× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 Keeps Kicking Offline

IJayJayI
Apprentice

XR700 Keeps Kicking Offline

I have the XR700 Router with the CM1000 Cable Modem.
Every time i try and play on Xbox live even just sitting in a party chat i keep getting kicked offline every few minutes. I have tried to factory reset the router, I have manually upgraded the firmware, downgraded the firmware, and factory reset again to the latest firmware. I do not get kicked offline from anything else. I have set a static IP for the xbox as well. I have also been reading a lot of people having issues with this router when playing on PSN and XBOX. The primary reason why i purchesed this $500 router was to use DumasOS. 

I have used different cables from Cat5e to Cat7, with different ports as well.  

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 50
Rick6922
Luminary

I have the same modem and had the same problem.   I went to WAN setup and added xboxs ip , then checked only the 2nd and 4th box. then went to advanced settings to UPnP and disabled it. added the xboxs static ip in LAN setup and it hasnt happened again on the new FW. oh yeah, I also port fowarded the ports used for cod bo4 on router[3074-3075] 

Message 2 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

yeah i have all ports forwarded as well. And i think i figured out the issue for me. Had to disable IPv6. For some reason the router cannot handle IPv6 for consoles it seems.

Message 3 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW are you using? 

Other users have expressed that downgrading to v20 seems to help with there disconnects...I would give this a try. Factory reset after applying the FW file and setup from scratch. I would reboot the modem as well during this process. 

@IJayJayI wrote:

I have the XR700 Router with the CM1000 Cable Modem.
Every time i try and play on Xbox live even just sitting in a party chat i keep getting kicked offline every few minutes. I have tried to factory reset the router, I have manually upgraded the firmware, downgraded the firmware, and factory reset again to the latest firmware. I do not get kicked offline from anything else. I have set a static IP for the xbox as well. I have also been reading a lot of people having issues with this router when playing on PSN and XBOX. The primary reason why i purchesed this $500 router was to use DumasOS. 

I have used different cables from Cat5e to Cat7, with different ports as well.  

Message 4 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

Yeah, I always reboot everything in this process. I have downgraded to all the FWs there are only 3 firmwares for this device and went through all three. I haven't been kicked all last night and and believe the problem to be the IPv6. I had IPv6 enabled and once disabled it has not kicked me. There seems to be some type of conflict with IPv6 and consoles with this particular router, I'm not sure why but that was the issue for me.
Message 5 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have native IPv6 from your ISP, if you don't i can be disabled. 

If you do, and you thing that is a problem in the FW, I would file a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Message 6 of 50
Rick6922
Luminary

you really need ivp6 if you can, try what I did first [ a couple replys back]  and see if that works so you can have ping ass.

Message 7 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

Yes I have Native IPv6 with Xfinity.
Message 8 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

Yeah, I will try yours because I want to keep IPv6 it's much better and I've notice an increase in ping without IPv6.
Message 9 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I would submit a ticket on this for NG to review with you. 

@IJayJayI wrote:
Yes I have Native IPv6 with Xfinity.

Message 10 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

I have tried to forward all ports, and enabling IPv6 while disabling UPnP and still getting kicked. Still trying several things -- since I know IPv6 is very important and want to use it. --going to make a ticket with NG if we cannot figure it out. I want everyone to be able to know how to fix this issue.
Message 11 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

So far I set IPv6 as Enabled with internet Passthrough. It's working at the moment but will update yall as I figure this out, unless anyone else has a solution.
Message 12 of 50
Shikwan68
Star

Just to inform everyone; I've read somewhere that the XR500 & XR700 are kicking Xbox users offline. Netgear & MS are working on a fix but the current solution is to TURN OFF 'Instant On' in the Xbox Settings.

Message 13 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply, My Xbox is and has always had Instan On turned off. The router has and issue with MS IPv6, somehow it is incompatible in some form or another. The IPv6 keeps getting disconnected, and i do not know if it is Netgear's end, Microsoft's end, or both.

Message 14 of 50
Shikwan68
Star

Curious; is this problem completely non-existent with IPv6 disabled? Or is it less frequent?

Message 15 of 50
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

I'm not sure if it's related, but it might be of course. Simplest way of finding out is to disable IPv6 and leave instant mode on. Then see if you get any more drop outs.

Message 16 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

So far I've been running IPv6 Passthrough and it's been working but I get terrible lag. Intermittent freezes whole playing all games. Where it seems I walk several steps forward and end up back where I was. I'm going to disable it and see if I still get the problem. IPv6 is a necessary component to Xbox to make things run smoothly and better. I'll let y'all know.
Message 17 of 50
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I wouldn't say IPv6 is necessary for a smooth connection on Xbox, there would be a negligible affect. Are you using QoS or the Geo-Filter at all?
Message 18 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

I have QoS turned off and have geofilter on. I have been messing with both, turning them both on and off to see if it makes a difference. I don't need QoS but want to use the GeoFilter (which is why I bought it) QoS is pointless for me since my PC and Xbox are the only two connected, but phone for wifi.
Message 19 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, IPv6 is not required for xbox or game play on xbox one. It's is a nice feature to have if your ISP natively supports it and the router is configured correctly to take advanage of it. You don't have to have it for xbox gaming. My ISP doesn't support it as of yet so I always keep it disabled. One day I we might see it. Smiley Frustrated

Message 20 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

Yes that is true, IPv6 is not a requirement but it's suppose to run better since it is highly recommend even by Microsoft. I feel like I lag more on IPv4 than IPv6 (except now, with this whole issue) trying to do much more testing to make it to where I can play smoothly with IPv6. It's native to my ISP so I'd like to utilize it.
Message 21 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

I'd like to thank everyone for everyone's support in keeping this thread open and active until we get to the bottom of this. I've seen this is also an issue with PS4 not just Xbox. We will get a solution!
Message 22 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do this, connect the xbox one directly to the ISP modem with out the router being online. The CM modem should auto pass thru any IPv6 to the xbox. You'll need to ensure the xbox is connected and configured correctly. It should seen IPv6. 

Play some games. Do you see same problems with this configuration as well? If not, then there maybe an issue between the CM modem and the router/FW when using IPv6. 

@IJayJayI wrote:
Yes that is true, IPv6 is not a requirement but it's suppose to run better since it is highly recommend even by Microsoft. I feel like I lag more on IPv4 than IPv6 (except now, with this whole issue) trying to do much more testing to make it to where I can play smoothly with IPv6. It's native to my ISP so I'd like to utilize it.

Message 23 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

I'll certainly try that out. Thanks
Message 24 of 50
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would not say that QoS is unneeded for you. Those other devices when you're gaming could suddenly start downloading and that would affect you. I would highly recommend using it.
Message 25 of 50
Discussion stats
  • 49 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7