× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 with EX7700 and Imac

Pallywood
Tutor

XR500 with EX7700 and Imac

Hello

I recently revived an Imac. The Wifi network card that is uses is a Atheros 9380.

The extender is connected via an ethernet cable.

When the imac is near the Xr500 I can only get speed up to 100Mbps.

If I take the Imac and place it next to the EX7700 the speed is at 250Mbps.

My phone gets 600Mbps next to the router.

Why is there such a speed difference between the router and the extender on the Imac

The Imac is running High Sierra

Thank you

James

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
Pallywood
Tutor

Re: XR500 with EX7700 and Imac

That shows my devices. My phones show as wired?That shows my devices. My phones show as wired?

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

@Pallywood wrote:

Hello

I recently revived an Imac. The Wifi network card that is uses is a Atheros 9380.

The extender is connected via an ethernet cable.

When the imac is near the Xr500 I can only get speed up to 100Mbps.

If I take the Imac and place it next to the EX7700 the speed is at 250Mbps.

My phone gets 600Mbps next to the router.

Why is there such a speed difference between the router and the extender on the Imac

The Imac is running High Sierra

Thank you

James

it could be a couple things. What band are you connected to when the Imac is running off the XR500? And which band is it connected to when running off the EX7700?

Reason I ask is that 5ghz is significantly faster than 2.4ghz. And they both have band steering. The XR500 runs dumaOS and the EX7700 is running netgear's firmware. Potentially they have different settings for which devices 'needs' to be on the 5ghz band. 

Message 3 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As above, disable Smart Connect on the XR and then connect to 5GHz and see if you get faster speeds.
Message 4 of 9
Pallywood
Tutor

For now  I have turned off the Wifi on the router and I am connectingg via the extender. The speed is up to 125Mgbs now. 

The extender in in another room./)

I dont see an option on the Imac wifi settings to choose the wifi frequecy. ( is that because smart connect is turned on)

Thanks

James

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

When you're using smart connect, the extender or router (depending on which connected to) band steers. That means it moves devices between 2.4ghz and 5ghz as needed. 

https://kb.netgear.com/25346/What-is-Smart-Connect-and-how-do-I-enable-or-disable-it-on-my-Nighthawk...

Message 6 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you ever been able to get close to the speeds the phone is getting with the iMac on any other router? It may be that the WiFi card is not strong enough.
Message 7 of 9
Pallywood
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Have you ever been able to get close to the speeds the phone is getting with the iMac on any other router? It may be that the WiFi card is not strong enough.

The maximum theoretical speed on this card is 300, So 250 is is fine next the the extender.

The trouble was that I was getting just 60 next to the router. For now I have turned the wifi off on the router and I am connecting via the extender and I am getting around 130 so that is a big improvement.

Thanks

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

You don't have to turn off the wifi on the router. Just make sure its on a different wifi channel than the extender if the extender is running in AP (access point) mode. 

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7