× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 Constant Issues with DHCP

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I think everyone with this issue should describe Netgear's and NetDuma's lack of support here:

https://edelson.com/contact/ 

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 26 of 116
Zeyko
Aspirant

I am having exaclty the same issue as posted here. It's very annoying to get all my devices connected. This issue began about 2 month ago and it's getting worse, any clue on how I can solve this problem?

PD: I updated the firmware to the XR700-V1.0.1.24_beta (hotfix) but the problem persist.

Message 27 of 116
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Wait for never for NetDuma and Netgear to actually do something about this. Netgear and NetDuma feign ignorance while sending their customers down rabbit holes. We should all follow my instructions from my previous post.
Message 28 of 116
Zeyko
Aspirant

I spoke to Netgear, they want me to restart the router again, Already did that more than 3 times and the problem persist. I'm getting tired of this router to be honest. Too expensive router with a really bad customer support.

Message 29 of 116
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Zeyko sorry to hear you're having this issue. There are a few potential workarounds - change to Static in Internet Setup and giving your LAN devices IP reservations. A more radical workaround would be to disable DHCP fully after giving devices reserved/static IPs.

@Retired_Member we're not feigning ignorance at all. I'm very aware of the issue, I'm giving potential workarounds because that is my job to try and help in anyway I can. Until a fix is ready that is all I can do. A fix will be in 3.0, that has already been confirmed by a Netgear employee in the existing XR500 beta.
Message 30 of 116
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Netduma-Fraser, OK well just admit that NetDuma and Netgear has dropped the ball then - when your "router" cannot even handle basic DHCP functions and you are more focused on fancy bells and whistles instead of break/fix/security. 

Message 31 of 116
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Retired_Member DHCP is part of Settings which is handled/developed by Netgear so nothing to do with our part of the firmware, we can't stop innovating and fixing our own bugs because of that. Why they've left it so long I don't know, all I can say for certain is that a Netgear developer posted in the XR500 3.0 beta saying that it will be fixed in one of the next beta builds. I know it's frustrating, I can understand that. All I can assure you is that this next update is a real turning point for the software/routers and will be worth the wait.
Message 32 of 116
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Netduma-Fraser, what you all don't understand is that the turning point will not exist b/c it comes before the bridge both NetDuma and Netgear have both burned down.  Netgear's and NetDuma's lack of the ability to take ownership should tell current customers to come off of these products ASAP. 

Message 33 of 116
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Netduma-Fraser, what you all don't understand is that the turning point will not exist b/c it comes after the bridge both NetDuma and Netgear have both burned down.  Netgear's and NetDuma's lack of the ability to take ownership should tell current customers to come off of these products ASAP. 

Message 34 of 116
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

At the end of the day, we know the issue exists and there is a fix that will be in one of the next beta builds so when the beta is available for the XR700 that should be fixed for you as well. Ourselves and Netgear are committed to making the 3.0 better than any update so far.
Message 35 of 116
Eidolon
Guide

I'm having the exact same issue. The only work around I've found is to edit the lease valid time down to 5 hours or another short length. Most items then will get a DHCP IP address. Once all is working I can change the length back to 24 hours.

I've a mixture of static and virtual. Static will work straight away after reboot but DHCP devices has issues.
Message 36 of 116
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Where are you doing this exactly, on the up stream hub? The XR doesn't have the ability to change lease times.
Message 37 of 116
Eidolon
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Where are you doing this exactly, on the up stream hub? The XR doesn't have the ability to change lease times.

Hi 

I change it when i log on to the router.

You can find it here:

Settings/LAN setup/DHCP Lease Time (range: 1-24 hours)

running version: XR700 V1.0.1.20

Hope that helps

Message 38 of 116
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Ah apologies, was looking at the 500. Glad you have found a semi workaround, NG will have a fix soon and should be in the 3.0 beta.
Message 39 of 116
Eidolon
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Ah apologies, was looking at the 500. Glad you have found a semi workaround, NG will have a fix soon and should be in the 3.0 beta.

NPs Any idea on when the version 3 is due or at least the beta? I'm in 2 minds if to buy a raspberry pi to create a DHCP server.

Message 40 of 116
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

My estimate would be a few weeks but don't hold me to that.
Message 41 of 116
Eidolon
Guide

Evening. 

Just as a question on duma 3 when it is released.

Will it also:

List devices even if it goes through the MR60 in ap mode?

Sort network lag between r700 and mr60? (Mr60 finds Internet,  but detection time is drastically increased when going to Web pages, streaming, speedtest) ping response is quick to internal network, slow externally.  

Cheers

Message 42 of 116
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Any devices connected to another device in AP mode that is connected behind the XR will show as though they are directly connected to the router. That sounds like a MR60 issue.
Message 43 of 116
SillyMo
Tutor

I came because I'm having very similar issues.

The router will run fine for a few months, but then suddenly stop handing out IPs.  I have to reset the whole router to get any wireless devices to connect again.  It is quite frustrating.

Message 44 of 116

Agreed, this DHCP issue has been quite ridiculous.  I am at the point where I have had to buy a number of managed switches to wire in anything possible; defeating the purpose of the having WiFi in the first place.  From the thread here, and my own experience, it seems like the issue has been getting worse for the better part of a year now.  What used to be annoying now requires days of rebooting every wireless device I own to force reconnects.  Not sure what's going on over at Netgear, but you would think someone might be QA'ing code before it gets released.  Possibly related, but the 5Ghz signal seems to be very unstable when using the Smart Connect feature to share an SSID between the 2.4 and 5 signals.  I assume this is another bad app or memory leak in the OS. 

All around disappointing is all I can say.  I feel bad because my company resells Netgear's commercial and consumer lines and now I have to send that revenue to either Cisco or Extreme.  More work for me and one less choice for my customers.

Message 45 of 116
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm talking with the NG lead at the moment regarding this, previously I was relying on others to pass the details on so hopefully I can work with him to try and get this sorted asap.
Message 46 of 116
SillyMo
Tutor

Your help with this is super appreciated  @Netduma-Fraser !

Message 47 of 116
Eidolon
Guide

Thanks Netduma-Fraser. 

Are you able to explain why the DHCP issues are happening? Will a patch will fix this or is it the root code in the firmware and that is why duma 3.0 is needed. 

Let us know if anything happens. 

Message 48 of 116
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

At the moment I am not able to. I do know that it is a bug that will require Netgear to fix. I think it struggles to re-establish a connection after a WAN/LAN lease has been renewed. 3.0 isn't needed for the fix as it's on the Netgear side of things.
Message 49 of 116
Eidolon
Guide

Darn

I was going the net duma 3 was going to fix the dhcp as well.  

Was looking at the logs tonight and my router is going nuts on dhcp please refresh and allocation.  

Do you have anyone you can talk to at netgear to give some advice on the fix? 

Message 50 of 116
Discussion stats
  • 115 replies
  • 20 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7