× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR700: devices disconnect after installed smart light switches

ShadowMelt
Apprentice

XR700: devices disconnect after installed smart light switches

Hello, I'm need of help with my router. I enjoy this router and I have no issues with this router until recently. I recently purchased 9 smart switches and installed. I connected each to my 2.4g wifi. When I got to the last one I noticed some of my other devices were disconnected. I could not get anthem to reconnect. 5 light switches would not connect and ring secruity also an xbox would not connect to either 2.4 or 5g wifi. So I factory reset router and switches everything was going fine until reconnected the last switch. I dont know why it disconnects other devices like ring that have nothing to deal with the switch. After 3 factory resets of the router I dont knowing this is a ip conflict or not but nothing will connect that has been disconnected.
Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

Re: XR700: devices disconnect after installed smart light switches

Okay I think I figured it out. I changed to guest network and it did not work. The light switches are connecting all at the same time and I mean exactly at the sametime. So I hit the breaker for all the light switches and noticed everything connected. I waited 1 to 2 minutes to let everything connect. After that I turned on the breaker for the switches and they connected and everything else stayed connected. So i restarted the router and noticed it happened again so i repeated the process and it worked. So i think the router has an issue with too many devices connecting at the exact moment which these light switches are probably retrying to connect at the exact moment over and over. My light switches are iotty smart light switches.

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 21

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have Smart Connect enabled? If so disable that. How many devices in total do you have connected to the router?
Message 2 of 21
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

Its disabled, last I saw it was 30
Message 3 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you try enabling guest WiFi and then connecting them to that please and see if it makes a difference?
Message 4 of 21
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

I did another factory reset, this time changing SSID and leaving one switch not connected to current wifi. Everything seems to work atm. I'm afraid to connect last switch
Message 5 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is it the same switch you connect last every time or a different one? Try it and see, if it is the same one try connecting first, if it happens immediately then that is the cause. If not then try the guest wifi.
Message 6 of 21
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

Okay, this driving me nuts. Had cable guy come and he replaced the modem, anyways he tested the speeds through the router with his phone to show everything was working. After he left I looked at my phone and it saying connected to wifi without internet. Then I realized all the switches were disconnected all over again. Only like 5 devices for 2.4ghz and 5ghz were each connected to router at a given time. It like out of nowhere the router limits how many devices are connected at a time. It's like there is one change it it all goes down hill

Edit: the 5 devices each wifi signal can get internet just fine but the switches are retrying to connect but router wont let them. Then some other devices wont connect either
Message 7 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Try them with 2.4GHz guest WiFi as that is more likely to work I think.
Message 8 of 21
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

I'm trying figure out why this is happening the only thing that happened was the cable guy connected his phone and it all went down. I'll try guest wifi but I really just want it to work. Half of my devices are not obtaining ip addresses from router
Message 9 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you changed any LAN Settings at all? Do you know if you use an Internet login (PPPoE) in Internet Setup or VLAN?
Message 10 of 21
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

No login required, it's like I connect 20 devices after factory reset and after that the router wants to limit 5 per SSID
Message 11 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

This is really peculiar, so you haven't changed any LAN Settings? Have you tried the guest WiFi?
Message 12 of 21
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

Okay now I got home from work and all the switches were connected and so is everything else. Never touched the router when I got home but all is working. I dont know what's going on but everything connected.
Message 13 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Very strange, glad it is working! If it happens again try the guest network and let us know.
Message 14 of 21
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

Woke up this morning and it is doing again, went to device manager and saw 80% of my devices disconnected. Did not add anything or change anything. All light switches, my phone and xbox's disconnected for no reason. Its again limiting 5 devices for each SSID. Attached is what I'm seeing.
Message 15 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm really not sure why this could be happening. First try the guest network, if it's still an issue then put the router in AP mode - that will disable DumaOS features and help to determine if it is one for us to look into or for Netgear.
Message 16 of 21
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

I tried AP mode and that did not go well at all, my hardwired connections would not connect and the other devices were still disconnected. I did some researching online and found someone with same exact problem here is the url

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/30744-xr700-failed-to-obtain-ip-address-uanble-to-connect-with-wifi-...

Edit: I'm on my 8th factory reset, I like this router but something is causing this
Message 17 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's very confusing, we'll be looking into it but likely won't be a quick resolution. I'd suggest you make a ticket with Netgear as they may have seen this issue before and sounds like it may be an issue on their end http://support.netgear.com/
Message 18 of 21
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

Okay I think I figured it out. I changed to guest network and it did not work. The light switches are connecting all at the same time and I mean exactly at the sametime. So I hit the breaker for all the light switches and noticed everything connected. I waited 1 to 2 minutes to let everything connect. After that I turned on the breaker for the switches and they connected and everything else stayed connected. So i restarted the router and noticed it happened again so i repeated the process and it worked. So i think the router has an issue with too many devices connecting at the exact moment which these light switches are probably retrying to connect at the exact moment over and over. My light switches are iotty smart light switches.
Message 19 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Wow, well done for figuring that out, it helps us narrow it down. Ill pass this onto the team.
Message 20 of 21
ShadowMelt
Apprentice

Yeah please send it to the teams, I have a lot of devices connecting and it takes pretty much the whole day to reset everything after a factory reset. Everytime I decide do a factory reset I'm pretty much dedicated to running around the whole house connecting everything. I love the router making gaming experience super but I want it to also handle all my smart technology at the sametime
Message 21 of 21
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7