× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 WAN Interface Going Up/Down Periodically

twalls1
Aspirant

XR700 WAN Interface Going Up/Down Periodically

Hello,

Just got a new XR700 today. I have found that the WAN interface is going down briefly and coming back up every 10-20 minutes or so. This did not happen previously with my XR500 while connected to the same CM600 modem.

I'm able to monitor this by going to Settings > Monitor > Statistics. I can see the WAN port has an uptime of less than 20 minutes while others have been up for a couple of hours. Furthermore, if I start some continuous pings for various domains, I see them drop packets when the uptime for the WAN port resets.

I have tried re-flashing the firmware after downloading it from the web site, I've done a factory reset of settings, and I've tried swapping the network cable for the one I used before with my XR500.

Is there any way this can be fixed with a firmware update? I'm really discouraged by thinking about having to replace it, seeing as it was difficult to find one in stock in the first place. Thanks for reading all of this.

Travis

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
twalls1
Aspirant

I downgraded the firmware from 1.0.1.2 to 1.0.0.20 and did a factory reset. The WAN port has stayed up for over 2 hours now, so this is very promising. Disappointing to lose the Hybrid VPN, but I'd rather have a stable connection at this point.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 22

All Replies
twalls1
Aspirant

I downgraded the firmware from 1.0.1.2 to 1.0.0.20 and did a factory reset. The WAN port has stayed up for over 2 hours now, so this is very promising. Disappointing to lose the Hybrid VPN, but I'd rather have a stable connection at this point.

Message 2 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Travis, sorry to hear you're having this issue. Do you notice anything about your network activity when the WAN port drops? A heavy download, no internet usage at all etc? Likely something that can be fixed with an update but hard to tell until the cause can be diagnosed.
Message 3 of 22
twalls1
Aspirant

Hi Fraser,

I don't think I was able to come up with any rhyme or reason for why the WAN connection would drop. It felt more like it was a matter of time rather than load. I could never seem to stay connected for more than 20 minutes, but the amount of time would vary. I could run speed tests, etc. and it would stay up for the duration of the test and afterwards. I could leave everything alone and still see the connection drop on the statistics page.

That said, downgrading to the previous firmware has apparently worked around the issue for now. This is looking like a firmware issue as opposed to a hardware one.

Thanks!

Travis

Message 4 of 22
slompochomp
Guide

I have not seen this issue.
1.png2.png
Maybe Hard Reset the modem and or check the dBmV levels on your modem; they should be within -7 to +7 dBmV. It sounds more like a connection drop or communication issue with the modem. I have yet to see this happon sence beta testing this unit.
3.png

Message 5 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay thanks for the update, when the next version is released please see if you experience it on that version
Message 6 of 22
StoneCold_X
Tutor

I have a similiar issue. My internet has gone offline at least 3 times since starting using this router on Thursday. It hasn’t happened twice overnight where I have woke up to Internet Offline status and once while I was at work. WIFi still looks connected so you don’t realize until you try to use the internet. Then I check the status through the app. A reboot of the router gets a connection back, but only a matter of time before it goes offline again.
Message 7 of 22
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for letting us know this is happening to you too. If you have not done so already, please downgrade back a version to see if it fixes the problem: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XR700/XR700-V1.0.0.20.zip

Message 8 of 22
StoneCold_X
Tutor

So far so good. I downgraded the firmware last night, and I didn’t lose internet connection overnight for the first time since installing the router.
Message 9 of 22

I have found a fix for connecting dropped issue and it is link to ipv6. After many hours of review logs and connection testing I found there was bug within the firmware. I not 100% what it is as I not able to go in to code but it linked to ARP table.
As long as turn on ipv6 and make sure ipv6 DHCP on it will fix it the issue. After this no more connection dropping. I played two hours on wow and perfect.
Message 10 of 22
Talontedd
Apprentice

I had issues dropping connection too.  Looking in log I saw ARP lookup errors asscoiated with IPv6 addresses. Downgrading firmware as suggested here fixed my issue.  Did not have issue on XR500, had issues with XR700 on v1.0.1.2.  Going back to v1.0.0.20 fixed my issues.  

Message 11 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks all, I've forward this to a member of the XR700 team for them to have a look at. Hopefully they can identify the cause.
Message 12 of 22
StoneCold_X
Tutor

Now it is happening on 1.0.0.20 firmware. So disappointed in the amount of money spent on this router and it works like crap. Can’t believe it was released like this.
Message 13 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that StoneCold. Could you disable the 60GHz WiFi from Advanced Settings and see if that improves it please
Message 14 of 22
Talontedd
Apprentice

XR500 with exact same settings works without issue - hence suspect not ISP side issue.

Firmware version

XR500 V2.3.2.32

Observations between two firmware versions operating on XR700

On V1.0.0.20 WAN kept connection for greater than 2 days...ISP issue last night so it reset with valid cause.

On V1.0.1.2 WAN will drop every 5-12mins on average.  Very quick drop, 2-3sec interuption.

In both cases an erase settings option was used before loading firmware. Made no difference two times I have tried V1.0.1.2 firmware - same results shown as above.

Log shows nothing unsual before internet dropped message captured in log - note earliest entry is at bottom, most recent is at top..

Here is example of log with everyhting turned on to report (IP addresses partially x'd by me)

[DumaOS] Error parsing line in ARP table: 'fe80::280f:56b1:xxxx:xxxx dev br0 lladdr 2c:54:91:db:de:79 STALE', Wednesday, October

[Internet connected] IP address: 69.xx.xx.xx, Wednesday, October 31, 2018 21:16:02

[DumaOS] No wifi metadata for mac '6c:33:a9:xx:xx:xx', Wednesday, October 31, 2018 21:15:43

[DumaOS] No wifi metadata for mac '8c:3b:ad:xx:xx:xx', Wednesday, October 31, 2018 21:15:43

XR700 setup is very basic... 

WAN = DHCP from provider

LAN = DHCP using default value / range; two devices set to fixed addresses.

GEO filter - no devices added

QOS = on with traffic, ABB @ 70%, DL = 135 UP = 12.3 (inside actual pf 150/15); 1 device added

Device BW sharing = equal to 9 devices (8%) favor 1 device = XB given (28%)

Wireless 2.4GHz off / 5GHz on / 60Ghz off

Device 9 hardwired; 1 on 5GHz

LAG dynamic enabled and active - connected to SX10 switch

IPv6 off

Media server enabled; Tivo support = on; iTunes = off

Readyshare all default - not USB device attached

Tivo support = off

Cloudbackup = off

Port Forwarding = default; no rules set

Port Triggering = default; no rules set

Dynamic DNS = off

VPN = off

Static routes = nothing set

Remote mgt = off

UPnP = on; 30/4

IPv6 disabled

VLAN = off

LED = blinking

PLEX = not downloaded

Something not right with unit / firmware at this time.

Notes for v1.0.0.20

Devices manager does not update / shows device state incorrectly

It is possible to have a device show as having two IP addresses..FYI XR500 can achieve this too and not resolve itself.

In traffic prioritization a device added will show wrong device type; consoles all show as XBOX even though is listed as playstation in device manager

Message 15 of 22
slompochomp
Guide

Maybe run a Debug Capture through http://routerlogin.net/debug.htm that way you have some more data to give to support.

Message 16 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I have given this to the team so hopefully they can figure out the cause/follow up with you. The debug capture would be very helpful as well, thanks for the suggestion slomp.

@Altsai
Message 17 of 22
StoneCold_X
Tutor

Unfortunately disabling 60GHz did not work.

I even turned on IPv6 and still no go.

My connection lasted for a while but it went down this morning.

Message 18 of 22
Talontedd
Apprentice

XR700 WAN Interface Going Up/Down Periodically on V1.0.1.2

I have tried both v1.0.1.2 and v1.0.0.20 again.

V1.0.0.20 ran for 2 days no connection loss on LAN or WAN (as shown in stats)

V1.0.1.2 ran for less than 5 minutes before WAN dropped..reset and so the cycle begins

I believe I captured debug correctly.  Is safe to attach here or should submit direct to admin via another means.

Message 19 of 22
slompochomp
Guide

Maybe throw it up on a cloud service and send the link to @Netduma-Fraser , he should be able to forward it to the Dev team.

Message 20 of 22
StoneCold_X
Tutor

I switched back to my old router on Friday and haven’t lost the connection once since. There is something definitely wrong with the XR700
Message 21 of 22
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

Re: XR700 WAN Interface Going Up/Down Periodically on V1.0.1.2

provide all debugging log to NTGR admin to fix your issue

Message 22 of 22
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements