× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 with Chromecast and gaming

JHickey4425
Tutor

XR500 with Chromecast and gaming

I just purchased the XR500 and have watched multiple videos on the set up of the device as well as reading the helpful tips to prevent lag throughout the gaming experience.

What I want to know is why is my Chromecast using all the bandwidth EVEN THOUGH I've done these few things...

I've set the "traffic prioritization" for the PS4.

Bandwidth Allocation : 54% which allows for 51mbps to the console.

Anti-Bufferbloat : 80% (I've tinkered with different numbers such as the helpful tip of 70%) which still creates this issue. Also, the chromecast as well as the phone it is pulling from are set at 5% (barely enough juice to allow 1080p).

Any suggestions or solutions?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 13
JHickey4425
Tutor

I apologize...the issue I'm having is based around the PS4 lagging significantly when the chromecast is turned on.

Through my network monitoring it is using significantly more than my ps4 and is hogging about 2/3rds of the bandwidth total.

I have my anti-bufferbloat selected to Always as well.

Message 2 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is your physical setup? It sounds like the XR500 doesn't have full control over devices otherwise your settings would work.

Remove manual rule for PS4 in Traffic Prioritization and keep DumaOS Classified Games enabled, it covers consoles also. The PS4 definitely doesn't need that big a chunk of bandwidth, games use less than 1mbps. I'd reallocate your percentages and then disable Share Excess in the download/upload of bandwidth allocation. That will ensure the devices can never take more than you've allocated.
Message 3 of 13
JHickey4425
Tutor

Okay.

My physical setup is ps4 connected ethernet. My chromecast is being casted from a samsung phone (which I did a little more research and found that some samsungs have bad bursts of packets coming through). However, upon looking into the chromecast a little bit more. My buffering issue did not go away when I allocated a little more than just the 8mpbs that it states for 1080p.

So, in theory what you're saying @Netduma-Fraser is I should reallocate the %s back to normal distribution? Does that work well enough? I just want to ensure we're not having issues while playing PS4. I also want to be able to have my chromecasts work simultaneously as my fiance likes to watch netflix if she's upstairs.

My download is 120mbps and upload is 13mpbs with 15-30ping @Case850

Message 4 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I meant more of modem > XR500 etc but thanks! As if you reset allocation to default with share excess on then Anti-Bufferbloat should eliminate the issue you're having - make sure its set to always.
Message 5 of 13
JHickey4425
Tutor

Sorry about that.

Modem / Wan / Router

It's the normal set up.

Message 6 of 13
JHickey4425
Tutor

Also,

If I change the allocations a little bit to ensure the PS4 is highly effective. What % should I give the Chromecast and the PS4?

Currently, I have Anti-Bufferbloat to 80%. My PS4 is 27% allocation. My Chromecast is 18% allocation. My computer is at 28%. With my two phones at 6% a piece. Is this effective or not?

My 80% Anti-Bufferbloat is 94.8 down and 9.7 up.

Message 7 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes that should be absolutely fine, if Anti-Bufferbloat is set to always you shouldn't have an issue.

Do you have IPv6?
Message 8 of 13
JHickey4425
Tutor

I do not have IPv6. I didn't see a reason to run it.

Message 9 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay good should work fine then, is it working with the changes?
Message 10 of 13
JHickey4425
Tutor

I haven't been able to do the full testing for it unfortunately. I will keep the thread open and inform later tonight.

Thank you for your assistance currently.

Message 11 of 13
XRaptor29
Luminary

Download isn't as much of a concern as the upload is. I'd make sure the PS4 has at least 1Mb upload allocated to it. Not having a steady bandwidth for upload could cause lag.

I have both my Xbox Ones set with default download allocation and set upload to 1Mb allocation on each Xbox.

Don't have any lag issues except with Elder Scrolls online but that's because of how large the game is and the high player count.
Message 12 of 13
Endorphine71
Apprentice

Make sure all your Chromecast and Android devices have been patched.  There was a nasty multicast bug that was taking down home networks.  https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/19/16909352/google-patch-wi-fi-bug-chromecast-devices

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7