× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700: SFP+ and LAG

Shikwan68
Star

XR700: SFP+ and LAG

I've been using the XR700 with my GS110TP ProSafe Switch (which has served me for years with no issues) connected via LAG.  I have an External USB hdd connected to the XR700. 

I'm thinking of prepping my network for 10G by replacing the GS110TP with the GS110EMX or the MS510TX as well as purchasing a 10G Nic card by Aqtion for my gaming PC.

My questions;

1. Can I use both the LAG and the SFP+ at the same time to effectively produce 12GB of data throughput - I mean; will 1Gb ports see a bump in communicating speed 'theoretically' with router or usb storage?

2. Would it be more beneficial to use the SFP+ connection to my modem (standard 1Gb port) as opposed to a switch on the LAN with a SFP+ or multi-gig port supporting 10G...I don't know if I should keep the existing LAG setup and connect the router to the modem via SFP+ OR connect the SFP+ to the LAN and keep the LAG setup as well.

(I guess ultimately what I wanna know is how are the ports configured for priority use? Does the router send data go thru the SFP+ port before it sends it out the 1GB ports (like how you are supposed to connect data intense devices to the lower port numbers for priority) - which port will the device utilize as priority if both the SFP+ and LAG ports are connected to the same switch??

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hello, I already responded over on the Netduma forums, good to see you posted here. If the community can't give you an answer I'd advise you to contact Netgear support directly here: http://support.netgear.com/
Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact @-Donovan- about his experiences with XR700 and SFP+

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR700-Slow-SFP-Download-Speed/m-p/1774...

@Shikwan68 wrote:

I've been using the XR700 with my GS110TP ProSafe Switch (which has served me for years with no issues) connected via LAG.  I have an External USB hdd connected to the XR700. 

I'm thinking of prepping my network for 10G by replacing the GS110TP with the GS110EMX or the MS510TX as well as purchasing a 10G Nic card by Aqtion for my gaming PC.

My questions;

1. Can I use both the LAG and the SFP+ at the same time to effectively produce 12GB of data throughput - I mean; will 1Gb ports see a bump in communicating speed 'theoretically' with router or usb storage?

2. Would it be more beneficial to use the SFP+ connection to my modem (standard 1Gb port) as opposed to a switch on the LAN with a SFP+ or multi-gig port supporting 10G...I don't know if I should keep the existing LAG setup and connect the router to the modem via SFP+ OR connect the SFP+ to the LAN and keep the LAG setup as well.

(I guess ultimately what I wanna know is how are the ports configured for priority use? Does the router send data go thru the SFP+ port before it sends it out the 1GB ports (like how you are supposed to connect data intense devices to the lower port numbers for priority) - which port will the device utilize as priority if both the SFP+ and LAG ports are connected to the same switch??

Message 3 of 4
IDdrew
Aspirant

SFP+ comprises many flavors.  Be more specific.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7