× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 with HybridVPN and NordVPN

RaleighEd
Aspirant

XR500 with HybridVPN and NordVPN

Not able to get NordVPN with their OpenVPN config file to run successfully. I copied the config file, etc. as described. The information shows that the status is connected, but when I check for a DNS leak, it shows that the connection isn't secure.

The VPN runs properly on the computer, but I can't get it to run successfully on the router with HybridVPN.

Thanks,

Ed

Message 1 of 12
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi Ed - just to repost my reply in your other thread, this will be fixed in the next firmware.

Message 2 of 12
nickstanton
Tutor

has this been resolved? i can't figure out how to connect Nord and my xr500

Message 3 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Nick, are you using an OpenVPN config file from Nord and putting it in the advanced setup of the VPN Hybrid?
Message 4 of 12
Nightfall1293
Aspirant

Hey I am having the same issue. I have tried both the tcp and udp config files. I am using the hybrid vpn setup and using my username and pass for my nordvpn account and then copy and pasting the file into the box under the advanced setup. Still leaking and not being protected by the vpn even though it says connected next to status.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 5 of 12
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

The leaking is a known bug. You can tell if the VPN's working at all by asking Google where your IP places you.

Message 6 of 12
Nightfall1293
Aspirant

Yes it still places me at my correct location it is not working properly.
Message 7 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It should show on Google, delete your browser cache and check other IP sites as well, may just be cached.
Message 8 of 12
Nightfall1293
Aspirant

Nope not coached cleared all history and cache and checked on multiple devices including smart phone, game console, desktop, and laptop all still show my ISP ip address.
Message 9 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How have you setup the VPN Traffic Panel? Have you added any devices?
Message 10 of 12
Nightfall1293
Aspirant

I have tried it both ways. i was under the impression that by not adding any devices to the side that anything connected to the router was protected by the vpn. I then tried adding my desktop and phone to the devices on the side and still shows on both of those devices the isp IP address. Furthermore, nordvpn customer support said that they don't support hybrid vpns, so not sure if this would affect that or not? I don't see how it could as that would be a router setting not a vpn setting.

Message 11 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No that’s not the case, if you want it to a whole device and not specific applications/services on that device then you need to add it using Do NOT VPN these services. Try that and see if your IP has changed.
Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7