× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 Unacceptable Wifi issues

Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I totally get your point and if I was a lone developer I would help if I could, if those were DumaOS issues then even then we may be able to get something out. I'm not in direct contact with the Netgear dev team so I couldn't say anything about it. As you have seen I've tried to come up with every single possible workaround for the issues until a fix comes. The only other thing I could suggest which would may not have done is to reinstall the firmware using the TFTP method, by installing prior to the boot sequence it may bypass any issues there, then doing a reset it will be the freshest possible install and hopefully last a little longer.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP?_ga=2...
Message 26 of 59
RamjetX
Star

I'll give a TFTP upload a try, although I'm not confident it'll do anything different. 

Following my message last night. My laptop was the only device that would still connect via WiFi. I typed that message on this same laptop. I'd noticed that Netflix on the TV which is hard wired, was taking longer and longer to load episodes of Grizzy and the Lemmings (kids love it)...

So I did a speedtest and I was down from 110Mbit to just under 5Mbit download speed.... At that point, I rebooted the router again...and it nuked the rest of it's own config. Nothing would connect. Not even LAN wired devices. I had to factory reset... this time I used a saved config file to restore settings (as it was late here). Thankfully that worked and all devices connected again. I did another speed test immedately and all internet speeds were restored to full.

Before reboot and factory reset. 
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/665328002686779412/745753873276207104/unknown.png

After factory reset of XR700. 

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/665328002686779412/745753996211257532/unknown.png

No other network changes made at all. I strongly believe it's a firmware issue with a memory leak or addressing issue in the DumaOS. 

RamjetX

Message 27 of 59
RamjetX
Star

..... 6 hours later... Device Manager and other R-Apps no longer respond...

Message 28 of 59
john2286
Tutor

The only thing that worked for me was something I read online that said firmware 1.0.0.20 fixes the wifi issues. Sure enough as soon as I went back to firmware 1.0.0.20 everything connected. I have not updated firmware yet until this is fixed which looks like never! Should be a class action law suit!
Message 29 of 59
RamjetX
Star

Hi John,
I'm not sure it's a WiFi issue specifically... it's looking more like a DHCP issue, it's just the WiFi devices regularly connect and disconnnect from the network that makes it stand out. Wired devices fail to get IP's too. Last night, it just nuked itself. Nothing, no traffic passed at all... 

But it's more than just that, it's killing parts of the UI interface. Which in turn stops any Netgear remote access apps from working. 

Definitely class action... There's been a lawyer team already sniffing around the forum gathering applicants 

Message 30 of 59
blackn6345
Guide

I thought adding the router to the none battery side of the UPS would help with the disconnects with devices ended up working only  part of the time.  I will will have to reboot the router to gte times reconnected.  Setting up with reserved IP or static does not always done the trick.  And there have been some times I had to reset to factory and I to have to send hours reconfiguring.  I am not going to try any beta software.  Years ago I had issues with another router and it was suggested to try this beta version until it was released and the beta bricked  the router.  Because the beta is not an official version the router would not be replaced because its use at your own risk.  So money down the toilet and had to get a new one. This XR700 replaced the old R8500 which was only because this model was disconnected and there were no more updates given.  I decided to go back to the R8500 and put the XR700 away until something new in firmware comes out and hopefully works.  Sad thing is, to me the R8500 is far more superior than the XR700.  It has never let me down and has ran for years with no issues.  It killed me to find it no longer supported when you see other routers years older that still are.  

Message 31 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Please do try the TFTP + method plus a reset as it will be almost making it factory fresh and hopefully if the issues are in the boot process then you won't encounter them again.
Message 32 of 59
RamjetX
Star

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Please do try the TFTP + method plus a reset as it will be almost making it factory fresh and hopefully if the issues are in the boot process then you won't encounter them again.

Due to unavailability of a replacement model. I did try the TFTP upload... Since my last post, it ran fine... until today... it started failing to give IP addresses. Drops devices that already had a connection... some mid-stream of a movie. And progressively through the day more and more devices are offline. A reboot only made it worse with 2-4 more devices being dropped each time.

By the end of the day, even wired network PC's are unable to get an IP.

I had to manually set the IP on my PC to get back into the router. With Manual IP on the PC (not the router IP reservation), routing still works and connection to the net will happen. But the distribution of IP's from the XR700 is none existent.

The TFTP upload does not work. The firmware is faulty.... 

Message 33 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We should if all goes to plan have a new XR700 firmware within the next few weeks which I'm confident will solve a lot of the issues from our side and Netgears. For now it might be best to set it in AP mode.
Message 34 of 59

well well well

Here we are a week away from the XR1000 release wich will apparently come with DumaOS 3.0 built in and I still NEVER got my beta invite for the XR700

BTW the 700 seems to be a discontinued product at this point

we've strung along way past the point of being able to return the device to get our money back and now it feels like we have been utterly raped by how netgear handled this, never did they even respond to this

I thank the Duma guys for at least responding even though there seemed to be nothing they could do that actually provided a fix to these issues.

The XR700 is Fundamentally flawed hardware with a perpetually flawed firmware.

Message 35 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We are still supporting the XR700 and working on the beta for it as we speak, it will be available very soon. We haven't given up on any of our products.
Message 36 of 59
chinnicus
Initiate

Its taken me since March to stumble across this thread, but I want to throw my hat in the ring as another customer that strongly echoes the sentiments of the other customers in this thread. I honestly cannot believe that I paid money for this brick only to be completely snubbed by Netgear. The fact that I have a piece of hardware that literally just does not work as its supposed to, and functions worse than the cheapest of crappy low end routers is bad enough, then I realize that official support kept me placated JUST enough to let the time period in which they will provide support LAPSE (really, you just stop supporting your own products 3 months after purchase, really?) and now its 100% a sunk cost in money and time.

Fraser, you look to be a caring and thoughtful person, and I think most customers on this thread recognize that, but unfortunately you being likable and caring doesn't actually solve our problems this time around.

I will never purchase a Netgear product again, not just because of some flawed roll out of a product, but because there has been no transparency from Netgear on it, its persisted for FAR too long, and their policies for even providing technical support or anti-consumer. Destroying brand loyalty is bad.

Thank you Fraser for at least attempting diligently to resolve this for everyone.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 37 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Firstly thank you for your understanding, as I'm sure you're aware my job is to try and support users and pass on any issues that cannot be solved as I have done. I apologize that I've been unable to resolve the issues.

I don't want to repeat myself as I am sure that is frustrating to read but my last message is accurate. There is a new update from Netgear for the XR700, it doesn't mention any fixes for specific issues but sometimes these aren't always listed so would recommend upgrading and then doing a factory reset from the interface. Hopefully it will be more stable: https://kb.netgear.com/000062409/XR700-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-34
Message 38 of 59
chinnicus
Initiate

That's fair, I both rolled back the firmware to the 1.0.20 version another user mentioned, and updated it to the most current version with no success, and I can verify the firmware version displayed was in fact the .34 recent version.

Really, with the resources you have on hand, you've probably done an even better job than most of us realize in trying to help us. I certainly hope none of this has felt directed to you personally.

Through whatever feedback channels you have available to you, please pass on our dismay and frustration- Its been enormously frustrating dealing with this and it really does feel like Netgear has done little if anything to help over the last 6 months. The management team needs to reevaluate some of their priorities and help resolve and rectify this issue in its entirety. It doesnt help to have all the extra featurization of dumaOS when it doesn't meet its basic functionality requirements.

Message 39 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Rest assured I have given feedback back to the teams and I know they are working as hard as they can on it. It may not be much consolation but the more bugs we find on the XR500 etc that are found the better it should then make the XR700 when available. I appreciate you understanding the situation.
Message 40 of 59
blackn6345
Guide

Sense going to the latest firmware version for the XR700 (1.0.1.34), the wireless has been crashing out several times. It went fine at first but now the last couple days its been crashing. The wireless is lost both 2.4 and 5ghz but wired connections remain. Give it a little more time and the router itself would reboot. Or I had to reboot.

I been working from home but primarily been using the wired connection. So the wireless is not hit to hard. Not sure what could be making it crash out, not to mention it rebooting. And I do not see any issues relating to heating problems. When it was upgraded to .34 I had done a hard reset and reconfigured all over again. I just do not have the time to do this all over again nor can rely on this much anymore. I’ll be replacing it with my old R8500 putting this XR700 on the shelf until I can see a firmware version that appears to resolve all the issues this device has to offer. I been using netgear devices for a very very long time and this by far has been a complete waste.

Message 41 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that is still happening. I think that is probably the wise thing to do in this situation and wait to see if the 3.0 helps with the issue.
Message 42 of 59
blackn6345
Guide

Later on I had discovered the issue I was having was worse than expected. Once I got everything back up and running for the time being with the xr700 so I could work, later I found that Port Aggregation was not working and a portion of my wireless devices would not reconnect. Then I found out only my main PC and my work laptop only had internet access. These 2 devices are hard wired. Everything else was offline, wired and wireless devices. This time I had to power off by the button and unplug power. Gave it about 20sec and plugged it all back in. Some of my wireless devices did reconnect, others I had to redo their connections. But everything else was good and the aggregation came back.
The issues with the devices not reconnecting seems to be the router maintaining the device in memory. And when maybe it tries to reconnect, it sees its already connected and will not let it back on. But that theory kind of goes away when I see my work laptop show up on the site grid(Device Manager) 3 times. All 3 the same except IP. A complete power off clears them out.

Message 43 of 59
RamjetX
Star

It's pretty well established that the dhcp server is failing. There's a pretty bad memory leak in the firmware and and it's marking and assigning dhcp IP addresses it starts writing to out of bound addresses and kills other parts of the software at the same time. That's why the reboots don't help. It needs a firmware rewrite to give full control back but it's only a matter of time before it will do it again.
Message 44 of 59
blackn6345
Guide

Yes memory leak is what I was trying to think of just couldn’t get the words out. Been one hell of a week. This has been an issue in the past with other netgear routers but have not seen it this bad. In the beginning I should have known there were going to be problems when I went from the R8500 to XR700. I always keep the wireless the same so I do not have to reconfigure the wireless devices. So I always setup the new exactly like the old and use the old as a backup. This time when I put the XR700 into play, the wireless devices would not sync. I actually had to reconfigure each one over again and had to reboot the router several times until they all got connected properly. I should have none then there was going to be problems…ugh

Message 45 of 59
Killhippie
Prodigy

The R9000 had some wifi issues (R9000 without dumaOS is the original model of this router) and they were sorted with firmware updates but the R9000 line is end of life now so I fear that further devcelopment on this series of routers is going to come to an end end as Netgear move on with AX. I've never seen so many issues on Netgear routers as the gaming series then again work on the XR700 did seem to come to a halt for some reason a long time ago, its probably got the latest drivers etc it can have, but it seems the team working on it vanished almost, Weird. I've beta tested quite a few Netgear products but ive never seen anything like this.

Message 46 of 59
blackn6345
Guide

This past weekend I finally gave up with the xr700. I put back the R8500 and boy what a difference. And I mean for the better. The R8500 was my back up so all I needed to do was unplug the xr700 and drop the r8500 in its place. I cannot believe how stable things are. Also, speeds have increased, go figure. For example, I have Roku boxes. They have a network connection test built in. I used to get in the 60’s on an ISP providing 100 down. With this r8500 I know get 80’s and sometimes 90’s. Being the wireless setup is the same between the 2 routers, once the r8500 was in place, all my wireless devices connected with out me needing to redo any of them.

I wanted to try something out one more time with the xr700 so I removed the r8500 and put back the xr700. Again, nothing has changed between routers. I could barely get my wireless stuff to work. Only stuff working was the wired connections. To get my wireless devices working I had to redo the connection setup which I only did on the ones I wanted to test. When done, I put the r8500 back in play and everything was back online. Did not have to do a thing to fix anything.

Overall, this xr700 is a bad idea. At this point I really doubt the new 3.0 is going to have any affect on the device performance. I will say thou, with my experience with Netgear devices, this has been the only one that really was disappointing.

Message 47 of 59

WHERE IS THE DAMN BETA OR FIRMWARE UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Un**bleep**ing believable

Message 48 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Message 49 of 59
Redrum215
Initiate

Is firmware version v1.0.1.38 stable or are the wifi issues still present?
Message 50 of 59
Discussion stats
  • 58 replies
  • 26 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7