× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 wifi No Internet

Johnny_Cao1
Aspirant

XR500 wifi No Internet

One day i was playing somegame but then noticed that i was lagging. So i thought i could fix it by resetting the router. After resetting the router and when i try to connect to it. it keeps saying No internet connection. Im also mentioning that the SSID wont show up on my pc network list but it shows on other devices like: My ipad, My phone and my friends pc. Please help me i've been resetting the router many times but all show the same result.

IM SO STRESSED ITS BEEN 1WEEK AND A HALF!

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 15

Re: XR500 wifi No Internet

Hard to tell what is going wrong with so much missing detail from you.

Start by telling people what the modem is in front of the router.

@Johnny_Cao1 wrote:

Please help me i've been resetting the router many times but all show the same result.

That's going to get you nowhere if you keep getting it wrong.

As this is a router, there is probably a modem sitting in front of it. You need to get the devices to forget any inherited settings. Among other things, that means rebooting the network.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

The XR500 is a Gaming Router. You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so there may be useful responses here, but the XR500 has its own operating system and is not like the average Nighthawk router, you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Pro Gaming Routers - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is your modem model that the XR is connected to? Do other devices get an internet connection through the router or is it just the PC?
Message 3 of 15
Johnny_Cao1
Aspirant

its in router mode and its just my pc that doesnt show up in the network list. Other devices can see the wifi and connect to it while my pc doesnt show any sign of the router.

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
What is your modem model that the XR is connected to? Do other devices get an internet connection through the router or is it just the PC?

Message 4 of 15
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

After resetting the XR, you'll need to go back to the interface at 192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.net and complete the setup wizard, you won't have an internet connection until you've completed this.

Message 5 of 15
Johnny_Cao1
Aspirant

@Netduma-Liam wrote:

After resetting the XR, you'll need to go back to the interface at 192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.net and complete the setup wizard, you won't have an internet connection until you've completed this.

The thing is. I can't find the wifi on the network list. for eg: NETGEAR97
It just wont show any sign of the Xr500 wifi.

Message 6 of 15
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

I'd suggest running through the setup wizard while connected to the XR500 via ethernet, you should then be able to connect to the XR500 via wireless after this.

Message 7 of 15
Johnny_Cao1
Aspirant

@Netduma-Liam wrote:

I'd suggest running through the setup wizard while connected to the XR500 via ethernet, you should then be able to connect to the XR500 via wireless after this.

Do you have to connect the ethernet cable to my pc? Because if you do i dont have a long enough to connect it to my pc.

Message 8 of 15
Johnny_Cao1
Aspirant

Is there a way i can connect my pc to the wifi inside the router login?

Message 9 of 15
Johnny_Cao1
Aspirant

@Netduma-Liam wrote:

I did it on my ipad but its still not showing up on my pc.

Message 10 of 15
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

That's interesting, so if your iPad is able to discover the wireless network then we know the Wi-Fi on the XR500 is working fine, I'd suggest disabling and re-enabling the Wi-Fi adapter on your PC as this often resolves issues like this.

Message 11 of 15

@Johnny_Cao1 wrote:

@Netduma-Liam wrote:

I fear that you may have been led astray by all this talk of resetting and running the setup wizard. If your PC is the cause of the problem, that is where you need to look.

If this is a Windows PC, a first move is to run the Network Troubleshooter in Windows.

Start here:

Fix network connection issues in Windows 10

There are other issues in Windows that you can investigate, but try that first.

Oh, and a wired connection to the router is far superior to wifi, especially if you are gaming. Otherwise you are throwing away some of the benefits that come with your fancy router. Even Powerline Ethernet is likely to better than wifi.

Message 12 of 15
Johnny_Cao1
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Johnny_Cao1 wrote:

@Netduma-Liam wrote:

I fear that you may have been led astray by all this talk of resetting and running the setup wizard. If your PC is the cause of the problem, that is where you need to look.

If this is a Windows PC, a first move is to run the Network Troubleshooter in Windows.

Start here:

Fix network connection issues in Windows 10

There are other issues in Windows that you can investigate, but try that first.

Oh, and a wired connection to the router is far superior to wifi, especially if you are gaming. Otherwise you are throwing away some of the benefits that come with your fancy router. Even Powerline Ethernet is likely to better than wifi.

Troubleshoot still doesn't work. It tells me to chose (Ethernet, wifi, other adapters)

but it tells me to add a website i want to troubleshoot. i dont know what else i can do to get the Netgear wifi on the list of networks.

Message 13 of 15

@Johnny_Cao1 wrote:

Troubleshoot still doesn't work. It tells me to chose (Ethernet, wifi, other adapters)

but it tells me to add a website i want to troubleshoot. i dont know what else i can do to get the Netgear wifi on the list of networks.

This looks like the PC cannot find any way of connecting to the outside world.

What is this PC? What does it have as a wifi "client"? That's the thing that the PC uses to talk to the router. It can be a USB "dongle" or a built-in card or chip.

This is in line with the idea from @Netduma-Fraser 

That's interesting, so if your iPad is able to discover the wireless network then we know the Wi-Fi on the XR500 is working fine, I'd suggest disabling and re-enabling the Wi-Fi adapter on your PC as this often resolves issues like this.

If your PC has Ethernet ports on the back, and it isn't too far from the router, the best way to connect to the Internet is to wire the two together. It should be a heck of a lot faster than wifi. How far is the PC from the router?

As @Netduma-Fraser suggests, it looks like the XR500 is doing just fine. The problem is on the PC.

Here's another clue from your earlier message:

The thing is. I can't find the wifi on the network list. for eg: NETGEAR97 It just wont show any sign of the Xr500 wifi.

If other devices happily find the wifi, to me this suggests that the PC doesn't have a working wifi device.

Look for this:

WindowsNetwork.jpg

• Right click the Internet icon
  • Open Network & Internet Settings
  • Status
  • Change adapter options

You should see something that claims to be a wifi device.

Message 14 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Good advice above, all evidence does point to the PC itself currently
Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7