× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 Unacceptable Wifi issues

XR700 Unacceptable Wifi issues

Details:

XR700 connected to Hitron DOCSIS 3 4582 cable modem

XR700 is connected to Hitron's port 1 to XR700 Internet port, Hitron port 1 is in bridged mode bypassing internal management

I have many Wifi smart home devices including lights,switches,thermostat,smoke/carbon detector,Amazon echos and a SECURITY System

This setup has been working stable for about a month

Tonight the wifi and ONLY the wifi just seemed to stop working and most of my wireless devices could not connect

I rebooted the modem and then the XR700 and then all the wireless devices

The Issue is that only a small portion of the devices could connect, as an example my iphone 11 pro max reconnected to the XR700 wifi

just fine and yet my iPad pro keeps attempting to connect but can not

some of my smarthome devices connected but not others no matter how many times i reboot them

being that i have safety and security devices connected to the XR700s wifi this is an unacceptable situation

I mean holy crap if the power were to ever go out how can i trust that everything will come back online?

what can i do to resolve this and prevent it in the future?

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you using Smart Connect for WiFi? If so disable this and then manually connect to 2.4 or 5GHz, do they connect properly then? Have any WiFi settings been changed before that issue occured?
Message 2 of 59

Well that did work after two rounds of rebooting all devices and resetting all devices to 2.4ghz

and No absolutely nothing changed before this happened, I believe we had power interuption in my neighborhood though

guess I am going to have to get a tesla powerwall as primarily a whole house UPS

Message 3 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It might have gotten confused with Smart Connect enabled, monitor it and let us know if it occurs again now that you've disabled that.
Message 4 of 59

simply rebooting the XR700 causes devices to not be able to connect, My Iphone 11 Pro Max and iPad Pro both show in orange under the ssid name that it connects to the router but has no internet connection when ethernet devices connected to it do

I have manually changed the channels on 2.4/5 and 60 ghz and it changes nothing now, this router has to be borked

Message 5 of 59

I just Factory reset the XR 700 and once i got to the page where you change your login password and then have to connect to the new Wifi SSID to continue routerlogin.net no longer works, my TV when connecting to the Wifi of the XR700 says there is a server certificate error

My PC appears to connect to the Wifi but i get no internet and can not access the DumaOS Dashboard

My GSXME10 will not connect to the ethernet properly, I just don't get it, this thing is hot garbage

Message 6 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear this is still an issue. Go to Advanced WiFi settings and disable both the radios for the wifi and apply, then reboot the router. Go back to the same page and enable the radios again, also make sure HT160 is disabled, apply and reboot the router. Does that resolve the issue?
Message 7 of 59
john2286
Tutor

I have had this problem since I bought this router. I thought it would be an upgrade to the other one I had and I needed the extra square footage the XR700 covers but the wifi issues are holding it back. When it works, it works great. But God forbid the power goes out or the interent is shut off. Nothing or somethings will connect. This recent time 5 devices out of my 40 connected. Nothing changed, everthing was still the same. I finally reset the router, used a backup I had which was a pain in it self only to find out it fixed nothing. The only thing that worked was something I read online that said firmware 1.0.0.20 fixes the wifi issues. Sure enough as soon as I went back to firmware 1.0.0.20 everything connect. I was no longer getting the "can't connect to ip" issues. Please fix this issue as its not a ssid issue, its a wifi issue. I'm scared of losing power and I live in Florida, so it happens often. 

Message 8 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sign up to the 3.0 beta as it should be more stable, it will also provide an ideal time to give us feedback as we're developing http://www.netgearinnovation.com/dumaos-beta/index.html
Message 9 of 59

this is still very much an issue, infact just a couple days ago it happened when i had some electrical work done to my house

I will sign up for the beta, but holy cow man is there like only 1 person working on firmware development?

Message 10 of 59
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Well we're not the world's biggest team, but we're expanding.

Message 11 of 59

So i signed up for the beta a long time ago but i never got any kind of email or anything

Message 12 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

NG didn't provide sign up confirmation emails. The beta for the XR700 hasn't yet started.
Message 13 of 59
blackn6345
Guide

After reading through the string, this sounds similar to what I have been finding which I have not yet been able to resolve. I live in an area where the power can flash on and off at any time. It’s been nicknamed Flicker and Flash. The XR700 is on a UPS. I have found when the power flashes on and off, any wireless device that reboots, will not connect back to the router. Any wireless device such as cell phone and tablets have no issues with connectivity. But smart home devices or other that reboot, will not re-connect. I can power them off and on again with no success. The only way to get everything working again is to reboot the router. I do not use Smart Connect option and most of the devices have static assigned IPs. This affects both DHCP and Static device. When I am away I have it setup so I can remote into my PC just so I can reboot the router when cameras quit working. PC is hard wired.

However, I do have a switch (GS308) not on a UPS which will power off and on, which any connected device to this switch will also not regain a connection. Rebooting the switch or the connected device/s will not regain the connection to the router. Again only rebooting the router fixes the issue. I sometimes can reproduce the issue just by unplugging a device and plugging it back in, simulating a power flicker. This router replaced my R8500 which NEVER had this problem. I only replaced the R8500 because it was out of support. I am getting to the point of going back to the R8500 because this XR700 is worthless in this case. Unfortunately I missed the time frame of returning it or I would have but stuck with it. SO need to look at making it work.

In trying to figure out the problem, it seems to hold/remember the devices connected so when they disconnect, they are not allowed to reconnect because the router things they are already connected. Rebooting clears memory letting devices reconnect again.

Message 14 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That is quite an odd issue, nothing that could be affected by a settings change on the router that I could think of. You could try connecting wireless devices to the guest network and see if that helps. For the Switch, does it occur in all the LAN ports?
Message 15 of 59
blackn6345
Guide

As for the switch it is the ports with devices connected.  I have not tried plugging something into any of the opened ports when the problem occurs.  I just know that any device connected wireless and to the switch at the time the power flickers on and off, will not connect until I reboot the router.  These are any devices connected to power when the flicker occurs. Phones, tablets work fine on both bands.  I also have an old GS108 connected to UPS and any device connected to it will still function.  But I did have the same issue with the GS108 when it was connected to the surge protect side of the UPS.  All device would loose connectivity when the power flickered which the GS108 would reboot.  I moved it to the battery backup side of the UPS and the problem went away.  I have factory reset the router and used pretty much the defaults and re-flashed the firmware.  Same results.  This passed 2 weeks I have had to reboot the router 3 times to get wireless devices working again place the devices plugged into the GS308.  

Message 16 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm not sure what I can suggest on this front, I think it will require more investigation. I would recommend making a ticket with Netgear directly, it could be a hardware fault in which case they could offer a replacement.

http://support.netgear.com/
Message 17 of 59
blackn6345
Guide

Unfortunately to place a ticket with netgear would mean having to purchase a service contract.  The only thing on warranty is hardware till Dec.  Before it can be warrantied by replacement you have to go through troubleshooting first which requires the service contract which they will make the determination if it is warrantied to be replaced (catch 22).  It was recommended to search forums for possible solutions.  I concluded the only solution would be to put the router on the surge protect side of the UPS so when power is lost the router will reboot, resolving any of the connection issues. Or go back to the old router and try selling the xr700 and take the loss.  

Message 18 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That might do it, if not, perhaps @ChristineT or @DarrenM or @Christian_R could help with replacement without using their service.
Message 19 of 59
RamjetX
Star

So I've had the XR700 for about 5 months now.... and experience exactly the same problems. I'm pretty tech savvy and tried all the different firmware options offered here including the latest hotfix 1.0.1.24.

I was about to sign up DumaOS 3 beta, but there's no chance I'm sending through my serial number to a Google doc form since it's the primary remote reset key needed to factory restore it. Thats a security issue at the best of times!?!!!

So far, this XR700 drops devices off the wireless network regularly. Devices attempt to connect and aren't given IP addresses. Or they get an IP but won't have access through the gateway for some reason. Some devices like the Telstra TV (roku), LG WebOS TV constantly keep changing their IP every few seconds. R-Apps will work on power up... but a couple weeks later when I'm having WiFi problems, when I check, the Apps are no longer working and can't be restarted without a router reboot....

And the Wii is not connected to the network, which for some reason often gets the blame for WiFi problem?

No joke... this is the flakiest network product I've ever used and for it's price... is simply trash.. It is mildy useful as a doorstop at best.

For the love of your friendly local diety... I sincerely hope this is going to be fixed. And given how long the product has been on the market and so many issues still exist today... I'm not holding out much hope for this outcome. How can I get my hands on DumaOS 3 to test without using that google doc form. I'm not giving my serial number on a google doc. Thats crazy. 

If DumaOS 3 doesn't drastically improve the product stability, I'm looking to seek a full refund as it's costing me work productivity, remote work VPN connection problems and even just local home use for kids tablets is flakey. 

Fact is: right now... the product doesn't work and isn't fit for sale.

Message 20 of 59
blackn6345
Guide

Yeah pretty much everything I describe regarding this router.  When the problem occurs to me, when I stated the devices connected to the switch have no access, they do get an IP so they are seeing the router and the router is communicating to the devices.  I can even reboot the devices attached to the switch and get IPs.  But rebooting the switch will have no affect, I have no internet access nor internal access.  As for the wireless devices I know for a fact they are not getting an IP because of the way they react with the LEDs.  But onces the router is rebooted, all is back to normal.  I put the router on the none battery side of the UPS so when the power bumps, the router will reboot resolving the disconnects.  What gets me, cell phones and tablets will be connected.  Get disconnected and reconnect all the time but they never have issues.  All the wireless devices that went through the power bump will have no access but cell and tablets do.  Just makes no sense.

I have been using Netgear for a very long time and I know there was a series that also had this problem.  Long time ago.  I worked through it and one day a firmware update came out to fix it.  That is what I am hoping for.  

Message 21 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear you're having these issues, we are working hard to bring 3.0 as soon as possible to the 700. For now based on the issues all I can advise is to set LAN IP reservations for all the devices and also in Internet Setup choose static instead of dynamic.
Message 22 of 59

where is that hotfix 1.0.1.24? not on official page?

and the fact you guys have ignored all these issues and focused all your "energy and effort" on 3.0 development in lieu of SECURITY updates to the current firmware is preposterous and huge SLAP IN THE FACE of your customers and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

especially with how much this thing cost, if DUMA only has a small team then netgear should have given them a huge pile of money to hire more staff.

As a Combo Netgear/Duma have shown by thier actions that they do not give a $h1t about anything but money, if that offends you guys well sorry, if you "say" that you do care well then prove it!

And do not let this sort of BS happen again in the future, you are now in the position of re-earning our trust period.

Message 23 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can find that here which does include a security update: https://kb.netgear.com/000061714/XR700-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-24-Hot-Fix

Netgear are in charge of those kind of updates mostly as their settings are intertwined in the software. I am hopeful that 3.0 will fix a lot of peoples issues.
Message 24 of 59
RamjetX
Star

Hi Fraser, 

Look I appreciate that from my observation throughout this forum that your very active and willing to help as much as in your control. 

At this time... the product simply just does not work. With any firmware publically available.... not one of them! I don't really care what state DumaOS 3 is in... it surely can't be worse that what we, the customers, are currently experiencing now.

I've attached a screenshot of the my device manager below. All of the devices that are offline can now no longer obtain an IP address. Even deleting the devices from device manager won't refresh any associations with MAC and IPs. 

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/665328002686779412/745580571526168626/unknown.png 

I have quite a number of devices that connect in from the XR700 and another AP on the network that is simply an AP with switch ports for legacy IOT lightbulbs and camera's. Phones that connected and worked on Sunday... after a reboot of the router... can't access the network anymore? Not from LAN connected AP's or the onboard WiFi. There is no point of entry that will get an IP address...

I've lost hours... and I mean tens of hours diagnosing this relatively small and simple home network. I manage and deploy large control and data networks for a living. I honestly thought I was working against an intruder messing with the config at one point because how random the connections have been. 

I've seen others on the forum who've gone through and spent hours discovering devices, setting up DHCP static tables and the issue appears again only a few weeks later. This is fine on devices that don't use random MAC's on connection. With those that use random MAC's on each connection. I've disabled this option on my phones, thinking it was causing ARP problems... but no difference. The OLED LG tv, has 1 MAC... but been assigned 6 IP addresses for some reason. Interestingly ... at the same time... the Nighthawk App no longer remotely connects to the XR700 either. It finds the device but claims it's disconnected and cannot access the router at all.

I've followed every possible action you've given to every other user having the same problem across the whole forum. And they're right. The ONLY way to 'fix' it is a factory reset and an hour or so reconfiguring all the settings again. And it only lasts 2-4 weeks... I've had to do a factory reset and reconfigure to get the network restored to some 'normal' functionality at least once per month since April

At this stage, I don't even trust that the configuration file it saves is valid. Setting up fresh is the only reliable way to restore some level of functionality. It has all the hall marks of a memory leak in the OS that's overwriting config or system code. 

This product is currently broken...  It's not a case of waiting around for some new screens and new 'gamer' inspired functions that no-body needs... The basic functionality of the this device is broken.

If the DumaOS 3.0 beta is more stable than what we have... It needs to be an open release now. I'd go for partially functional over broken at this point. 

RamjetX

Message 25 of 59
Discussion stats
  • 58 replies
  • 26 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7