× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR700 DCHP Lease Renewals

UK_Wildcats
Apprentice

XR700 DCHP Lease Renewals

I have been struggling with the irregular DHCP lease renewals which occur randomly between 30 minutes to 6 hours each day and causes temporary internet drops.  This happens whether it is wired or wireless  I have smart connect disabled, set IP range of 100-225 and setup reserved IPs for all the main devices on the network.  I have the lease renewal set to 24 hours.  I am on the latest .24 firmware.  Factory resets do not help.  I have worked with the ISP and monitored my line over several days.  The ISP has upgraded my services and updated their equipment at the node and outside my home in order to help reduce potential issues.  The ISP even did a full monitor for a day to ensure that line was not getting a weird interruption.  I have even used pingplotter to validate the connection during the day.  At this point, I have narrowed down that the triggers for the dhcp lease renewals are exclusively coming from within the XR700 router.

I work from home and travel for my more critical meetings with the CEO and senior leadership teams.  I have been able to minimize the effect of the renewals by rebooting (as possible) before calls, using cellular phone connections for audio teleconference or meet in person; therefore, I have been able to live with it.  

With COVID-19 the full leadership teams are working from home, and I am constantly on teleconferences for 6 to 12 hours a day.   Wtih the company moving towards Microsoft Teams, I am being forced to use VOIP.  Because of this, the connection drops due to DHCP lease renewals.  I am now having to use a different router during work.

There are countless topics about DHCP issues on Netgear products (esp. XR500).  At this point, I want to know what Netgear is doing to resolve the DHCP lease renewals.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR700 DCHP Lease Renewals

Hey Wildcats, you've literally tried every known workaround for the issue so I can't suggest anything else. We are working with Netgear to resolve the issue. We'll be having an announcement about the beta soon so I hope that this is something that will be fixed for that (hard to tell without loads of customers testing).
Message 2 of 5
UK_Wildcats
Apprentice

With spring break over, the schools are ramping up the Zoom meetings.  The kids have multiple meetings each day along with my WebEx conferences, and the DHCP issues are having larger impacts now.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd get a RMA started or return the XR for a XR500 or 450...

Message 4 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I couldn't say when the next firmware may come so would either suggest switching to AP mode for the moment or getting a replacement.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7