× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 Keeps Kicking Offline

Rick6922
Luminary

no you dont have to have ipv6 enabled to have a smooth gaming experence.. I have Xbox1 . go to there web site and you can see a list of reasons to have that enabled , according to xbox live if you want the BEST gaming experience , enable it lol

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 26 of 50
Rick6922
Luminary

a lot of us with the xr700   went through the same thing, if your running the new fw get a 10gtek plug or roll fw back to ...20 version. the new fw isnt stable.  in my case netgear gave me a newer beta fw and that didnt work. I just bought the 10gtek and no problems. 

Message 27 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

Was debating on the 10gtex, but shouldn't that not be the problem, it's just another port.
Message 28 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

Okay, so it's definitely the router. I'm going to submit a ticket. I am connected directly into my modem, I have IPv6 and absolutely no lag what so ever. I haven't been kicked. I haven't been disconnected or anything. I hardwired direct to modem for Xbox, for PC etc. With absolutely NO issues.

I spent $500 plus tax on this router. Netgear needs to fix this. Even on IPv4 I get serious lag spikes.
Message 29 of 50
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Jay, when connected to the modem no other devices can be connected to affect the connection. As I said previously I would highly suggest you use QoS as those issues you described are consistent with local congestion.
Message 30 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

Again, I have tried it with QoS on and off. Same issues, didn't make any difference at all. I have been doing so much testing over the past week. With various configurations. QoS turned on and off and adjusted, the anti buffer adjusted to various settings, prioritizations, GeoFilter on and off and adjusted to many different settings, IPv6 and the variety of settings including disabled. I have done so many combinations even with nothing else connected to the router.

I have had one single devices and different devices connected to the router to test each device with all these variations. Same issue persists.
Message 31 of 50
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you used our optimal settings guides: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646 and used this guide to fine tune Anti-Bufferbloat to your specific connection: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-test-your-connection
Message 32 of 50
Rick6922
Luminary

im just saying me and a least 3 other users had the same problem and a user said it would fix the problem and it did. lol   I bought it 2 weeks ago and newest FW runs perfect now. 

Message 33 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

I'll purchase it and see if it helps any. I'd really like to utilize the newest firmware on IPv6. I like the hybrid VPN and the Ping Assist. Cannot use it until it's fixed. Hopefully that gtek will work.
Message 34 of 50
Rick6922
Luminary

yeah it sucks,  but if you go back on posts you will see a link to the one for netgear on amazon.the post  might be from pastor john

Message 35 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

Did you connect the Gtek to the modem or directly to the xbox? I just purchased the Gtek and wondering how youve got yours setup, becasue im wanting to upgrade the firmware.

@Rick6922 wrote:

a lot of us with the xr700   went through the same thing, if your running the new fw get a 10gtek plug or roll fw back to ...20 version. the new fw isnt stable.  in my case netgear gave me a newer beta fw and that didnt work. I just bought the 10gtek and no problems. 

Message 36 of 50
Shikwan68
Star

Well, I have to say after some time, I got the new firmware to work (xbox included) and have been running it for over a week straight now.  The only issues I'm having is the QoS doesn't seem to be working - I'm getting more bandwidth than assigned on all devices with IPv6 on and off.

I believe the reboot issues may be some setting that isn't/wasn't configured properly so I recommend a reset AFTER upgrading to the new firmware. IF you already have the new firmware; 1. downgrade to the old one 2. RESET 3. upgrade to the latest fw.  DO NOT RESTORE any backup settings (it may have a misconfiguration that you may have overlooked). Reconfigure the entire router from scratch (with scrutinizing detail).

In my case; I found a Static Route was setup incorrectly, the NTP server was set to Netgear (default) but my other devices (ProSwitch GS110TP) weren't and IPv6 was misconfigured on the LAN.  My router doesn't randomly disconnect anymore and my Xbox is fine too (even with it set to Instant On). Oh and I'm NOT connected to the 10g. 

One thing to note; this router is VERY slow to have all services functioning after a reboot via hardware (pull plug) or sorftware (clicking reboot in admin settings).  I timed it to 3 minutes so have patience because some of your settings may not function until it is fully back up.

And lastly; if you are using LAG (to a switch in my case); you must disconnect one ethernet cable PRIOR to rebooting system and keep it disconnected until after the system is fully back up. It will hang otherwise.

Hope this helps!

Message 37 of 50
Rick6922
Luminary

your modem plugs into that.

Message 38 of 50
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear you've resolved that issue Shikwan. Regarding to QoS are you referring to devices getting more bandwidth than shown in Bandwidth Allocation? If so that's because share excess is enabled so if a device doesn't need as much bandwidth it gives it to another device that does. If you want it to restrict to what's been given then disable share excess.
Message 39 of 50
Shikwan68
Star

Thank you! However, I have a Gigabit connection and my (wired) xbox was getting 230-500Mbps when I set it in QoS for 130Mbps.

SIDE NOTE: I have about 18+ devices (TVs, cellphones, smartwatches, etc) so I set my Wired & Wireless Xboxes to use 20% each of the anti-bufferbloat bandwidth (knowing that all these dedvices will never ALL be online at the same time but configuring the router as if they would).

BUT I believe this is resolved as well.  I followed the speedguide for the XR700; 

1. Turned off QoS (leaving the antibuffer bloat settings as they were)

2. Ran Speed Test on Xbox - same results

3. Turned off IPv6

4. Ran Speed Test on Xbox - lower download speeds (from 500Mbps to 80-130Mbps)

5. Turned on QoS (unticked box)

6. Ran Speed Test on Xbox (130Mbps-20%)

7. Turned back on IPv6 - lost connection to Internet and login access (tho all lights were on)

8. Pulled power cord for 30 sec -plugged back in

9. Verified QoS & IPv6 settings

10. Ran speed test on Xbox - Works Great!! Both Wired and Wireless Xboxes are in the 20% range of speed test.

Message 40 of 50
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Fantastic to hear that! Thanks for coming back with the solution!
Message 41 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

I'll be updating my firmware with the Gtek soon, to see if I still keep getting kicked offline from Xbox like before. The issue is far from solved. I do not want to have to disable IPv6 and do not want to have to reboot the router on a daily basis. I want to be able to utilize the new firmwares perks. Haven't been able to because only the very first firmware has been working. I will give everyone an update on this once I do more testing. 🙂 (Original post issue is still the same and unsolved)
Message 42 of 50
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hopefully a new firmware will be released soon for everyone to try!
Message 43 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

I really really hope so!
Message 44 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

Update Possible Solution!
So far Rick6922 has come with the only solution. Unfortunetlly Netgear themselves do not have a solution and the router is overall broken with the any of the newer firmware updates. Only the original firmware works unless they come out with an update.

So far the only solution is to use the SPF+ slot by purchasing the 10Gtek to convert the slot into an ethernet port. 

With this you can have do anything you want in the router with no problems. I've been using it for a week now and so far no issues. 
Unfortnetlly it's $100 extra for the part, where honestly netgear needs to fix because a $500 router should work perfectly out of the box with all updates. I understand some of the firmwares could have glitches but it's astonishing that all the firmwares updates have simply made the router worse.

Here is the amazon link of the adapter i purchased. I will update yall if anything changes or it stops working etc. This is, so far, the only semi solution if you want to use the latest firmware. (Your Internet Modem plugs into this and you need to reset router, update router's firmware, then setup router with the 10G port)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KFBFL16/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Message 45 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 46 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

Update:

So far the newest firmware+GTek10G worked well at first.
It works well with the IPv6 now with Xbox. Now having another major issue with the new firmware.

I have to constantly restart the router daily. It keeps loosing internet connection until I restart it. It's quite frustrating. (Can Netgear please fix these issues?, Again a $500 router that doesn't work better than a $80 router)
Message 47 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

I would submit a support ticket to let NG know what your seeing with the new FW. 

Message 48 of 50
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would actually recommend going back to the .8 firmware and see if this issue exists there.
Message 49 of 50
IJayJayI
Apprentice

Thanks I'll give it a try, from the start I always had two issues.
1:) Xbox connection dropping when IPv6 enabled. (GTek10G fixed that.
2:) all firmwares above the first one dropped internet for all devices once a day where I had to reset the router daily.

Original firmware was the only working one with GTek10G.

Now with newest version I only have to restart daily now. I'll test out each firmware for a week to see if it is consistent and will update yall after my trials.
Message 50 of 50
Discussion stats
  • 49 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7