× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 DMZ not working

rickywck
Aspirant

XR700 DMZ not working

Anyone encountered similar issue? I have performed extensive testing - port forwarding does work but not DMZ. There is no error when I tried to configure a host to be in DMZ, but that host will still not be accessible over the Internet.

Any idea?

On the other hand, R7000 works fine.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How are you testing that this isn't working? How is your XR connected to the ISP hub - modem, bridge or using the DMZ? For the DMZ are you using the IP shown in the Device Manager?
Message 2 of 11
rickywck
Aspirant

I started testing with a VoIP application and it just not working at all with DMZ on. I then tested with a Web Server running in the same box, and again there was no response from the public IP. I changed to use port forwarding over port 80 and it worked. I performed basically the same setup in R7000 and I can access the Web server using public IP with DMZ on. The IP address was from the device manager on console and system information on the host, and they are just the same.

Actually even DMZ seems to work on R7000, some media traffic over UDP seems to drop so it also can fully handle my needs.

FYI my ISP didn’t block any traffic and now I switched one connection directly to the network adapter of my host with VoIP application and everything works fine.
Message 3 of 11
rickywck
Aspirant

Typo above. Even DMZ works on R7000 some UDP traffic seems to be dropped so it still can’t handle all my needs. However DMZ on XR700 just got no response.

FYI I have already disable SIP ALG, DDoS scan, set NAT filter to open ... but media traffic over UDP still can’t work properly on R7000.
Message 4 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How is the XR connected to your ISP hub? What does your physical setup look like?
Message 5 of 11
rickywck
Aspirant

I have an optical fibre from my ISP at home and it connects to a Huawei HG8040, and I connected HG8040 with my routers using its Ethernet ports. My ISP provides two public IP to me so that I can have two routers connected. The way I connected two routers are exactly the same.

Now I unplugged the Ethernet cable from XR700 and connected to my host, everything works fine. Please note that I am sure I can public IPs from HG8040 and Indeed I put those IP in my Twilio configurations.

Please note that IP forwarding works on XR700, just not DMZ. However I have issues for passing through some media traffic on both routers with any setup.

Actually I Google and found some article about UDP drop out from a VoIP provider on Netgear routers (but I am not using their service, but should be similar since all I need is to pass through SIP and RTP).
Message 6 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When you have the DMZ enabled do you have any other port settings enabled at the same time? If you disable QoS from the Anti-Bufferbloat menu when using DMZ does it work?
Message 7 of 11
rickywck
Aspirant

I have disable QoS, as well as almost any other services I can dsable, including remote management, ReadyXXX, etc. The only thing I left out is Plex - I forgot to try this one.

However, when I said DMZ didn't work, I was referring to even the most simple test of accessing an Apache server (and it worked with port forwarding). 

Will give a try to disable Plex as well.

Message 8 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We have identified some issues with VOIP in the past so that is something we are looking into, I haven't discovered any issues with the DMZ so far. Perhaps it's to do with your unique setup, if you use the router with the other connection do you encounter the same issue?
Message 9 of 11
rickywck
Aspirant

As I said, DMZ didn't work even for http traffic over port 80, but again, it worked with port forwarding. 

Message 10 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the information, I will pass this on to Netgear to have a look at.
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7