× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 Readyshare is mounting the wrong drive image with 2 drives in use

BertAnsink
Guide

XR700 Readyshare is mounting the wrong drive image with 2 drives in use

So tonight I installed a new XR700.

All working fine, except I use 2 drives via USB as a NAS. The drives work fine when they are plugged in separately, just using 2 drives at once is giving me issues.

Ran FW v1.0.1.38 at first and afterwards installed the Duma OS beta. Both versions encountered the same issue. 

When I plug the second drive in, the share name, volume etc all corresponds to the second drive, however the drive size and space used are equal to the first drive and the shares available is just drive 1 twice.

Both drives are recognized under the USB tab. It just seems to mount the wrong drive image for some reason.

This was previously attached to my XR500 running DumaOS beta .120 without any issues.

Any fix or is this a known bug?

Message 1 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've not seen anyone have this issue before. Do both drives work as NAS or does it appear to just be an issue with the table view on the storage page showing the wrong information? Do values for each change for example if you do something on USB 2?
Message 2 of 11
BertAnsink
Guide

No when I attach both drives then both shares show the data of drive 1, even if drive 1 and 2 are named separately.

Ie it will detect drive 1 as drive 1 and drive 2 as drive 2 by name/volume name. But the data for drive 2 is actually coming off drive 1.

This is what happens after inserting both drives:

NAS1.PNGNAS 1NAS 1NAS2.PNGNAS 2NAS 2So it does recognize both drives. But look at 'Free Space' it mounts the image on drive 1 as drive 2. So when I go to the NAS from my PC it shows 2 shares that both have the same files, off drive 1.

Message 3 of 11
BertAnsink
Guide

Pics didn't work, 2nd attempt:

NAS 1NAS 1NAS 2NAS 2

Message 4 of 11
BertAnsink
Guide

Uploading doesn't seem to work.

But in short, it's not just a text error, I do get 2 shares which are both drive 1, and can't get into drive 2 from PC.

Message 5 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you attach them directly we'll be able to download them, otherwise we'll have to wait for the pictures to be moderated. Understood thanks for the clarification. What are the models of the drives - are they the same? Are they both formatted to the same type, NTFS, FAT etc? Were both drives completely empty of data or did one have files the other didn't? Just trying to get an idea of why the router might detect them as different but the same.
Message 6 of 11
BertAnsink
Guide

No they are the same size but different models.

1 is a Samsung QVO 860 SSD 1TB

2 is a Toshiba ex PS4 drive 1TB

They have exactly the same size though.

Both are formatted as NTFS and were previously plugged in on my XR500 in the exact same configuration, simply transferred over to the XR700. They were not empty.

Message 7 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for that information, could you try and give one password protected access and see if that allows you to access both please? Also did you factory reset after upgrading to the beta? If not I'd suggest doing so. Also as it is a Netgear feature it may be best to open a ticket with them as well as they should have more idea of why this is happening http://support.netgear.com/
Message 8 of 11
BertAnsink
Guide

I did both and no succes.

Funny as I can acces drive 1 through the first share and then have to supply a password for it on the second share lol.

Message 9 of 11
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for letting us know, in this case I'd suggest opening a ticket with Netgear as Fraser mentions above, just let us know if you need anything else from us!

Message 10 of 11
BertAnsink
Guide

I opened a ticket with them. I thought it was more of a Netgear issue that's why I raised it here instead of over on the Netduma forum 🙂

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7