× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500

Vidal
Aspirant

XR500

I have been using my XR500 for over 8 to 9 month now. I do a lot of online gaming and moslty play call of duty games.   

im still using my internet provider modem...   I wan to buy a better modem which netgear modem you all recommed??

Message 1 of 5
microchip8
Master

Re: XR500

Best is to first check with your ISP which models/brands they support. Call them up and ask

Message 2 of 5

@Vidal wrote:

im still using my internet provider modem...   I wan to buy a better modem which netgear modem you all recommed??

Who knows?

As @microchip8 suggests, it is hard to tell without knowing what your Internet service is.

I chip in only to say that modems are rarely the bottleneck in a local network.

What is that modem?

Message 3 of 5
Vidal
Aspirant

The modem i hvae from my internet provider is E31U2V1.

Do you all think that netgears CM1000 is better?

Message 4 of 5

@Vidal wrote:

Do you all think that netgears CM1000 is better?

Ask yourself what "better" means.

With a modem the job is to suck the Internet out of the network and deliver it to your router.

Pretty well the only thing it affects is the speed. So "better" would have to be faster.

What Internet speed to do you pay for? How fast is your service if you remove the router from the equation and just plug into the modem? Is there a large improvement?

A more reliable way of getting faster internet is to sign up for a faster service. If that isn't available, my guess is that a new modem is just throwing money down the drain.

The main reason that most people have for getting a new modem is that it lets them stop paying a monthly rental for the thing.

Do you have any reason for thinking that your XR500 isn't fast enough for your needs?

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7