× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 Router stopped broadcasting SSID/no wifi

Mikeclev7
Aspirant

XR700 Router stopped broadcasting SSID/no wifi

Yesterday afternoon, my wifi stopped working. What I mean is I could no longer find the SSID, on any device, and cannot connect. When I log into the admin page, on the home page it shows the wireless is disabled. However when I go into wifi settings, everything looks like it’s set correctly. I have tried going down in firmware version, as well as factory resetting it, to no avail. Does this mean my router has bit the dust? And I must buy a new one? Has anyone seen this? Thanks in advance.
Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It sounds to me like the WiFi button on the top of the router was accidently pressed which has turned off the WiFi - if you have a cat for example they may have stepped on it by accident. Press the WiFi button on top of the router and see if it returns then.
Message 2 of 34
Mikeclev7
Aspirant

The button was not off. I looked and the led was on. Tried pushing several times to make sure still no change. I guess the thing is just broken after only 7 months. But my wifi is not working at all. But hardwired does. I don’t get it.
Message 3 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Very odd that it wouldn't show after a factory reset, the setup wizard was done each time with WiFi set up? Are you using Smart Connect? If so disable that and see if it broadcasts. Also check the SSIDs are set to broadcast. In advanced WiFi settings make sure the wireless radios are enabled.
Message 4 of 34
Mikeclev7
Aspirant

After factory reset I went through the whole setup in dumaOS and changed my SSID names and set everything back up. When I go into wireless settings it shows enabled and allow broadcast. The 2.4ghz and 60gz LED’s are lit, the 5ghz won’t light up though. Smart connect has been disabled since I got it, by recommendation when I originally unboxed and set it up.
Message 5 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So in the Advanced Settings > Advanced Wireless the radios are definitely turned on? Despite those LEDs working they still don't broadcast as well as the 5GHz? Plug the router directly into a wall outlet if you have it plugged into a power extender. If it's still not working then I think you may need to get a replacement as it's a possible hardware fault.
Message 6 of 34
SonzofGod
Tutor

Did you ever solve this issue? My year old XR700 suddenly started doing this yesterday.... SSID is not showing or intermittent. The WiFi radio button the front appears to do nothing....as well as the Duma OS enable radio button checkbox. Also, the router WILL NOT let me do a factory reset. The power LED just flashed white while I have the reset button pressed....never goes orange.

ALL GHz bands show disabled in the DUMA OS....

Message 7 of 34
Mikeclev7
Aspirant

No I never did, I had no choice but to contact amazon and get a refund. For a faulty product. I tried netgear support, they were of no use to me. Not to mention hardly being able to understand them. Definitely not buying another netgear product, that’s my solution. No reason you spend $500 on a router and it quits only a couple months in.
Message 8 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've just responded to your topic so hopefully we can get it resolved: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/Netgear-Nighthawk-XR700-all-wi-fi-band...
Message 9 of 34
SonzofGod
Tutor

thank you for the fast reply....I will try and troubleshoot it a bit...but it seems alot of people are having this issue....the router is so advanced it can't do simple things like provide internet lol

Message 10 of 34
SonzofGod
Tutor

thank you, I'm trying now and will update you in my thread

Message 11 of 34
GhillieK9
Apprentice

Did you guys ever get that resolved? I have the XR700 and suddenly WiFi radios stopped working...it's not the button...under advanced wireless they are both turned on.... it's selected to broadcast...I can only connect via Ethernet...did full reset....hard reset...factory reset....nothing works. 

Message 12 of 34
Mikeclev7
Aspirant

Nope. You know what my fix for it was though? I sent that overpriced piece of garbage back to Amazon and got a refund!
Message 13 of 34
GhillieK9
Apprentice

Lol wish I could. I think the actual wifi radios malfunctioned...what did you go with instead? I'm thinking about trying ASUS one of their gaming routers.
Message 14 of 34
Mikeclev7
Aspirant

I was looking at the ax6000 asus. But I just went back to cox equipment because it never let me down honestly. Never had issues with ISP equipment.
Message 15 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@GhillieK9 I would recommend re-upgrading to the latest firmware using the TFTP method as that will bypass the boot process and any issues that may be there. Would then suggest a factory reset. This will give you the freshest install possible.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Message 16 of 34
GhillieK9
Apprentice

I will try this method and report later. FYI I have tried several other firmware....the.20.10 and.08 that hot flash one that someone suggested. But those were the regular method so I'll try this. Thank you
Message 17 of 34
GhillieK9
Apprentice

Well, sadly it did not work. The flash was successful but my WiFi will still not turn on. Ethernet connections work. Even the 2.4 / 5 ghz lights will not turn on. In the advanced wireless setting, I can turn on the 60ghz ones and it'll light up....the 2.4/5 are checked on but the light won't work and there are no connections. It is as if the hardware for the 2.4/5 malfunctioned or something. 

Message 18 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In the Advanced WiFi options disable the radios, apply then reboot. Then go back, enable, apply and reboot again. See if that helps bring them back to life.
Message 19 of 34
GhillieK9
Apprentice

Let me try that....I never did.the reboot when I toggled them before...good idea
Message 20 of 34
GhillieK9
Apprentice

One thing I forgot to mention.... when I try to log into the router via 192.168.1.1, after the log in, I get "DumaOS not loaded yet" message...only way I can log in is via "

http://192.168.1.1/adv_index.htm

which is what I found here somewhere....not sure if that helps identifying the issue....

Message 21 of 34
GhillieK9
Apprentice

No luck, sadly

Message 22 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd recommend making a ticket here with Netgear and see if they have any other suggestions: http://support.netgear.com/
Message 23 of 34
GhillieK9
Apprentice

Thank you....I'm just outside of my one year warranty so given up hope. I will just use it for my PS4 and a few other things I can hook up the ethernet ports to...and then use some older one for wifi devices. Bummer....worked like a champ when it did
Message 24 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I really don't know why that has happened and certainly doesn't sound like a software issue. One thought actually, if you put it in AP mode does the WiFi work?
Message 25 of 34
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7