× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR700 Geo-FIlter for PC not working

Haveck
Guide

XR700 Geo-FIlter for PC not working

So is it me or does Geo-Filter for PC gamers not work.  I'ved tried a few games like Overwatch and Killing Floor 2 (Browse Servers) and will get a blimp for a second then everything disappears.  Is there something I need to allow on my internal Windows firewall for this stuff to get picked up?  whats the deal.

Also very limited support for games in general like Apex Legends, Warframe, HoTS, Monster Hunter World, etc. 

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Haveck
Guide

Re: XR700 Geo-FIlter for PC not working

Yes, switching my PC to Playstation seemed to perform better.  Yeah I am guessing since there are dedicated servers it will only give me that info and not other players connected to it.  Same as Peer-to-Peer will give me the player information for games like Vermintide 2 (untested).

Also noticing that when swapped to Playstation it appears to monitor everything, which is kinda cool i suppose.  Shows me Discord location, etc.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you're using a server browser for a PC game then you don't need to use the Geo-Filter as well as you can just select the closest/lowest ping server, so disable it otherwise it might block them.

Apex Legends is a source engine game so you would select that. We need to update support for more PC games. You can change your PC to a console in device manager and re-add it to the Geo-Filter, that will work.

Message 2 of 8
Haveck
Guide

I only used Server Browser for KF2, and even with that it only shows people/servers for a second.  Overwatch is complete Matchmaking and only showed server info when I first launched the game.

So what your saying is that it doesn't support PC detection therefore I have to change it to PS4 in order to trick it?

Message 3 of 8
Haveck
Guide

Changed it to Xbox.  Found some info before even clicking play...not sure why its doing that.  Once I join a match all information disappears.

Message 4 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Overwatch should work just fine, PC does work for some games but an easy way for users to have that functionality for other games is to switch it to a console.

It'll be showing information from the game client e.g. Steam, Origin, Battle.net. Are you fully zoomed out on the map?
Message 5 of 8
Haveck
Guide

Anything on PC seems intermittent.  Overwatch would work briefly and all icons on the global map would disappear, same tend to happen when I switched to Xbox.

I switched to PlayStation and information tends to stay, however doesn't give player information as I thought, only gives server connected to in the form of a player icon for Overwatch and Apex.

Yes, map fully zoomed out during all these trials.

Message 6 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So it does show an icon to indicate the server when in game then? Most games that connect to a dedicated server will only show the server on the map as you don't have direct connections to players so can't be shown.
Message 7 of 8
Haveck
Guide

Yes, switching my PC to Playstation seemed to perform better.  Yeah I am guessing since there are dedicated servers it will only give me that info and not other players connected to it.  Same as Peer-to-Peer will give me the player information for games like Vermintide 2 (untested).

Also noticing that when swapped to Playstation it appears to monitor everything, which is kinda cool i suppose.  Shows me Discord location, etc.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7