× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR700 - Continuous Lag whilst online gaming

Victor_Tango_
Aspirant

XR700 - Continuous Lag whilst online gaming

Hi there,

I have been struggling with online gaming (mostly Destiny 2 and some COD:MW) since I purchased the XR700 about 3 months ago.  I have followed all of the guides but I feel like there is something wrong with my setup and I hope someone can assist.

When online gaming, particualrly when the other devices in the house are streaming Youtube or Netflix, my system lags significantly.  The numbers on the network monitor do not appear to be even approaching my connction speeds, hence the connection shouldn't be overloaded and QoS should be ensuring my game doesn't lag anyway.  The lag manifests itself in the controller, e.g. my inputs have no effect on what I'm doing in game, or suddenly over correct and spin me in a circle.  This happens in both PVE and PVP, although it appears to be worse in PVP. It usually happens in spikes - there will be an overall feeling of lag to the inputs, then it will spike and my inputs will have no effect then too much, then return to the laggy feeling.

I'm not sure whether this is something to do with the base setup or an issue with QoS.  I have tried various different configurations of QoS.  My current configuration is ABB set to High Priority at 70% up and down.  I have also tried Always with no effect.  All Dumaos classified games is enabled. 

I have a 100/40 NBN HFC connection (PPPoE), which was fine on my old router and did not suffer from this problem. Since buying the XR700, it started intermittantly but has been getting steadily worse to the point that I can't play Destiny 2 PVP unless every other device in the house is idle.

Latest firmware is installed.

All devices are downstream of the XR700, less the modem to the ISP.

Please help! I love the features of the XR700 and want to make it work but at the moment its pretty frustrating.

Cheers.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR700 - Continuous Lag whilst online gaming

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. What is the model of the ISP modem? Is it a pure modem or a combo? Are you measuring your ping with the Geo-Filter at all? Have you seen this increase?
Message 2 of 11
Victor_Tango_
Aspirant

Hi Fraser, thanks for replying.

The modem is an Arris CM8200.  It was supplied when I got my NBN connection a few years ago.  I've made no changes to it since I got it, but happy to further investigate that.

As for Ping in Geofencing, I haven't seen this increase.  With Destiny it changes depending on the server location but the ping rates I've seen have been consistent with the host - around 13-18 sec if the host is in my state, 25 or so sec to the next state.  I haven't done a test whilst gaming in PVP and someone else is streaming specifically looking at that to see if it increases under those conditions, but I will give that a go this afternoon.  

Message 3 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you manage to do that test? If so what were your findings?
Message 4 of 11
Victor_Tango_
Aspirant

Hi Fraser,

I managed to conduct a brief test on one PVP game and the ping was fluctuating between 50-110ms for a server about 1500km away. The game felt mildly laggy at that point, but I wasn't getting the really bad 'can't aim' lag at that time.  I'm actually on holidays away from home this week, so I'll do more testing when I get home and let you know how it goes.

Message 5 of 11
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK, thank you for the update.

We look forward to hearing more test results once you're back, have a good holiday!

Message 6 of 11
Victor_Tango_
Aspirant

Hi Fraser,

So I'm back and I have been able to conduct some more tests.  This time I checked the ping to the Destiny authentication server whilst we were downloading a whole lot of apps onto a new Iphone.  During this test, the lag was quite severe in game in a PVE setting, causing my aim to go all over the place with delayed inputs and then massive overcorrection on the screen. 

The phone was downloading between 5 and 20 Mbps for the duration of the test (over 5 minutes).  During this time, the ping to the Destiny authenication server did not change, and was stable around 180ms  (which is the same as every other time I've checked it).I also checked the ping to another player close to me in one of the games communul areas, and it remained steady at around 30ms, which is standard for the distance (800km or so).

Cheers.

Message 7 of 11
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

That's interesting, thanks for the update!

Are you also seeing the same issues in CoD?

Does traffic prioritisation in QoS show that its prioritising anything while the iPhone was downloading stuff?

Message 8 of 11
Victor_Tango_
Aspirant

Hi Fraser,

Tested it again today with COD:MW.  Same issue with the lag, but no change in the ping results to the server.  I had an Ipad going with Youtube and was gettting moderate lag that was affecting my aim.  I stressed the system further with more Youtube from a PC and the lag got worse, although it didn't quite have as much of an effect as in Destiny.  (As an aside, the problem seems the most severe when my kids are using Iphones, either with Youtube or Roblox, but it has also been bad when streaming on other devices as well at times - the Apple devcies are the most prevalent, and seem to cause the most issues - could be an issue with Apple, or just because those devices are used the most in the house).

Also yes, in the QoS section, the high priority traffic detected light was on, and the packets for high priority traffic was increasing whilst gaming on COD and Destiny, simultaneous with my daughter watching Youtube on the Ipad.  So both priority and background packets were being delivered at the same time, in both upload and download.

Message 9 of 11
Victor_Tango_
Aspirant

Also, forgot to mention that I'm gaming on a PS5 now, but was also having the same issue on PS4 before I made the change. The lag issue presents in the same fashion on both devices.  

Message 10 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for all the information. We've just recently released the XR700 beta, could you upgrade to this, do a factory reset and then see if you encounter the same issues please?
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/XR700-DumaOS-3-0-Beta-Firmware/td-p...
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7