× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 Constant Issues with DHCP

Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It requires a firmware fix, I haven't heard anything for a week so I've chased them again today. Hopefully will get some info back tomorrow that it has progressed.
Message 51 of 116

Thank you.  The OpenDHCP box I stood up is doing the trick quite nicely for now.  I'm will be pretty busy for the next few weeks, so if I see a hotfix of a new OS I will try to test it if I have time.  Otherwise it might be early December before I can shut my network down again and see if the router actually works.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 52 of 116
Eidolon
Guide

@militant_jawa Thank you!  A recommendation on a open dhcp server. I'll do that one tomorrow.  

@Netduma-Fraser thank you.  If you are near the bracknell office in UK, I'll owe you a pint when we're out of lockdown. Netgear is a partner of the company I work for so I'm in the offices occasionally. 

Message 53 of 116
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Eidolon we actually have our own offices in Cambridge, so not too near there that often but cheers for the offer!
Message 54 of 116

http://dhcpserver.sourceforge.net/

Super easy.

1. Install
  2. Modify the config file with scope(s); add static reservations if needed
  3. Restart service

Make sure your computer is set to not sleep, suspend, or in other ways turn off or the leases can't renew when they expire.

Cheers!

Message 55 of 116
Eidolon
Guide

@militant_jawa thanks bud.  

@Netduma-Fraser no issues and offer still stands

Message 56 of 116
Vinvinsim
Tutor

OK so we’ve been promised Duma 3.0 like the ancient Egyptians were promised freedom they keep promising “the turning point” or “lag less gameplay” “kick latency spikes to the curb” I’m pretty sure That last one is printed on the box but for real they’ve been promising and not delivering since the release of this line and it’s pretty Infuriating seeing as how it’s their flag ship line you know what supposed to be the best of the best but instead everybody who is dumb enough to drive 500 bucks on this paperweight (me) Would’ve been better off taking their ISPs the default smart RG router I Have a static connection you’re my ISP with a dedicated Ip That being said where I’m located my IST requires me to connect with a PPPOE...... I should always be live..... i’m not inconsistent crashing feature not working as advertised in abysmal DHCP (I hear your pain dude days of line at this point have been wasted on this **bleep**) Only to call Netgear to ask them for some support with your $500 paperweight and get told the cop another hundred and some odd dollars lick my balls they’re **bleep**ing dusty definitely the last netgear product I’m buying or at least if I buy something else I’ll expect 50% of was advertised because that’s more than what I got with this............”But hold on if you just hang on for one more month duma 3.0is getting released”...Bull **bleep**ing **bleep** I literally have a comment thread from a year ago saying that It was going to get released real soon Netgear is filled with crooks I’m convinced of that because what they did to anybody who bought an XR700 is highway robbery............PS I am an s8000 switch to dont even get me **bleep**ing going😑🤦💩💩💩🤮🤢☹️💔You promised me the stars in the sky Netgear and You haven’t even gotten off the ground...... 2 years in Pull your **bleep** together before you don’t have a business To be pumping hot trash Out onto the streets with... Free advertising goes a long way and believe you me you got a lot of it out of me 🍽💩&👅
🎱 🍆 🎱 It’s the least you could do for us customers they got hustled
Message 57 of 116
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 58 of 116
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The XR700 beta has been available since mid week so you can try it here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/XR700-DumaOS-3-0-Beta-Firmware/td-p...
Message 59 of 116
SillyMo
Tutor

I upgraded to .36 and the system did its thing where  my wireless devices won't connect.  Rebooting  via the OS did nothing.  Unpulgging it  immediatly plugging it back in did nothing.  Master resetting the router did nothing.   I let it sit for about 15 minutes unplugged and that did the trick.   😞

Has anyone had any joy with the beta firmware and these issues?

Message 60 of 116
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that @SillyMo if it happens again try disabling WiFi from Advanced WiFi settings, rebooting, then enabling and rebooting.
Message 61 of 116
SillyMo
Tutor

I'll give that a try  when it inevitably happens again in a month or so.  

Message 62 of 116
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Thanks, let us know how you get on.

Message 63 of 116
SillyMo
Tutor

Sadly no joy doing that.

Message 64 of 116
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you tried upgrading to the beta to see if it is still an issue there? I'd recommend doing a factory reset once you upgrade to prevent any legacy issues carrying over.
Message 65 of 116
SillyMo
Tutor

Well, I asked if anyone had any success using it and the response was to turn off wifi, reboot and turn it back on.  

I dont really want to use a beta that has other issues as you can see in the related forum post, compounding my issue.  It  is also  running an older verison of firmware with   who knows what security isuses since Netgear's documentation says nothing.

Message 66 of 116
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's fair enough, the NG team are looking into it right now so I am hopeful some time in the new year they will be able to deploy a fix.
Message 67 of 116
SillyMo
Tutor

If there is anything I can do to help let me know .  The issue used to happen once every few months, but has happened twice in December now so I'd really like to have this resolved.

Thanks.

Message 68 of 116
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

I have been having this issue for a year now, also duma3.0 beta has not fixed it.
Message 69 of 116
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@SillyMo a Netgear dev has provided a debug firmware for the 500 with instructions on what to capture. I don't think you specifically need that firmware to capture what is needed so if you can try doing this:

Plugin a USB device to DUT (router). Open debug page: http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm
Select the checkbox “Enable WAN/LAN Packet Capture”.
Choose “USB Device” in store location.
Click "Start Capture" button.
Once issue occurs, press the Button “Save debug log”.
Send the log to us. (@TimChang)

Please make sure in the capture file in \\192.168.1.1\USB_Storage\Capture, there are lan.pcap and wan.pcap file inside.
Message 70 of 116
SillyMo
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
@SillyMoa Netgear dev has provided a debug firmware for the 500 with instructions on what to capture. I don't think you specifically need that firmware to capture what is needed so if you can try doing this:

Plugin a USB device to DUT (router). Open debug page: http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm
Select the checkbox “Enable WAN/LAN Packet Capture”.
Choose “USB Device” in store location.
Click "Start Capture" button.
Once issue occurs, press the Button “Save debug log”.
Send the log to us. (@TimChang)

Please make sure in the capture file in \\192.168.1.1\USB_Storage\Capture, there are lan.pcap and wan.pcap file inside.

Alright... so the issue is currently happening.  
When I enable WAN/LAN capture it disables itself on reboot.   I'm also not seeing the lan.pcap or wan.pcap files in here.

What am I doing wrong?

Message 71 of 116
SillyMo
Tutor

An update, I remembered I got ProSupport and gave them a call.  While I was waiting for them I was just poking around and seeing what I might have done to cause an issue.    It might be coincidental but, I  reset the router and everything worked using the default settings.  I changed the SSIDs and password and boom.  IPs stopped assigning to all of my wireless devices.  I changed them back to the defaults and it started working again.  After a bit more messing around, every change I made didn't cause an issue except changing the SSID AND the  password.  Changing the SSID and leaving the default passwords worked, changing the passwords but using the original SSIDs worked.  It is very strange.  The support rep I talked to didn't seem too surprised when I was talking to her about my issues. After a few minutes of trying some things she decided I should just RMA my router.     Thats all done and I shall be getting a XR1000 instead of the XR700. Hopefully  it is a better experience than  my XR700.

If you still want them, I  think I got the logs and files before I called support.

Message 72 of 116
Eidolon
Guide

If only they would RMA mine as well. Still major issues and as i use this for WFH i cant risk using a BETA that may cause me other issues. 

Message 73 of 116
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@SillyMo when did you reboot? Did you save the debug log before rebooting? If you changed the SSID and Passwords then all devices connecting to the WiFi would have disconnected and wouldn't have reconnected until you tried to connect them to the new WiFi name and password - did you do that?

@Eidolan if you can provide the information above NG can work on a fix.
Message 74 of 116
Eidolon
Guide

Hi 

Im out and about currently dealing with some stuff. 

In short i havent tried the leaving the SSID as standard and the password ass is. I always reconfigure ssid and password. 

What happens if i reset my router is:

Change SSID

Change Password

Set a reduced DHCP range for 50-199

Previous devices with saved credentials will try and reconnect.

Anything with static IP will be succesful in connecting to the wifi

Some of the DHCP devices will be succesful to connect and recieve an ip address. 

Other will say cannot get ip address.

When i looked at the log it shows trying to allocate IP address. allocated IP address. then re tries to allocate the same address to the same MAC. 

I have now been using a standalone DHCP server and i have now no issues on connecting previously configured devices, static devices or dhcp devices. 

My network is temporarily stable. 

My previous comment about RMA, is that if the XR1000 is a working and usable device a XR700 replacement would be much appreciated 🙂

Message 75 of 116
Discussion stats
  • 115 replies
  • 20 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7