× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 Periodic WAN disconnects (still) on latest v1.0.1.8

Talontedd
Apprentice

XR700 Periodic WAN disconnects (still) on latest v1.0.1.8

Here to report same issue occurring for me with v1.0.1.2 and v1.0.1.8 firmwares.  Both exhibit periodic dropping of WAN side connection, typically every 5-10mins.  No lights change color, from outside view unit is working fine to the eye.  Monitor shows WAN restarting every 5-10mins, drops and restarts in about 3-5 secs.  Symptons are seeing dropped packets, experiencing period of delayed/no response to outbound commands, severe lag or being dropped from games , etc.... as you would expect for this type of operational issue.

v1.0.0.20 does not exhibit same issue.  WAN connections remains solid over weeks + of usage.  Monitor shows no dropping of WAN connection. With issue repeating across multiple newer firmware releases I have now created a ticket with netgear asking help to address my dysfunctional router behavior.   

Would appreciate any confirmed resolution help ... tried everyhting I can think of including erasing settings, fresh downloads, run with settings default, run with minimized fucntionality, etc, etc... even standing on one leg, with hand over one eye, muttering good luck charms as you hit download button did not make any noticeable difference.  (just kidding on this latter part!)

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 90
PastorJohn
Aspirant

I'm also a brand new user experiencing the same BS. I've been reading the forums and trying every single thing and this thing is nothing better than a door stop. Are we supposed to be your beta testers? What a load of crap. Now I realize these comments don't help I'm pretty upset right now. I can't play one single game on my Xbox One X 4 more than 5 minutes with before getting kicked off. I too have tried every single setting that I've read about and nothing works. Can't you guys get off your butts and fix this thing? The good news is for me it's only 3 days old and I'm going to send it back in a couple if this isn't fixed.
Message 2 of 90
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Message 3 of 90
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Totally understand the frustration, Netgear are aware of this. The best thing to do is keep them updated with your tickets so they can escalate it and show the Dev team that multiple people are experiencing it. If you find one firmware hasn't got the issue I would highly recommend staying on that and waiting for a new firmware.

I would suggest meanwhile however, setting a static WAN IP and seeing if that resolves the issue. I thought it may be to do with DHCP but that's LAN and seems to be WAN mostly.
Message 4 of 90
Talontedd
Apprentice

It is connected to Arris SB6183.  There is no issue on cable modem to termination service equipment.

Behavior I experience....

With XR500 multiple firmware version, no issues at all.

With XR700 v1.0.0.20 no isues at all.

With XR700 v1.0.1.2 or .8 repeating periodic WAN disconnects on router

Message 5 of 90
Talontedd
Apprentice

FYI - tried the static IP.  On v 1.0.1.8 WAN connection dropped inside 1 minute.  Did nothing to help.

Message 6 of 90
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Static WAN in Internet Setup opposed to Static IPs for devices?
Message 7 of 90
Talontedd
Apprentice

Static WAN IP...

Internet Status
Connection Type Static
WAN IP xx.xx.xx.xx
Connection Status Connected

See following message in monitor sections....but it was not lost...only this router on latest 2 firmwares shows this issue.

[Internet disconnected] Friday, January 11, 2019 13:57:31

[Internet disconnected] Friday, January 11, 2019 13:56:46

Message 8 of 90
PastorJohn
Aspirant

The Modem I have is the Motorola MB8600. (1000Mbps/40Mbps)

Message 9 of 90
FURRYe38
Guru

You can only set a Static IP address for the WAN if yoru ISP supports that. Most ISPs, at least for home use Dynamic. 

@Talontedd wrote:

Static WAN IP...

Internet Status
Connection Type Static
WAN IP xx.xx.xx.xx
Connection Status Connected

See following message in monitor sections....but it was not lost...only this router on latest 2 firmwares shows this issue.

[Internet disconnected] Friday, January 11, 2019 13:57:31

[Internet disconnected] Friday, January 11, 2019 13:56:46

Message 10 of 90
FURRYe38
Guru

I would fall back to v1.0.0.20 and use that for now. 

I would file a support ticket with NG support here:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Hope NetDuma Moderators can let NG know about this as well. 

Message 11 of 90
Talontedd
Apprentice

Back on v1.0.0.20 and all is stable again.  Functional router and decent online experience.

Message 12 of 90
PastorJohn
Aspirant

I think I may have isolated my problem with all of my disconnects. It has to do with IPv6 being set on auto connect. If I set it to disable(which I assume defaults to IPv4) the router works as intended.

After speaking with Comcast Xfinity they told me that they send out IPv6 automatically, which means the auto-connect would be the correct setting, right? That setting does not work, that is the setting that kicks me off every game within a few minutes.

So I can set IPv6 to disable, which works... But I also found that I can set it on 6to4 tunnel, and that also works.

Does anyone know if 6to4 tunnel actually provides Ipv6 connectivity?

Anyway the developers should look into the auto connect for IPv6 as a possible solution to some of these disconnect problems. Because as stated Comcast Xfinity says that should be the correct setting.

Hope this helps.

Message 13 of 90
Yonijo
Tutor

Hello

Same issue for me ....
I opened a support case and no more answer for the moment (6days)
I really think to change my new XR700 for an Asus or Tp-Link.

Someone of the NETGEAR team can give us an update about this issue?

Thanks
Yoni
Message 14 of 90
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

John that is a really great find, thanks for bringing that to our attention. I will pass that on to a colleague to escalate to Netgear to take a look at.

@yoni have you tried the 1.0.0.20 firmware to see if that fixes your issue or the suggestion just made above?
Message 15 of 90
Talontedd
Apprentice

Thanks for sharing IPv6 suggestion.  Checking (again) my setting I have it set as disabled and am experiencing WAN drops.  Unfortunately for me this is not my solution.

Message 16 of 90
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What about the older firmware?
Message 17 of 90
Talontedd
Apprentice

When you aks about older firmware?  I assume you are asking is IPv6 active or not on older firmware?  I have it disabled and unit works well.  With newer firmwares IPv6 setting = disabled; see repeating WAN disconnects typically in 5-10min range.  IPv6 settings does not appear to change my router operation.

Message 18 of 90
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay so older firmware you don't see the issue. Keep it on that one and hopefully the team will get a fix soon
Message 19 of 90
Talontedd
Apprentice

Received update from NG support - case is to be escalated.  Will share highlights of findings/resolutions as they come. 

Message 20 of 90
fly_p
Tutor

Could you show system log for us?   sometimes we can find what's happen from the log.

Message 21 of 90
Talontedd
Apprentice

fly_p.  It has aleady been looked at using x.1.2. (prior version). Nothing in log is time connected to internet disconnects.  I have also checked the cable modem and there are no log incidents that coincide with the timing of the WAN drops. There appears to be no repeated sequence of events or trigger(s) that precedes the reported WAN drop/reset.  With last two firmware releases something changed in router operation resulting in my adverse operational situation.  Also note my alternate router has no issues either, by the way this is an XR500 which I kept due to v1.0.1.2 issues.

Awaiting NG esclation process to take next step.  On this note I would describe the esclation process as more akin to "slo"scalation.  

Message 22 of 90
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

I think if you can provide the teamviewer for NTGR remote debugging, it would help expedite to address the issue. what do you think? 🙂

I am also interested in your case....

Message 23 of 90

I've been experiencing the same issue since the purchase of my router RX700. I just recently decided to ask for an RMA. I am running into the same issue still... 2min - 25min, it shows in the logs internet connection disconnect and 2 seconds later a reconnect. I have disabled all unneeded features, turned IPv6 on and off, swapped to cat6 from a cat 5e, I've had comcast out and verifying my modem signal and connection (even had them install a brand new line straight to their connection). My new RMA router is still doing it.

What was interesting was that it only did it originally for the first 2 days after a power cycle. Now, it still keeps doing it. I have a Motorola MB8600 and tomorrow I plan on purchasing a new modem to double check that.

I am curious if anyone else is noticing that the LAN port up times are different than the WAN and from the wireless? Wireless stays up, WAN drops and LAN usually goes with it, but LAN can drop on it's own randomly. 

I have not tried the old firmware but I am about to. I've worked with Netgear over several sessions with their escalated support, no help yet.

Message 24 of 90
fly_p
Tutor

You can try disable IPv6 and restart, then check network disconnect issue.  

Win10 usually choose IPv6 internet prior to IPv4.  

Message 25 of 90
Discussion stats
  • 89 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7