× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 - Factory resets itself after reboot

Tierno
Guide

XR700 - Factory resets itself after reboot

Does the XR700 have a self-destruction mode? I'm serious, this thing has been nothing but issues.  If anyone can help I would greatly appreciated. 

Issues so far in order of appearance: (i updated the firmware as they would come out - I believe I received it with V1.0.1.2)

List of issues: 

1) Devices would disconnect and reconnect (1st month of use)

2) The router would reboot itself constantly (at least twice a day) (second month of use)

3) Updated to the latest firmware = 70% of my devices can't connect to it (Amazon EchoDot, etc) (third month of use)

and now, the worst one of all:

4) a simple reboot resets to factory default settings! No matter what firmware I use.

Does anyone have any idea on how to solve this before I trash it? 

ps - I've done all the obvious and million factory resets and firmware upgrades and downgrades. Currently back to V1.0.1.2. - issues number 1, 2 and 4 still present. 

THANK YOU!

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Lets do this first to see if new FW will correct this\:.

Factory reset the XR router. 

Connect a wired PC to the XR router. 

After skipping the setup wizard and setup new PW, log in and send the following update to the XR router:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/New-XR700-v1-0-1-10-Firmware-Available...

After the FW file is sent, do one more factory reset and setup from scratch. 

Report your findings. 

@Tierno wrote:

Does the XR700 have a self-destruction mode? I'm serious, this thing has been nothing but issues.  If anyone can help I would greatly appreciated. 

Issues so far in order of appearance: (i updated the firmware as they would come out - I believe I received it with V1.0.1.2)

List of issues: 

2) The router would reboot itself constantly (at least twice a day) (second month of use)

3) Updated to the latest firmware = 70% of my devices can't connect to it (Amazon EchoDot, etc) (third month of use)

4) a simple reboot resets to factory default settings! No matter what firmware I use.

ps - I've done all the obvious and million factory resets and firmware upgrades and downgrades. Currently back to V1.0.1.2. - issues number 1, 2 and 4 still present. 

THANK YOU!

Message 2 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If the firmware above doesn't work for you I would suggest going to 1.0.1.8.

Make sure you have the router plugged directly into a wall outlet rather than an extender as that could be causing reboots etc if it's not getting the correct power.
Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if upgrading to v10 works better for you. 

@Tierno wrote:

List of issues: 

THANK YOU!

Message 4 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@Tierno wrote:

Almost familiar to R9000 owners (very simiar platform) - some seem to be affected by this since the 1.0.4.28 update - but by far not all. @Altsai .. so not only the R9000, also the XR700 and since some days also the R7800 and XR500 are affected. 

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I haven't see this with my R7800 or XR450...as of yet. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 16
Tierno
Guide

Hi Furry, 

Thank you so much for your help and apologies for replying so late. I did what you recommended and it worked. The router is stable now and its been stable for about a week. The only thing still not sure about is that it disconnects certain devices after a while. A simple reboot fixes the issue but intrigue of what could this be. Honestly, im just happy i can reboot and it doesnt defaults anymore. But still curious if it will keep disconecting more devices in the near future. 

I truly appreciate your help. Thanks!

Message 7 of 16
Tierno
Guide

Thanks, Fraser. FW 1.0.1.10 seems to be working now. Its a bit sluggish to navigate but thats no biggy. Thanks again!

Message 8 of 16
Tierno
Guide

Hmmm.. interesting! Thanks for sharing Schumaku.

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the suggestion worked. Please mark your post as solved so others will know for future reference.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Tierno wrote:

Hi Furry, 

Thank you so much for your help and apologies for replying so late. I did what you recommended and it worked. The router is stable now and its been stable for about a week. The only thing still not sure about is that it disconnects certain devices after a while. A simple reboot fixes the issue but intrigue of what could this be. Honestly, im just happy i can reboot and it doesnt defaults anymore. But still curious if it will keep disconecting more devices in the near future. 

I truly appreciate your help. Thanks!

Message 10 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How often do the disconnections occur?
Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Is Beamforming and MIMO and WMM enabled?

Message 12 of 16
Tierno
Guide

So far it has happened once after about a week without rebooting. 

Message 13 of 16
Tierno
Guide

Its on auto, ill try to change to manual channels. Yes, apartment building with several wifi neighbors. But this wouldnt happen with my previous router. Yes, on  Beamforming and MIMO. 

Should i disable 60hz? i dont have any 60hz compatible devices.

Thanks!

Message 14 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that could be due to DHCP renewing if so that's normal. Yeah you can turn that off.
Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You can also set the power output level from 100% to 75 or 50 since you have nieghbors near by. This might help. You maybe in a wifi congested area if you live in a apt building. 

@Tierno wrote:

Its on auto, ill try to change to manual channels. Yes, apartment building with several wifi neighbors. But this wouldnt happen with my previous router. Yes, on  Beamforming and MIMO. 

Should i disable 60hz? i dont have any 60hz compatible devices.

Thanks!

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7