× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR700 connection drops every 3-5 minutes wired

surfy
Aspirant

XR700 connection drops every 3-5 minutes wired

While playing Fortnite, Overwatch, Black Ops4, SMITE, or any matchmaking game, I am disconnected momentarily for about 5 seconds. Most of the time I am entered back into the match but sometimes I am not (or I was killed).  This never happened with my Nighthawk X10, which I just replaced last week. I've been playing with the settings, even following the DumaOS Optimizing guide but nothing has resolved this issue. Also, when I connect directly to my CM700 modem, I don't have this issue. When I connect back my Nighthawk X10, I don't have this issue. From what I've searched online, tthis issue appears to be happening often enough for me to consider returning it (periodic disconnection). For a $500 router, and the Netgear brand (which I've absolutely enjoyed for years with no isses), this is an utter disappointment. I will be patient for a few more days to try more troubleshooting...

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR700 connection drops every 3-5 minutes wired

Sorry to hear you're having that issue. A few questions to get a better idea of what is happening:
Is the internet dropped for every device connected to the router or just the gaming device?
Is it the internet dropping or just a drop out from the game?
Are you using the Geo-Filter when playing these games?
If so do you notice anything being blocked on the Geo-Filter Map when the issue occurs?
Message 2 of 6
rxman4453
Guide

If possible downgrade to firmware 1.0.0.20.  (Firmwares: 1.0.1.2 and 1.0.1.8 are not stable - there is a bug in the software).

Message 3 of 6
surfy
Aspirant

I’ll try that...thanks.
Message 4 of 6
surfy
Aspirant

Hi,
The router is in default settings. The internet is dropping for every device, wireless and wired. I’ve tried the geo-filter and experienced the same drop rate( I had the geo-filter set up to work as a Pure Ping filter). I got the router to be much more stable by changing the connection type for IPV6 to 6to4. Instead of every 3-5 minutes, the drop occurs about once every half hour.

The internet is completely dropping as I was watching the status window for both a wired and wireless connection, and while purposely downloading a 20 Gb file to ensure the computers were sending/receiving packets for at least 20 min. I also had the DumaOS page open and every time the internet would appear to cut out, the site would prompt me to enter my credentials.
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Were you able to downgrade FW? Others mention after doing this, this seems to have stopped the diconnects on the XR router. 

@surfy wrote:
Hi,
The router is in default settings. The internet is dropping for every device, wireless and wired. I’ve tried the geo-filter and experienced the same drop rate( I had the geo-filter set up to work as a Pure Ping filter). I got the router to be much more stable by changing the connection type for IPV6 to 6to4. Instead of every 3-5 minutes, the drop occurs about once every half hour.

The internet is completely dropping as I was watching the status window for both a wired and wireless connection, and while purposely downloading a 20 Gb file to ensure the computers were sending/receiving packets for at least 20 min. I also had the DumaOS page open and every time the internet would appear to cut out, the site would prompt me to enter my credentials.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7