× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR700 Periodic WAN disconnects (still) on latest v1.0.1.8

fly_p
Tutor

Re: XR700 Periodic WAN disconnects (still) on latest v1.0.1.8

Sorry, correct it.

You can try disable IPv6 and reboot router, then check network disconnect issue.  

Win10 usually choose IPv6 internet prior to IPv4.  

Message 26 of 90
Talontedd
Apprentice

IPv6 is diasbled. As stated earlier in thread. Issue remains.

Message 27 of 90
FURRYe38
Guru

Some say that down grading to v1.0.0.20 resolves this issue:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR700-disconnects-continuously/m-p/169...

You might try this and see.

@Talontedd wrote:

IPv6 is diasbled. As stated earlier in thread. Issue remains.

Message 28 of 90

I tried IPv6, that didn't work for me. I rolled back to the older firmware and that resolved the issue on the RMA router I received.

Message 29 of 90
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Hope this will help others until NG fixes the latest versions of FW. 

Message 30 of 90
Talontedd
Apprentice

Furrye38.  That is exactly what I am running right now.  Unit functions well with v1.0.0.20.  This is also stated in the orginal post at start of this thread.  No contact from NG at this time.  Customer care response quality and time is a poor experience so far.

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 31 of 90
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

They're still looking into to it as far as I'm aware. It's a community forum so won't often get a response her from Netgear if you haven't already would suggest making a ticket
Message 32 of 90
Talontedd
Apprentice

Netduma-Fraser case was opened.  After 3 days first response was to inform me it was to be escalated and to expect within next 24-48hrs further contact.  So far there has been no subsequent follow-up and let us just say we are beyond the 48hrs.  Opening a case is following the process...but has yet to result in any meaningful support activity.
Message 33 of 90
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Chase them up on it and also if you give us the ID we can chase them as well
Message 34 of 90

Netgear support is working with my at the moment, and I have some testing to do later tonight. Hopefully the fix will work.

Message 35 of 90
Talontedd
Apprentice

ExpLiciTSainT .  I am interested to know what they are having you test!  Maybe send in message if you do not want to post in this thread.  I am more than willing test things and give input to support team.

Message 36 of 90

I had to accept a EULA and I admit I didn't read it very well. I don't think there was an NDA, but it's basically a beta firmware. I just uploaded it and I am testing it now.

Message 37 of 90

The beta firmware failed to work. Rolling back to the .20 version. Seems good so far.

Message 38 of 90
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

Since beta FW does not work for you, my suggestion to you is to file a ticket to support team to check your case (without IPv6 disable), maybe arrange remote debugging or collect more debugging log to figure out what the issue is

Message 39 of 90
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

How many of you guys having WAN disconnects have Xbox attached to your XR700? How many of you have Xbox with Instant On feature turned on. It is possible that this issue is related to Xbox and the Instant On issue we saw previously on Nighawk Pro Gaming routers. If you have Xbox attached to your XR700 are you able to turn off the instant on feature or remove Xbox from equation to test if the issue occurs. If removing the xbox form network or turning off Instant On feature fixes then issue could be related to the Instant on feature causing a crash on XR700 internal switch causign all connections to disconnect every few minutes.    

Message 40 of 90
Talontedd
Apprentice

I have XBOX connected to router, but it is set for energy savings mode.  The WAN disconnects are during usage...not overnight.  Example, connection lost after 5mins, 7mins then 15mins, then 60mins, then 65...etc random periods.  When it drops it restarts in 3-5 secs later.

Message 41 of 90

So far, the problem occurs on previous firmwares, but would go away after a couple of days (or at least be reduced). The latest firmware never got better. Rolling back to the 1.0.0.20 firmware completely solves the issue. I have multiple Xboxs, PS4s, Smart Switches, TVs, Audio visual receivers (AVRs), Smart lights, Cameras, and more. I've worked with Motorola to check the modem, Comcast to check the lines, replaced cables, and now even replaced the router. Only one single thing has improved it, changing the firmware.

Message 42 of 90
FURRYe38
Guru

Others are reporting success with reverting back to v20 FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/does-anyone-no-what-this-means/m-p/169...

Message 43 of 90

I've been in contact with Customer Care and have a ticket open. They have been responding to me daily. I just sent them an update on their beta firmware failing to work and waiting on a reply back. I'll continue working with them until they release a firmware that resolves the issue. I really like their router, so I am hoping they can figure out the problem. At least I can 100% repro this.

Message 44 of 90
FURRYe38
Guru

Good information and good to know NG is involved. 

Keep us posted on how it goes. I'm sure they will get it fixed. 

@ExpLiciTSainT wrote:

I've been in contact with Customer Care and have a ticket open. They have been responding to me daily. I just sent them an update on their beta firmware failing to work and waiting on a reply back. I'll continue working with them until they release a firmware that resolves the issue. I really like their router, so I am hoping they can figure out the problem. At least I can 100% repro this.

Message 45 of 90
Talontedd
Apprentice

Ditto to ExpLiciTSainT  comments on devices attached and repeatability of issue.  Only one change has impact on my connectivity experience.  Adding/stripping devices, IPv6 on/off, console connected/not connected...etc, etc.  None of this changes outcome.... change firmware and it will work or not work subject to version.

Message 46 of 90
Talontedd
Apprentice

Quick update for those interested.  Netgear support is now in contact wiht me.  First step was to load a beta firmware and report back observations/situation. 

Three major observations..... 

1. Upgrade (load) of beta without erase/factory revert resulted in same unstable WAN operation.  The full reset created a few tense moments. After firmware load and resetting I thought unit bricked itself.  Lights would come on, but trying to access it via web page, wired or wireless was incredibly slow and unit would ever complete the built in startup sequence.  Also it was in a permanent no WAN connection mode. Tried powering off (let sit 15mins), restart, reset button, disconnect all devices, etc...nothing changed unresponsiveness and then it wakes up an says ok lets play normally - this was after 90mins of cursing at unit. Since then see results reported in #2 and #3.

2. WAN reported one disconnect/restart 3mins after powerup. However it has not dropped again in the subsequent 12hr period....previously it would repeatedly drop/restart inside 5-40mins timeframe. To be fair this first one could have been me reseting cable modem at same time. Will monitor through day/week. 

3. LAN1/2 in default setup and being used aggregate mode.  NG switch attached to it. Uptime monitors shows restarts in each link at various points, typically hours of run time before one will restart.  They do not drop together, each one is showing different uptime time.  Do not recall this being noted before - possible new issue?

Message 47 of 90
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the update. Please continue to share anything you find directly with NETGEAR support and they will hopefully be able to get to the bottom of this.

Message 48 of 90
Talontedd
Apprentice

Sharing here what was shared with netgear on my case.

5 days on since system reset with beta firmware results show signs of light for future releases on WAN stabilityissue.

WAN remains up - very close to system uptime value

LAN1/LAN2uptime counters restarting at various points - setup to run as LAG1 to netgear switch.  Switch shows no lost packets.  

Ignore LAN5 uptime as this is device that has a preset on/off time, so it is valid to see low value there.

Port Status Up Time
WAN 1000M/Full 05:13:51:39
SFP+ Link Down 00:00:00
LAN 1 1000M/Full 05:22:22
LAN 2 1000M/Full 01:21:30:09
LAN 3 Link Down 00:00:00
LAN 4 1000M/Full 05:13:55:25
LAN 5 1000M/Full 02:27:49
LAN 6 Link Down 00:00:00
WLAN b/g/n Link Down 00:00:00
WLAN a/n/ac 1733M 05:11:32:46
WLAN ad Link down 00:00:00

Message 49 of 90
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear that, thanks for the update! Fingers crossed it continues to be stable.
Message 50 of 90
Discussion stats
  • 89 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7