× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR700 Wifi disconnects

mxa
Tutor
Tutor

XR700 Wifi disconnects

Hi all, 

I am continuously getting wifi dropouts for certain devices. If i reboot the router or disconnect the device from the wifi it may connect again or may not ...only to disconnect a few mins later. It appears it just does not want to hold on to an ip address. The logs are filled with DHCP lease changes. I have over 50 devices connected wirelessesly some work flawlessly and some dont. Even the devices that do not work sometimes appear to show in the device list as connected.

Things I have tried:

Changing all wireless settings

Setting static ips

Netgear support rep thought this was a hardware issue so I returned and purchased another one - this one is exhibiting the same behavior

Things that worked temporarily:

Resetting up the network with a new ssid and password and adding each device one by one. (also adding to the list of things I will not do again!) I had about 20 days of stable uptime but after I rebooted the router because DUMAOS page was not loading many tabs. It is back to exhibiting the same behavior.

I requested a beta firmware from the DUMAOS forum earlier today but still have not recieved any word yet. 

Pretty frustrated at this point and at the point of giving up and getting something else.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 65

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: XR700 Wifi disconnects

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Might try downgrading to v20...

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 65

All Replies
logan_001
Aspirant

I have the exact same issues...

Message 2 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Might try downgrading to v20...

Message 3 of 65
mxa
Tutor
Tutor

Yes downgrading to 0.20 and hardresetting a couple of times was my solution, I posted this in another thread since this post didnt get visibility until now.

Message 4 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Good. Thanks for letting us know. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 65
logan_001
Aspirant

Mine didnt get better with the downgrade. I have a SB8200 modem. The problem got worse when I change from having two ip addresses down to one with faster service(gigabit). I can no longer get two IP's where I live. I'll try different channels and see where that gets me.
Message 6 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

What are your wired speeds? 

Changing ISP services will not effect this...

@logan_001 wrote:
Mine didnt get better with the downgrade. I have a SB8200 modem. The problem got worse when I change from having two ip addresses down to one with faster service(gigabit). I can no longer get two IP's where I live. I'll try different channels and see where that gets me.

Message 7 of 65
logan_001
Aspirant

My wired speeds directly from the modem average about 945, out of the router I cant get above 400mbs. Wireless are a steady 300mbs.
Message 8 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

logan - If you disable QoS from Anti-Bufferbloat settings do you get similar speeds as from the modem?
Message 9 of 65
logan_001
Aspirant

No the speeds stay the same.
Message 10 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that usually indicates an issue upstream. Set the XR700 MAC address to the MAC address of the previous router you used that got full speeds. Apply then reboot the router and retry the test.
Message 11 of 65
logan_001
Aspirant

This is the only router I have used since upgrading my speed to gigabit service.
Message 12 of 65
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

And when you upgraded to gigabit service did they provide you with a new modem?

Message 13 of 65
logan_001
Aspirant

No I own my modem. It's only about 5 months old. I had Xfinity come out yet again and it seems my speeds are where they need to be. I am still having problems with the XR700. Devices are losing connection and in order to reconnect I have to reboot the router, which would be fine except i have most of my house has smart light switched, bulbs, echos etc and I have to manually connect them every time. Seems maybe there is a problem with DHCP.
Message 14 of 65
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Your smart devices don't reconnect by themselves?

Message 15 of 65
logan_001
Aspirant

No and they should. I have set up as many as I can with static IP's but it didn't help.
Message 16 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you downgrade to the .20 version and see if that resolves both the issues please?
Message 17 of 65
logan_001
Aspirant

Ok I am currently running the 1.0.1.10 version
Message 18 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did downgrading resolve your issue?
Message 19 of 65
logan_001
Aspirant

No it did not. It seems to happen about every 7 days. Everything disconnects and only a few devices can obtain a valid ip. Then I have to factory reset the router and connect every device again.
Message 20 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay so that could be around the time the DHCP lease renews. By any chance do the devices that still work have a static IP set?
Message 21 of 65
logan_001
Aspirant

No. It seems random. It looks like devices start grabbing IP's and get about 10 devices. After that they stop and if you try to connect something else(tablet,phone, game console) they say cant connect to your DHCP t try rebooting your router. That doesnt work.
Message 22 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How big is your DHCP pool of IP addresses to choose from? E.g. 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.250
Message 23 of 65
logan_001
Aspirant

I have tried a variety of ranges. .10-.100, .100-.200, .50-.150 and then entire range.
Message 24 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's very odd and you say a reboot doesn't resolve it? If you apply the LAN Settings again does that kick it into action? Also how are you using WiFi, smart connect or connecting individually? HT160, MUMIMO?
Message 25 of 65
Discussion stats
  • 64 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7