× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 Constant Issues with DHCP

ShadowMelt
Apprentice

Great news
Message 101 of 116
serial_killer69
Aspirant

When will that happen?! I only hear empty promises and hopes for months now, and still nothing, this is a 300€ router, not a chinese cheap 30€ one!! This is unaceptable on this level from a reputable company like Netgear!

Message 102 of 116
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

I understand it's frustrating, we're working as hard as we can to progress this but unfortunately these things take time. I can't really provide an ETA for when this might happen but we'll update the forum the moment we know.

Message 103 of 116
Eidolon
Guide

Hi @serial_killer69 and anyone else that may find the below useful. 

I completely agree with your frustrations and echo them myself. If you have a laptop or PC kicking around, try using Open DHCP. I've been using that for months as a work around and my network hasnt hiccuped since. The thought of using the XR700 as an AP only would drive me nuts, especially as you said it is so expensive. 

I've given up on waiting for this to be fixed so i recently purchased a NAS to use for Plex, but it also gives me a DHCP server which hasnt fallen over yet. Even if they supposedly fix it, i dont think i'll trust it to do the job. 

With regards to RMA, i purchased my unit 18 months ago so they won't give me a RMA. Good luck if this is the route you take. 

Hope the above is useful and if nothing else gives you some ideas as a work around. 

Message 104 of 116
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

Is there an update to the new firmware?
Message 105 of 116
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Nothing yet, the XR500 potential fix hasn't fixed it for all users so something that still needs to be looked into
Message 106 of 116
serial_killer69
Aspirant

So a few more months has passed and still nothing.... Is that so hard to get people together to fix a MAJOR product flaw?

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Nothing yet, the XR500 potential fix hasn't fixed it for all users so something that still needs to be looked into

Message 107 of 116
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Apologies for that, we are working on this issue dilligently but unfortunately it's a complicated one. We'll be sure to post here once we have an update.

Message 108 of 116
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

I hope so, I'm crossing my fingers. I have been waiting so long
Message 109 of 116
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

Any news on this this fix?
Message 110 of 116
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@ShadowMelt NG are actively looking into the issue and combing over all the data they have received from the community so I suspect that they will be able to fix this for the next version but I don't have an ETA on that.
Message 111 of 116
Eidolon
Guide

Hi Netduma

Firstly this is not to you as i know that you have been so very helpful and have kept us all updated. This is feedback to Netgear.

Over a year a go this thred was created and we are told, it will be fixed.

If this was a car, and it couldnt do a fundemental role which is expected of a car, like lock the doors, then it would of been recalled and fixed.

This is a very expensive piece of kit, and it is faulty. It isnt fit for purpose as it doesnt work! 

How much longer do we have to wait for a resolution? 

From my perspective, we have all been considerate and accepting of the position of Netgear. We have believed the constant "soon" comments. Apart from requesting a RMA, i don't know what else to do. 

Message 112 of 116
RamjetX
Star

So after a year and a half of issues with the XR700... I've ditched it as the DHCP host on my network.

I've replaced it with a Raspberry Pi 4, running Pihole as a DNS ad blocker and DHCP host all in one. It's only been a day so far, but everything looks to be working. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pihole+dhcp <--- Use some of these videos to learn how

Will keep people updated if I experience any problems... Using this method, I still get to keep the Plex built in on the router and the Pi doesn't add alot to the electric bill.

We shouldn't have to do this. But Netgear and Netduma will never fix the DHCP in their firmware.... and it's becoming quite clear now that they don't know how to fix it.

Ramjet

Message 113 of 116
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

Is there any news on this from netgear team?
Message 114 of 116
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I haven't heard any new news but I'll ask the team and see how they're getting on with it. I assure you they will be fixing this, issues like these are not always clear and can take significant debugging
Message 115 of 116
Eidolon
Guide

@RamjetX wrote:

So after a year and a half of issues with the XR700... I've ditched it as the DHCP host on my network.

I've replaced it with a Raspberry Pi 4, running Pihole as a DNS ad blocker and DHCP host all in one. It's only been a day so far, but everything looks to be working. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pihole+dhcp <--- Use some of these videos to learn how

Will keep people updated if I experience any problems... Using this method, I still get to keep the Plex built in on the router and the Pi doesn't add alot to the electric bill.

We shouldn't have to do this. But Netgear and Netduma will never fix the DHCP in their firmware.... and it's becoming quite clear now that they don't know how to fix it.

Ramjet

Ditto. I now use my NAS as DHCP. 

Message 116 of 116
Discussion stats
  • 115 replies
  • 20 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7