× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 DHCP, No Internet, Dropping Connection, Bad Coverage

ShooterStein
Aspirant

XR700 DHCP, No Internet, Dropping Connection, Bad Coverage

I can't tell you how disappointed I am with the XR700.  I am not an IT perfessional but this isn't my first rodeo.  I have had issues getting DHCP to work correctly.  It starts off ok and any little change, even an SSID, and the next time I connect it tells me it's secure and no internet.  I can plug in a static IP but if I wanted that I would have payed $100.  I tried several factory resets, different firmware revision, nothing works as expected.  My current installed firmware is the latest, 1.0.1.20.  I was excited about the DUMAOS, doesn't work worth a **bleep**.  The network map is useless, things keep poping on and offline incorrectly.  Yes, I know it has a 30 sec refresh or so I hear.  I had to disable smartconnect, to prevent connections from hunting between band and dropping connections.  When it sort of works, the coverage isn't even as good as my R7000.  Yes, the R7000 I wanted to replace does all of these things and gives me a table of actual devices that are on my network.  So, the $400 question is, "Does anyone know if this is a fluke or just a piece of crap?"  I've had 4 or 5 Netgear routers and only upgraded for new features or performance.  This community is my last chance before Amazon is getting a return and I go with ROG.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? IF so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 11

@ShooterStein wrote:

I can't tell you how disappointed I am with the XR700.  I am not an IT perfessional but this isn't my first rodeo.  I have had issues getting DHCP to work correctly.  It starts off ok and any little change, even an SSID, and the next time I connect it tells me it's secure and no internet.  I can plug in a static IP but if I wanted that I would have payed $100.  I tried several factory resets, different firmware revision, nothing works as expected.  My current installed firmware is the latest, 1.0.1.20.  I was excited about the DUMAOS, doesn't work worth a **bleep**.  The network map is useless, things keep poping on and offline incorrectly.  Yes, I know it has a 30 sec refresh or so I hear.  I had to disable smartconnect, to prevent connections from hunting between band and dropping connections.  When it sort of works, the coverage isn't even as good as my R7000.  Yes, the R7000 I wanted to replace does all of these things and gives me a table of actual devices that are on my network.  So, the $400 question is, "Does anyone know if this is a fluke or just a piece of crap?"  I've had 4 or 5 Netgear routers and only upgraded for new features or performance.  This community is my last chance before Amazon is getting a return and I go with ROG.

I hate to say it but I think you know the answer to your question.  You have purchased a piece of crap.  I know as I purchased the same router exactly 1 year and 1 month ago.  I also purchaed the xr500 before that.  I've been fooled twice now for a total of $700.  I to have have an older r7000 with DD-WRT on it.   I've had to fire it back up becuase the XR700 is having serious issues with DHCP.

I intitally hated the router becuase the VPN features are so unreliabble but now I'm really ticked off.  I wanted to have the best so I spent the moeny.  I'm so foolish.

For the record, I am an IT professional with 20+ years experience.  5 of those years was working for a company that did nothing but build, sell and support internet equipment.  To all the helpful people on this forum, no need to ask me to try everything.  I assure you, I've been dealing with this for over a week and I have tried it all.  But thanks anyways, there are a lot of helpful people on this site.  At least Netgear has that going for them.

The DHCP issue just showed up for seemingly no reason.  The 1.0.1.20 was released a few days later.  This made me think that maybe Netgear/Dumaos knew about the problem and 1.0.1.20 was the fix.  Nope, it did nothing for me.  I'm not going to get into how terribble the Dumaos is.  It's super cool looking with all the colors and graphs and lights.  But that's where it stops. Everything else about the router is subpar.  If you bring up an issue with Dumaos, the answer the question with "Why do you want to do that with your router?" Are you kidding me?  It's a $500 router.  It should do $500 router things!

They just dropped the price to $350.  You know what that means?  A new router is about to be released.  XR1000 or something.  Don't be fooled, it's going to be just as terrible as the XR500 and the XR700.

I'm going to call Amazon and beg them to take this piece of junk back.  If not, I will beg someone on eBay to buy it.

Please don't waste anymore of your time.  You will regret it.  I'm 100% sure of that.  Good Luck! 😃
Message 3 of 11

Check out this pic.  This should have tipped us both off.  Never Again!

xr700-2019-12-08_18-51-07.jpg

Message 4 of 11
ShooterStein
Aspirant

I appreciate the feedback.  I didn't mention it beacuse I was interested in the response I would get but I'm a veteran electrical controls engineer.  There is no doubt that there is a firmware issue with this router.  Conceptually, it's got some perks but if you can't make it preform basic router functions what good are the fancy colored DumaOS screens worth.  I don't even trust what they show me.  The coverage issue was only an exclaimation point on the performance.  I would have let that slide if 90% of the other things works.  As far as the NAT response, it's not that.  I hope Netgear understands that for a premium price the customers are expecting a premium product.  For me, after 20 years of Netgear, I'm looking elsewhere. 

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe next time give feed back to the question presented as well. Can't help you out if you don't help us. 

FYI, the picture in the post with the GREEN check marks? Means those problems were solved. 

Good Luck. 

@ShooterStein wrote:

I appreciate the feedback.  I didn't mention it beacuse I was interested in the response I would get but I'm a veteran electrical controls engineer.  There is no doubt that there is a firmware issue with this router.  Conceptually, it's got some perks but if you can't make it preform basic router functions what good are the fancy colored DumaOS screens worth.  I don't even trust what they show me.  The coverage issue was only an exclaimation point on the performance.  I would have let that slide if 90% of the other things works.  As far as the NAT response, it's not that.  I hope Netgear understands that for a premium price the customers are expecting a premium product.  For me, after 20 years of Netgear, I'm looking elsewhere. 

Message 6 of 11

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Maybe next time give feed back to the question presented as well. Can't help you out if you don't help us. 

FYI, the picture in the post with the GREEN check marks? Means those problems were solved. 

@FURRYe38 - I hope you don’t take this wrong.  I see how much you post on the site and how many people you’ve helped.  I’m sure you’ve helped so many with their issues and we are all thankful for that.  Serioussly...

I can only speak to the XR500 and XR700 routers.  The ones I paid a collective $900+ for after taxes.  They are a mess.  My frustrations may be getting the best of me but I’m not an idiot.  If you read the posts, there’s often no solution to these issues. (examples below)  Are you implying that the XR700 is not an Epic Fail?  When someone gives up and buys a new router because they are so fed up with their Netgear… that is not a solution.  Maybe mark them as “no solution found” or something a little more honest. 

I need to get my XR700 stable so I can sell it.  If I ever have time to install a bunch a different firmwares and factory reset it 5 times, I would love to get some of your expert advice.  

Green Check Mark #1 -  Xr700 disconnects

After 5 days of troubleshooting the XR700 owner with the problem gave up and decided his results were good enough.  He was still having issues.  I think calling this a solution is a flat out lie.

Green Check Mark #2 - Xr700 connection drop off / disconnects

Accepted Solution: “Hello Vazuh - I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox. “

This is not a “solution”.  Read through the comments.  The customer had to rig his set up, downgrade his firmware and still was having issues.

Green Check Mark #3 - XR500 Randomly Drops Internet

The person with the problem never says there’s a solution.  The solution is more questions?
Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Only here to try and help figure out users problems. 

If users don't give feedback to questions presented, makes it kind of hard for us to troubleshoot and give suggestions that may help. Not much else we can do here in the forums. 

I ran the XR700 for a short period of time. I didn't keep it as it was something that I needed as my XR450 was working great and just as good as the 700 did. I didn't see any of these disconnections or bad coverage is some of you seem to be having problems with. 

Also there is the beta forum for these routers as well. User can apply for beta access and may gain more information and experiences with the beta side if they choose to do so. Don't have to of course. 

Overall, if users are not getting good experiences from there routers, users need to contact NG support and let them know and or return the routers to place of purchase. 

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Really sorry to hear you're having this issue. Could you tell us a little more about your physical setup? Modem model > XR > all devices etc? The disconnections you're experiencing is it all from wireless devices or a combination with wired as well?
Message 9 of 11
lkirkland88
Guide

I am having the same issues. IT Professional in Networking for over 10 years. Cant get the DHCP server to work at all. 
If the R-apps stop working then the 5ghz seems to work better....but when i reboot only about 10 devices get an IP address the rest do not. 

Message 10 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've posted a reply in your other topic.
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7