× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 wired ethernet connection slower than 5G wifi

sero7onin
Aspirant

XR500 wired ethernet connection slower than 5G wifi

Hello everyone, 

I really do like the XR500 and its features, thats why I planned to use it as the router in my home network. Since like forever wired connections are better than wifi connections I wired every room, especially for my gaming consoles. After setting everything up I encountered a strange problem: Wifi connections in 5G are significantly faster on the speedtests of fast.com and speedtest.net. My provider Cable connection is 100Mb down.

Ofc I first thought about the wiring, so I disconnected everything and hooked a client single line directly into the XR500 without a switch. I also used a different cable, not the cables I walled in every room. 

Testing config was this: Modem -> XR500 -> Client. I used a new Cat7 and a Cat6a cable, tested both with a (cheap) cable tester. Clients have been a notebook, XBOX One X, LG Oled C7. I tested with QoS enabled and disabled and tried different settings for Anti Bufferbloat. No change, my mobile, the TV, the XBOX and my surface in the 5G wifi got 100Mb download, all the wired tests led to only 40 - 60Mb download.

I even tried my old ASUS Dark Knight router, here I have the 100Mb. 

I have no idea what the problem is, but I am quite sure, it is not the wiring or the clients, since they work on the ASUS router. I would be very happy, if someone has a good idea what I am maybe missing here.

Thx and cheers,

sero 

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi sero, have you tested every single LAN port on the XR500 to check if you have a faulty port?
Message 2 of 7
sero7onin
Aspirant

Hi Fraser,

thank you for your reply. I did now test all the ports. I think I found the problem, and I am a bit mad at myself for not noticing this at once: in the device manager there were like 10 devices tagged as gaming consoles (mobiles, AVR etc.). I changed that. So after letting the network "settle" for 2 days (when I was tinkering I rebooted like 100 times, maybe one of the network components didn't like the frequently changing IP addresses), I almost reach the 100Mb. I didn't think of that solution, since I had the problem while testing even when I disabled QoS. So it seems to work now and I am sorry for wasting your time 😞

Since your here I have a small different question: When my XBOX ONE X is running, the netduma OS detects high priority traffic even when im not gaming. Which is a bit of a problem when I am streaming Netflix (ONE X is the only device I own which does ATMOS and VISION), since the QoS also reduces the XBOX speed. Is this working as intended or is there something I can do? XBOX is hooked directly into the XR500. 

Thank you so much for your help 🙂

Best regards,

Sero

Message 3 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Ahh that would explain why it happened then as they were likely being prioritized which would cause a slow down. Glad you figured out the cause!

It's unlikely to be detecting the Netflix as something that needs to be prioritized but the intermittent check ins with the online XBL service which then in turn is allowing the Xbox to be prioritized. The only suggestion I have for that is either disable Traffic Prioritization when you're going to watch or switch Anti-Bufferbloat to a different option. Will look into it and see if we can fine tune it.
Message 4 of 7
mduffin
Initiate

I have recently installed the XR500. I have 300Mbps down, 12Mbps up service.

On 5Mhz, I get close to these speeds, but when I do wired port into my 2017 15" MacBook Pro, the max download I get is 80Mbps.

I have disabled QoS and any prioritization. Still cannot achieve fast download speeds on wired port.

Suggestions?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 5 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi mduffin, are you using an ethernet adapter to your MacBook? As far as I am aware the 2017 models do not have an ethernet port, is that correct? If you are using an adapter then it likely only supports up to 100mbps.
Message 6 of 7
mduffin
Initiate

I just ordered a ethernet > USB-c adaptor that is 1-GB rated to test. If this works, then I can test powerline against WiFi strength and distance.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7