× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 wired/wireless speed degrades after a short amount of time

lexrst
Tutor

XR500 wired/wireless speed degrades after a short amount of time

My speeds degrade over a short period of time.  3 computers are wired and 1 wireless.  Modem>Router>Computers nothing special.  Both the modem and router are brand new 4 months.  Computer direct to modem holds constant speeds over time.  When I reboot the router speeds go back to normal for a short amount of time and the issue happens again.  I have tried doing a factory reset and leaving the config alone. I have tried turning off QoS totaly and nothing there.  Cables are Cat5e and pretty short with the exception of one.   Any suggestions guys , thanks.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do the speeds slowdown for both wired and wireless devices? When it next happens if you go to the setup wizard from settings and just go as far as the speedtest what results do you get? How have you disabled QoS exactly?
Message 2 of 24
lexrst
Tutor

Yes both wired and wireless will slow down.   I will have to check the wizard for the speeds, I run the speedtest from speedtest.net to get my results and will be as low as 5Mbps down and about the same up. I have Gigablast from Cox so I get around 700 - 900 depending on what we have running and what is going on with cox on average.  Running a test from the router I get 459 down and 33 up.  speedtest.net gave me 661 down and 16 up. when I wake up in the morning and do a test it will be down to 5 at the lowest that I have seen.  If I then reboot it it will take me back up to normal speeds. For QoS I went under it and selected never under Anti-Bufferbloat, when I go into it, it will say All QoS features are disabled.

Message 3 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Does it just happen once a day then from what you gather? When you reboot it in the morning do you see it happen again before the next morning? In Settings go to monitoring > connection status, what does it say for DHCP lease obtained/expires?
Message 4 of 24
lexrst
Tutor

I rebooted it this morning from the night before.  Just got home from work and it is down to 4.31 down and .88 up.  for connection status it is Obtained 1 day and expires 15 hours 59 min.

Message 5 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the information, when you see it again could you look in System Information please and see what the CPU & RAM usage results are?
Message 6 of 24
lexrst
Tutor

so last night about this time is when I did the reset and not this morning like usual.  this morning everything was normal speeds, but now they are in the tank again, 6.85 down and 6.03 up.  Ram is 60.1 DumaOS, 178.5 Kernel and 233.4 free.   Cpu 0 fluxes from 10-40% and Cpu1 fluxes from 0-20%

Message 7 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would recommend reuploading the firmware to the router using this method - this will get around any issues caused by bootup. Then when you've done that I would suggest a factory reset and see if the issue persists.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Message 8 of 24
lexrst
Tutor

Hey sorry for the late response.  I haven't been able to try the solution yet, been a crazy weekend but going to get to it tonight and will let you know what happens.  Thank you again for all the help so far!

Message 9 of 24
lexrst
Tutor

ok firmware updated by tftp and reset done.  I noticed in the Anti-Bufferbloat that it said Never should that have reset or is that the correct starting value?  it has the down at 157 and up at 35.  if I do a speedtest it gives me 61 and 25.  do I need to do another reset?  net speeds should be 900/45.

Message 10 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Never is the correct starting point for QoS. You should put the speeds in the Anti-Bufferbloat option menu that you expect to receive, then do another speed test.
Message 11 of 24
lexrst
Tutor

Ok reset the anti bufferbloat to expected values, ran speedtest and still received 71 down and 17 up.

Message 12 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In that same menu is an option to disable QoS completely, could you do that and redo a test please?
Message 13 of 24
lexrst
Tutor

I just wanted to verify my speeds from the computer direct to the modem and I am getting 942/19.  QoS is set to 886 down and 34 up and that is what it picked on the reset and goodput is checked and Disable QoS is checked.  test after this is 95/20.

Message 14 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That sounds like the router is getting the correct speeds but having trouble passing that onto devices. Go to Device Manager and switch to table view. What does the link speed say for the wired ports and wireless devices?
Message 15 of 24
lexrst
Tutor

Ok in the Ports Table there are 4 listed plus internet.  the first has N/A and the rest are listed as 1000Mbits.   In the next section Devices Table everything shows up N/A except my wife and son computer, they show 1000Mbits but mine shows N/A even though I am online.

Message 16 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That is very strange, do you notice any patterns of what is happening with your devices or any settings you may have changed prior to the speeds dropping e.g. doing heavy downloads etc?
Message 17 of 24
lexrst
Tutor

Nothing out of the norm.  This morning I pulled everything apart and started from scratch.  Speeds are normal where they should be 943/10.   my upload is tanking right now because there is an issue with Cox but everything else seems to be normal.  Going to check in the morning to see if the speeds hold.

Message 18 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay do keep us updated!
Message 19 of 24
lexrst
Tutor

So far it looks promising.  Speeds are 517/13 and that's with 2 people in games, one streaming netflix and another one online with misc. stuff.  So it has held up overnight!

Message 20 of 24
lexrst
Tutor

Well that was short lived.  Just did another test and back to the same issue.  8 down 7 up. that is with one person gaming and netflix sitting at the menu screen for about an hour. Where to now.

Message 21 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How long have you had the router for?
Message 22 of 24
lexrst
Tutor

4 months maybe 5 would have to look to be exact but no more then 5 months for sure.

Message 23 of 24
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In that case I would suggest pursuing a replacement with Netgear by making a ticket here: http://support.netgear.com/ or going through the retailer you purchased from.
Message 24 of 24
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7