× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 Slow SFP+ Download Speed

vik85es
Aspirant

XR700 Slow SFP+ Download Speed

I've just purchased a Nighthawk XR700 and after some testing I believe there is some kind of issue on Hardware / Firmware preventing the SFP+ to achieve the 10G advertised speeds. It's replacing a ASUS GT-AC5300 which so far has been able to handle my 1Gbps FTTH WAN connection where speed testing is usually on 940Mbps/940Mbps, so very close to the 1Gbps.

With the XR700 on ETH1 I'm getting sometimes close to 900Mbps (only 1 device while testing and Wifi OFF, no QoS or Traffic Prioritization) using an Asus XG-C100C and a Cat.7 Cable. Switch the cable to the SFP+ (connected via 10Gttek 10GBASE-T DAC) and the download speeds can't pass 660Mbps, while upload speeds are the same as the ASUS. Tried also a GPON ONU SFP module (1 Gbps) and using the SFP as WAN connection and  terrible results on download speeds (330 mbps). So I don't believe that are the modules since in other switches these work just fine.

These results are very disappointing specially on Download speeds since it's actually faster on the 1GE ports of the XR700

Has anyone experienced something similar? Any thoughts?

Appreciate the support.

Thank you

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 20
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

This is strange because usually the SFP+ port is much faster than the WAN port. It sounds likely that this is a hardware issue which might require a replacement.

Just to confirm: are you on the most recent firmware?

Message 2 of 20
vik85es
Aspirant

Yes, The firmware is updated to the latest version available: V1.0.1.10

Message 3 of 20
-Donovan-
Luminary

On the v1.01.10, I have the an issue with the WAN Port-to-LAN not reaching the 1Gbps. On the SFP+ Port-to-LAN with a AGM734-10000s, I can get above 940Mbps.

Message 4 of 20
vik85es
Aspirant

So could it be a firmware issue from the SFP+ to WAN? Because it otherwise doesn't make sense that I can get full speeds on LAN but not on SFP+. Even LAN to WAN is not as optimized as it is on Asus unfortunately.

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I would probably try another. 

I'm not seeing anything near 900Mbps on my XR700 on the WAN port:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Beta/XR700-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-...

I don't have an SFP+ device. 

Message 6 of 20
vik85es
Aspirant

Thanks. I have no access to the Beta. I've also tried a SFP GPON ONU Zisa OP151S that negotiates at 1 Gbps. Same results. The download speeds are around 400Mbps. The same SFP on Mikrotik RB3011 gets me the 1 Gbps simmetric FTTH without issues so it's clearly no the SFP modules but rather something in the hardware (router) or probably the firmware. I'm guessing returning it it's my only option now.

Message 7 of 20
-Donovan-
Luminary

@vik85es wrote:

So could it be a firmware issue from the SFP+ to WAN? Because it otherwise doesn't make sense that I can get full speeds on LAN but not on SFP+. Even LAN to WAN is not as optimized as it is on Asus unfortunately.

It's a firmware issue since the v1.0.0.20. I have to escalade my issue to the Netgear Level 3. You can sign up to get Beta Firmware and see if we can get the similar result in the topic "XR700 Beta Firmware".

Message 8 of 20
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@vik85es I have asked @Christian_R to add you to the beta forum so you can try the newest firmware there.
Message 9 of 20
Shikwan68
Star

I have a question to the OP...

Just outta curiosity, did you try rebooting either your router or both router and modem after swapping connections from LAN to SFP+, etc? Sometimes the connection isn't fully reset until so, in my experiences.

Message 10 of 20
-Donovan-
Luminary

Shikwan68

Yes, sometime you must reset the modem and the router, otherwise the router won't start the setup wizard.

Message 11 of 20
Shikwan68
Star

Ok..

I just replaced my old Netgear GS110TTP Switch for a MS510TX tonight. I have setup LAG on the 1GB ports and I have the XR700's SFP+ port connected to it via an Ipolex 10G Transceiver and a CAT 7 cable. I have Gigabit Internet from Comcast. Highest I've seen prior was 948mb DL and 43mb Up. I have an Older USB 3.0 hdd connected to the router but don't expect to see much increase due to the age. We will see.

10G lights up on the XR700 but I will be testing this weekend.

Message 12 of 20
LEZZTHA
Aspirant

I have a similar problem. I connected my PC via sfp+ and it only gets around 500/600 mbs instead of 960mbs

any solution?

Message 13 of 20
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you using QoS at all as that would throttle your connection. Disable QoS completely in the Anti-Bufferbloat options menu and see if you can get any higher.
Message 14 of 20
LEZZTHA
Aspirant

I did that Already of course.
Message 15 of 20
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you got an SFP+ compatible network card in the PC?
Message 16 of 20
LEZZTHA
Aspirant

Yes. Asus 10g sfp+ card
Message 17 of 20
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you using one of the compatible SFP+ modules to connect to the SFP+ port on the router? https://kb.netgear.com/31408/What-SFP-modules-are-compatible-with-Nighthawk-X10-R9000-R8900-and-Nigh...
Message 18 of 20
LEZZTHA
Aspirant

Message 19 of 20
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Well I'd take a look at that guide I linked above which will give you ones which are compatible.
Message 20 of 20
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7