft? 

I also have 200/10 services and get spot on speeds with my 450. Wired and wireless. 

@Joshh wrote:

Looking for a new router for my new home, the R7000 I had from 2015 was just not doing the job (range issues, random drops, etc.). I am currently looking at the XR500 and XR450.

I have done some research on the XR500, but I cannot find much on the XR450. It seems whenever I search for a review on it, it only comes up with the XR500 reviews. I am aware that the XR500 has a better 2.4Ghz radio, but I need some advice to decide which one to choose.

Currently living in a home that does not use much drywall, but rather plaster. Will that affect the signal?

Are they practically the same, besides the 2.4Ghz radio? Does the radio make a noticeable difference? Will my walls affect the quality of the signal, compared to my previous R7000 situation? Which is the better choice so I can assure a good signal in all areas of my home?

I know I have a lot of questions about choosing between the two, but I just want to assure that I choose the right one. Thanks.

Message 6 of 11
Joshh
Tutor

My wired speed tests are never below 200/10, but I my home is not all wired. I do not own either the 450 or 500 (yet, if I will get it anyways). My home is 2,498 sq. feet, but there is a garage that it needs to reach as well. Currently using a Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band Mesh Extender for that, plan to continue using it even with a new router.

Message 7 of 11
illgeareal
Aspirant

@Joshh wrote:

XR450

Don't waste money for XR500. It is at least $100 higher than XR450.

The 800 Mbps 2.4Ghz band XR500 used is 256-QAM. I believe you don't have any devices supporting it. If there are no devices using 256-QAM, they will go back to 600 Mbps 64-QAM which is the same as XR450.

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

ANy progress on this? 

@Joshh wrote:

My wired speed tests are never below 200/10, but I my home is not all wired. I do not own either the 450 or 500 (yet, if I will get it anyways). My home is 2,498 sq. feet, but there is a garage that it needs to reach as well. Currently using a Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band Mesh Extender for that, plan to continue using it even with a new router.

Message 9 of 11
Joshh
Tutor

Turns out the update I had for the R7000 had issues, it could be solved by downgrading.

I did still get the XR450 though, as I figured this out after. The router was getting old anyways.
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll like the XR450. I like mine. Works well with two EX7700s connected. Something you can do if you need more wifi coverage.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7